Alex3410 - My Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
alex3410

Alex3410 - My Railway

Postby alex3410 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Index
1) Layout V1
2) Layout V2
3) Layout V3
4) Magazine coach repaints
5) Hornby rail road tanker project
6) Tri-ang Jinty project
7) Inglenook Sidings project
8) Layout V4 - 8x8 Shed
9) Layout V4 - 8x8 Shed - track laying
10) Layout V4 - starting to look at scenery
10) Layout V5 - 2016/2017 - starting from scratch

Hi all,
This thread is for updates on my layout and projects that I am working on, my current 'layout' is simply track on a baseboard on the floor in my loft - it has done for the past few months after getting back into the hobby but I have something better planned - just need to gather the bits :lol:

In the meantime I have been working on a restoration project (my first) of a Tri-ang R559 0-4-0 Diesel Shunter a really nice looking locomotive that I have been after for awhile only a few on eBay which where going for £20+ a little to high for my budget but then i managed to win a action for £6 (+£3 P&P) only problem was it had been painted black, had damage and showed no signs of life:
ImageImageImage

I stripped the paint off using oven cleaner - took a little while it had two coats of paint the black on the outside and a blue one under that (stripped some other projects at the same time):
ImageImage

with it looking a significantly better colour i fixed the damage to the body using plastic card and gave it a coat of green paint and added new transfers - its not 100% perfect but will do for now I will revisit it again in a few months time. I stripped the motor all of the way down gave it a good clean put it all back together and it runs perfectly :D

ImageImageImageImage

Link to You-Tube video of the locomotive running

Very happy with the result - few more pics here

Layout V1
Last edited by alex3410 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:53 am, edited 6 times in total.

whynot

Re: My layout / projects

Postby whynot » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:49 pm

What an improvement!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:18 pm

Thank you :) i am very happy with the outcome

i have started work on my new layout having gathered all of the track (for the outside rings) and the wood to build the baseboards

the baseboards are built in 4 sections so that when I move i can dismantle it easily (well easier then larger sections :lol: )

currently i have the track laid out ontop (not secured)

still trying to decide between more points on the inside or a turntable and need to give some thought to the scenery etc

video of it in action

next up is to decide on the points/turntable and then think about securing the track

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:53 pm

well past time for an update!

removed the inner ring of 1st radius track as i was having some issues with locos coming off, put down grass mats and some buildings as well as platforms with lighting on. Its defiantly taking shape :D

Started a Pintrest board to keep track of the changes over time (photos and video) http://pinterest.com/alex3410/my-model-railway/

thought it would be nice to look back at the stages of development

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:02 pm

ok i will totally admit it i had forgotten about this thread :roll: but will try and be better about posting updates

as a catch up i figured i would post my layouts track plan as it is currently - giving me chance to tidy up before i take images :lol:

full size version with track names here Link

only note is i have a Hornby turntable but was not available in the software so substituted it

changes i am thinking about are in the centre - the points on the far side are not perfectly level and cause no end of headaches so i am thinking about taking them up as well as the sidings on the other side and rearrange them - mainly to keep everything in reach

Dad-1

Re: Alex3410 - My Railway

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:24 pm

Planning should always try to get things within reach ......
IF not and allowing for their being wriggle space underneath have an access hole cut.
The cut out can then be turned into a sit-on removable scenic section ??

But get those points reliable first !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:10 am

Thank you for the feedback - latest development is I am 1/2 way through taking it all to bits! Taking advantage of the 15% off I have a bunch more wood so am going to totally rework my baseboards to 1) make it perfectly level 2) keep everything within reach and 3) longer running distances

Watch this space updates to come :)

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:22 pm

Had a play with track plan - very early stages and will probably start from scratch once the baseboards are in place and measured but welcome any input :D

trying to keep points at the top where possible to minimise the number of point motors required

the little box area near top left is the entrance to the loft so will need to be lift out sections - i have never done one before so was trying to keep it to just two but might extend the sidings to connect up for more flexibility

the area at the bottom is clear mainly because thats the area where my desk for painting etc is so i am thinking about creating a box / tunnel for the track to protect it and use the area for storage and programming track

thoughts and comments more then welcome :D

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:59 pm

Just a quick update:

Old baseboards are now in bits ready to be put back together - progress being hindered by the heat in the loft :( as well as not being able to move much after a day spent helping the other half get her classroom ready for the new year - lots of heavey lifting and moving things while she bossed us around :lol:

Also at the point where I am kicking myself for starting as I just want to play trains :evil: but just hope the improvements are worth it :D

