Alex3410 - My Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TK421

Re: Alex3410 - My Railway

Postby TK421 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:43 pm

You can find the set of cj freezer plans on ebay for £3.00. You beat me to my edited post but put some info about graidents in there.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:35 pm

Thank you for the reply very helpful - you make a good point about being able to access things under the raised section as well as trying it out to experiment

I might try and plan it so that the raised section could be added at a later date to keep things simple for now but like the idea of having another level

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:08 pm

latest update - 7 of the 8 baseboards have been built and are in place :D

I got myself an electric saw before i started and its been worth its weight in gold

speeds up the whole process and results in straight cuts unlike me doing it with a normal saw :lol:

just a single baseboard to build and install now and then all i need to do is deal with the 'lift out' section - are there any tips or guide you would recommended for this? I would like a lift up section but don't think there is room for it so it will need to lift out completely

I did get some trestles from Ikea in an attempt to speed up the process but they take up to much room under the baseboards for my liking (will need it for stage space) but they have been really useful for holding the baseboards up while i install its legs

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:50 pm

alex3410 wrote:
just a single baseboard to build and install now and then all i need to do is deal with the 'lift out' section - are there any tips or guide you would recommended for this? I would like a lift up section but don't think there is room for it so it will need to lift out completely

Try and site it in a location with as little track going across it as possible.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:06 am

a handy tip thanks :) i am making sure that there are no points what so ever across the gap

my original plan was to build a 'bridge' section for each track that needed to pass over the gap with my thought process being it would be easier to lift in/out but am know leaning towards a single span that fills in the whole gap as it will give me more flexibility with the track plans

last permanent baseboard has been put together and just needs installing and legs creating then i can start the lift out bit :D

my plan is to have a train running again by the end of the weekend even if its just a single loop :lol:

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:13 pm

all of the baseboards are now in place as well as the removable section - for now i have just placed the track over this and will probably just leave it in place all of the time and crawl under the board to get it only removing it if something big needs to go into or out of the loft

i have started laying track and pinning it down as well as installing the feed wires ready to be connected up to the main bus wire

I did have my DC controller wired up and ran a few trains around for the first time in weeks which was a nice mile stone - kind of miss the DC controller as well it had a more tactile feel to it which DCC seems to lack but makes up for it in its convenience

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:14 pm

about time i updated this!

really pleased with my decision to move everything around the longer running distance is fantastic :D

only problem i am having is 2 / 8 boards where reused from the old layout but are thin MDF so they are starting to warp :twisted: i need to put some more supports in to hopefully sort it out but every time i go up i end up playing instead :lol:

i have moved the station area away from the curve as it was more trouble then it was worth, only issue is that its now over the lift out section but that's now in place permanently but I had not been taking it out anyway!

please excuse the mess :wink:

starting with top right:

bottom right:

bottom:

bottom left:

left side:

top left:

top:

finally latest addition to my collection :D :

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:56 am

A quick video showing the layout to give you a better idea on how they link together

I have to say i love my SECR C class running around - even with LNER coaches :lol:

TK421

Postby TK421 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:35 am

alex3410 wrote:A quick video showing the layout to give you a better idea on how they link together

I have to say i love my SECR C class running around - even with LNER coaches :lol:

When I saw your photos I thought she was a LNER loco at first she went so well those coaches. The layout is looking good mate.

(On a side note I received the J83 and she runs great, I know it's a while back now :lol: )
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:58 pm

brilliant thanks for letting me know :D

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi Alex, is your layout a fixture or will the boards remain portable. You mentioned the need for extra supports, not difficult in a loft if it's a fixed layout. If they are intended to be moveable I have a couple of tests I apply to determine rigidity. With the two ends supported it shouldnt sag with a 10kilo weight placed at the centre, if raised by one corner it shouldn't flex. You seem to have done well fitting in the boards between the roof timbers. Our loft was clear of them but its low pitch made standing up a pain in the neck, literally.
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Its not going to be taken down / moved unless we move out as its a rented property - i constructed each of the boards as 'stand alone' units and bolted them together with the idea behind it being when we do move it should be easier to dismantle (should being the key word there :lol: ) and possibly reused in different configurations in the future if required

The extra support will just need to hold the MDF up where it is starting to flex between the cross beams so it should just be a single bit of wood cut to size and screwed in place - although i might add more supports along the section that will hold up the 2nd level as its going to add a fair bit of weight

I managed to get them to fit after measuring and planning several times :lol: i was a few centre metres out here and there but thankfully they mostly just slotted into place - you can see in the top right image where i had to add a bit of wood between two of the boards that where slightly short but it filled in the gap perfectly :D

I am in two minds about the scenery if to do it all or just sections as i imagine allot of it will get disturbed when we move - no plans yet but will happen in the future at some point.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:41 pm

Dismantle ....... that's only half the story when you move - How to move without destruction is more
important !! I would be cautious about too much fixed scenery as that's what will be lost. Try to keep trees,
buildings, & such lift off so they could be protected in boxes during a move.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:08 am

I wont stick anything down i can get away with leaving 'lose' - or will use blue tack to keep it in place - With ballasting how likely is it that i will be able to reuse the track or should i assume i wont?

I have added two extra crossbeam supports to the section that was dipping and it seems to have sorted the problem and i can now use all 3 loops again!

hopefully at the weekend i can pick up some more track and will be able to start thinking about doing the top section, in the meantime a few more shoots of my new C class - again with the LNER coaches but they just fit together so nicely :lol:

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:12 am

looking brilliant there, I love the combination with the teak coaches. on the SVR they have been running schools class "Cheltenham" with their teaks and she looks fantastic there too.

Re the track, you probably can recycle the track after sticking the ballast down, you just need to soak it in warm water for a while (I heard) although not tried it myself yet, I've yet to go through enough permutations of layouts for the need to arise!
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”