Alex3410 - My Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Jimmy77

Re: Alex3410 - My Railway

Postby Jimmy77 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:29 am

Good work Alex, cracking job so far!

Cheers,

Jimmy
My N gauge layout in the workshop
Layout

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:18 am

Thanks guys,

i need to work out which track i can reuse from my old layout and order the new bits - hoping to do this at the weekend - keen to get trains running again!

i didn't opt for a lift out section for two reasons 1) I dont think my skills are good enough to do it well - especially as its on a corner 2) I did have a lift out section in my loft layout but never used it and always went under it so chances are even if i did build one in i would end up ducking under it anyway :lol:

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:28 am

The shed looks great and should be nice and warm in winter - you'll still have to brave the cold to reach it though!

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:14 am

about time i updated this, spent the weekend away so not as much progress as i had hoped but its going well - faster then previous projects anyway considering the amount of work involved getting shed ready. Lots of photos because thats what i like to see when browsing and to lazy to read :lol:

Lights installed - i did install three light points but the two LED light bulbs i got are more then enough to light the shed so the middle one is empty at the moment - if i dont use in in the next month or so i will think about taking it down. You can also see the first coat of white wood primer on the boards

ImageUntitled by alex3410, on Flickr

getting the supplies ready to start - the sweets are from the beach over the weekend :lol: you can also now see the boards with a second coat and the walls with a single coat

first bit of track down

testing the track so far

testing the track via DC as i had a few new locos i wanted to test that i have not chipped yet

once the main loop had been tested the next step was to start to install track feeds, i used fish plates that had already been soldered to feeder wires which made life so much easier and i would recommended them to anyone needing to connect the track up - worth every penny!!

simply drill two holes where the track meets and pop them in before feeding them onto the track - take your time when positioning the holes as it makes the track sit perfectly flat if you get them in the correct place. I positioned the track and used a pencil to mark the positions, something that works brilliantly on the white paint!

finally i marked the feeds so that i can easily see where they are located when i comes to connecting them all up

next on my to do list is lay the rest of the track, at the moment i only have the main loop in place i need to lay the rest of it and then install all of the track feeds to match.

after this i need to install the DCC bus and connect all of the track feeds up to this to provide power to all sections of track - after this i will be able to play for a bit before thinking about what i need to do next :lol:

you can see the main loop being tested in my first video of my new layout here

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:58 am

Alex,

Looking good...

I also use the pre soldered/wired fishplates, for N it is an absolute godsend! When ballasted, they completely disappear.

Best of luck with the project, I shall watch with interest

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:19 pm

No doubt someone will be along soon saying that soldering to rail joiners is not reliable in the long term, but I have never had any problem.

I personally would have left a bit more space between the track and the back to fit in some scenery, but like I say that is just personal choice. It looks nice and smooth in the video.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:43 pm

thanks for the feedback, good point about the distance from the wall i might look at it again once the tracks down :)

in the meantime an updated index of the thread:
Index
1) Layout V1
2) Layout V2
3) Layout V3
4) Magazine coach repaints
5) Hornby rail road tanker project
6) Tri-ang Jinty project
7) Inglenook Sidings project
8) Layout V4 - 8x8 Shed
8) Layout V4 - 8x8 Shed - track laying

trying to document this one as much as i can because it will be good to look back over it

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:36 pm

:twisted: one of my recycled right hand points has fallen to bits, i don't have any spares so need to order one now. if only it had been a left hand i have about 8 spares of those - typical! :lol:

edit:
grrrr even paying for next day its going to be Wednesday before it turns up not to mention the cost of next day, its a pain that there is no shops near buy that stock track :(

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:44 pm

alex3410 wrote::twisted: one of my recycled right hand points has fallen to bits, i don't have any spares so need to order one now. if only it had been a left hand i have about 8 spares of those - typical! :lol:

edit:
grrrr even paying for next day its going to be Wednesday before it turns up not to mention the cost of next day, its a pain that there is no shops near buy that stock track :(

Always the way, I always seem to have half a dozen sets of points going the wrong way, and none going the right :(
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:09 pm

i have ordered two pairs of right hand points to be sure :lol: first class postage though so should hopefully come soon

in the meantime i have installed the DCC bus - i am using a kit from Railwayscenics from ebay this includes everything you need to install the bus, coupled with the pre soldered fish plates it means you can install it all without needing a soldering iron :D

once i installed the DCC bus wire i then used these clips to connect up the track feeds - i also used them to connect the two ends of the bus together

this is one i used to test the system, the top wire would be the bus wire which runs though the clip - the second is the track feed which only enters one side of the clip. Once its in place simply use pliers to 'clamp' down the clip and secure it all in place

this is it in place under the layout

finally the DCC system is connected up (also using the clips)

i need to connect up the installed track feeds and finish installing the new feeds when the new point turns up - then test, test, test (aka playing) :lol:

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:16 pm

Impressive work, you have a done great job with the groundwork should make things alot easier for you down the road.
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:30 pm

thank you :)

Video of eye level when sitting down would have posted it with other post but its taken forever to upload!

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:32 pm

The wiring looks very meticulous - makes me wish I had done the same with my layout. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:32 pm

its only because on the last layout it looked like a rats nest :lol:

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:36 pm

My layout has only one feed per track; unfortunately this means that there are several 'dead' sections and with the benefit of hindsight this could have been solved with more elaborate wiring - even if it would have been a mess.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”