Alex3410 - My Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
alex3410

Re: Alex3410 - My Railway

Postby alex3410 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Still limited progress, its the blooming point motors that are causing trouble at the moment and its really off putting :twisted:

i connected up a second one that needs to switch at the same time as the first for a cross over, this time around my issue was shorting out when locos ran over the points. I think i have narrowed it down to the frog polarity not changing on one of the sets of points - the reason for this guess is the issue seems to be intermittent.

Essentially what i think is happening is the point motors are not getting enough of a kick to fully switch (even though the point blades move over OK) which means the frogs not switching?

i tested this theory by switching the points twice which seems to elevate the shorting.

so any thoughts on best solution? my first thought is a more powerful CDU (any suggestions?) - well its my first practical thought, the first few involved a hammer :lol:

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:08 pm

I use the Gaugemaster CDU, and I too have a double set of points to throw (Peco code-100 Electrofrogs), and it has no issues.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:37 pm

I have swapped out the CDU

i have taken the left one out and popped the right one in - the points are now switching perfectly and the frogs seem to be switching reliably as well.

Moving on from that win i started installing the 3rd point motor & after some troubleshooting issues i managed to get it working, but, its not reliable :evil:

Really getting fed up with these point motors now! I think the issue this time is the wire i am using to route the CDU to the point motor its: Size: 24/0.2 14amp 0.75mm csa

Would welcome some advice on this, is the issue the wire? if so what size / spec should i use?

i am dreading getting around to installing a few point motors that are in difficult to reach places!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:07 pm

24/0.2 should be man enough, unless the run is more than many meters!
Is the point free? Does the point motor work well when not connected to point?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:07 am

Yes & yes, the run is maybe 3m tops

What's getting me is it works sometimes but not reliably- I can't seem to figure out what's causing it to fail.

The other points are ok but they are practically connected directly to the CDU

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:35 am

Well after yesterday's weather I am pleased to say the roof of my shed is still in one piece :D - and still on the shed :lol:

The same can't be said for the neighbors fence which is sat in our garden!

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Ending point of The 2017 Forum Competition entry

Having being tasked with making pancakes tonight i wont get time to take summing up images for the forum competition but to be honest its not moved on visually really from this post so take that as my ending point for the competition.

I was really hoping to have all of the point motors installed but i underestimated how much of a pain they are to get installed and working, if i am being honest its really frustrating and along side a few other excuses :lol: its why i have not made much progress recently. Next time around i think i am going to go with a smaller project thats more achievable & that has nothing at all to do with point motors :wink:

From my starting point i am happy with the progress made, even if it was all at the start! It was a big decision to rip it all up and start again but overall i am pleased with the new layout of track and am looking forward to getting to sit and watch things go by.

make sure you check out video of inner loop testing and the 009 section videos

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:11 pm

Well as its been over a year, its probably about time i updated this thread :lol:

The big change is i am now onto layout V6 :roll: the change has been triggered by a move of the layout from the shed into the loft, i have pulled it all up and am starting from scratch.

the big plus is the increased running length the loft offers, the downside is the loft gets hotter then the shed but cant have everything.

Loft Layout V6
Not much visually interesting to report so far, i have put up the frame of the layout - i am using open frame design with L girders which i have found to be fairly easy to get level etc - this time i am going to do open frame properly so supports/baseboard only for the track.

I have put up shelves on each side of the loft to help with stock storage, i have also put up strip lights on each side
ImageUntitled by Alex, on Flickr

One of the sides of the loft is going to form a fiddle yard, because of this the whole section will be covered in board not open frame like the rest of it. First by putting in supports

Then covering it in scraps of MDF

The problem with any flat surface is you tend to use it for storage :lol:

My current job is to start to put the loops into place, by installing supports and placing the baseboard ontop of them, i am using scraps of wood from an old bookshelf at the moment

I am trying out using cork, i have covered the top with it and will trim it when the tracks in place

i have only got one section in place but its progress!

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:16 pm

Some more progress today, i have got the first curve in place as well as the far long stretch for the two loops up until the viaduct which i have reused from the old layout. The cork is down and drying - hence the paint pots etc :lol:

My goal is to get at least one of the loops connected up so i can start to run something.

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Mon May 28, 2018 11:43 pm

Hi, great stuff going on here, and I echo what you say about flat surfaces ha. I notice that you are using the Hornby viaduct / arches. I really like these and think that they look so much better than card. I have used them myself. I have also noticed like me you have got a cross over on it. I have had no end of issues trying to mount point motors under the arches, have you got a plan for this ?

Cheers

Coops
Derby Friargate GN

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:40 am

I am not planning on using point motors at all, I had no end of trouble with them last time & have decided to keep things simple this time around :lol:

The crossover you can see is actually some old hornby points that I am using to check spacing ready for when I start laying track - I know that set track spacing is a tad on the oversize side but I am happy enough with it.

The current track plan won’t have crossovers there, I didn’t think I would be able to see how they where set easily so didn’t want to put them there.

Sorry I can’t be of more help with yours but good luck with it :)

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:37 am

The weekend was spent putting the rest of the baseboard tops in place, my local Homebase selection of wood/MDF etc is naff - they used to be OK but ~ a year ago its all gone south, the problem was its the only place near by thats open on bank holiday!

I ended up with 12mm MDF sheets rather then the 9mm i had used for the rest of it, each 1/4 sheet was £15 however so an expensive way of doing it!

I have also ran out of cork after covering maybe 3/4 of the scenic areas, i have ordered another set and hopefully will have enough to finish the scenic areas as well as the fiddle yard, i had planned on reusing the peco foam i had on the last layout but would rather it in cork i think.

The main reason for the update however is i have started to lay track, i need to tidy up before i post photos of that however :oops: :lol: but i have opted to solder the track feeds directly to the track this time! normally i opt for the pre soldered fish plates but the cost of this was going to be an issue with the size of the layout so i thought i would give it a try:

don't get my wrong its awful fiddly work but the end result looks better and should give me better reliability in the long run, i am not going to solder every single bit but maybe every 2nd or 3rd section - we will see how fed up of soldering i get :lol:

I have also started to put the DCC bus wire in place under the baseboards, something i should have done before finishing the tops as it would have saved crawling under them but you live and learn!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed May 30, 2018 12:02 pm

Very good. You should find soldering to the track like this should be more reliable then soldering to the railjoiners. I tend to solder to the sides of the rails as though it is more visible, the larger area being soldered makes it easier. Your way is more hidden though may be a pain to avoid melted sleepers. Nice work though. Its great to see.
See below ↓

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:17 pm

Thank you :)

your right it is a pain trying not to melt the sleepers, i started with my soldering iron pointed tip but it didn't seem to have enough heat to melt the solder. When i switched back to my normal one it works but its a lot larger so catches the plastic (easy to melt :lol: ) sleepers if your not careful.

Luckily the few times it has so far have been only slight and on the bottom so you cant see them.

Its a good point about having more space on the side, if the bottoms cause me issues i might swap over to doing the sides - especially for the back rail which you wouldn't see anyway.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed May 30, 2018 12:53 pm

Just dont do the insides where the wheel flanges run! :D
See below ↓

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”