I have been reworking my track plan but think it will be best to get boards in place first - will post my latest track plan soon

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:02 am

my latest attempt:

View larger sizes

there are a few points of track that need joining up with flex track and i am dangerously close to the edge on the baseboard in some locations :lol:

i think it works out as 5 'loops' but this was not my goal which was to get as much storage tracks as possible and the additional loops just sort of work themselves in

slightly worried i have crammed to much track into my space but apart from longer running trains the other main reason for the upgrade was more storage space

it will all fall to bits when i have the baseboards up and find there is a loft beam at the wrong angle to use the outside areas of some baseboards :lol:

jon_1066

Postby jon_1066 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:57 am

Please take this in a friendly way but that is way too much track. You have nothing but track seemingly and I can guarantee you will not be happy with this should it ever get built as is.

Try to rationalise your points somewhat. eg the sidings in the north side on the inner loop. These are too short for anything useful. You have a number of these ultra short sidings that can only fit a single wagon and buffer stop.

Try going back to basics and put a station on the left and storage sidings on the right. Join them up with a twin track main line. You could then add a small MPD on the bottom side and a goods yard on the top or simply leave room for non railway scenery.

You could have a couple of terminus platforms in the station and set the station throat up to be able to operate it as a terminus to fiddle yard type of layout as well.

e.g.

Simplified.jpg
Simplified.jpg (43.77 KiB) Viewed 7420 times

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:42 pm

jon_1066 wrote:Please take this in a friendly way but that is way too much track. You have nothing but track seemingly and I can guarantee you will not be happy with this should it ever get built as is.

Try to rationalise your points somewhat. eg the sidings in the north side on the inner loop. These are too short for anything useful. You have a number of these ultra short sidings that can only fit a single wagon and buffer stop.

Try going back to basics and put a station on the left and storage sidings on the right. Join them up with a twin track main line. You could then add a small MPD on the bottom side and a goods yard on the top or simply leave room for non railway scenery.

You could have a couple of terminus platforms in the station and set the station throat up to be able to operate it as a terminus to fiddle yard type of layout as well.

e.g.

Concur with this, I think you really need to think out what you are trying to achieve with your project and develop the plan accordingly. Personally I would look to prototype locations and base your layout around the track plan of somewhere close to home, alternatively seek out the C.J. Freezer Peco track plans books and have a read through them. They were my inspiration before I got back into modelling, they are not by any means perfect, but some of the plans are superb.

EDIT - this looks a good buy at £1.99..http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peco-Track-Plans/dp/B002QVDL84

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:02 pm

If i am honest i knew i was stuffing to much track in i just spotted a space and i was off :lol:

the area at the top with the small sidings was going to be for loco storage but looking at it again your right they are to short to be of use

I like what you have done with your plan with the terminus station i might rework it so that it ends at the 'lift out section' so that this section is hidden from view and have it act as an end to end when the section is not in place.

At any rate back to the drawing board - I have ordered a few track plan books and will give it a bit more planning to get some more realistic junctions

Thank you for the input guys i really appreciate it :D

edit:
would i have enough space to take the track onto a second level going from level at the top right to a terminus station above the bottom of the layout?

TK421

Postby TK421 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:21 pm

Have you ordered any of the c.j Freezer plan books? They give some great ideas I was stuck for an idea for ages untill I picked them up, even the n gauge one is usful for ideas.

For the graident and because you have steam engines i suggest a minimum of 1/50 so that's a 1 cm rise evry 50cm meters. To raise the track above another loco you'll need a 7cm clearance so you'll need a run of 3.5m or about 11 and half feet. However if you need to get your arm underneath the board (to rescuae those derailed locos) your looking at a squeeze 10cm or a more genorus 15cm this of course depends of the width of the top board and yor final design. You could have access holes in the lower board allowing you to keep the height at 7cm or if it's a small width board you could just squeeze your hand through the side. For the 15cm climb your looking at 7.5m or about 24 and half feet. Remember if you intentend to use curves you may want to make the graident slightly more gentle. Best thing to do thos is set up a test run to make sure your trains can handle the climb with the maximum load you want them to haul.
Last edited by TK421 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:33 pm

i got peco set track one and the latest hornby one - ordered before the edit I was to keen :lol:

i have an n gauge one somewhere in the loft will have to dig it out as it should be useful for ideas like you say

i have now put up 2/8 baseboards :D but its clear that the outside edge will be to close to the roof which slopes up to have track on the outside so what ever my plan ends up like it will probably need to be updated when i actually lay the track

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”