Bath Queen Square - something stirring again !

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
clivef5915

Re: Bath Queen Square - my version

Postby clivef5915 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:48 pm

Just for the sheer hell of it I decided to place my complete loco stock on the layout. There are 53 of them at the moment but I shall be thinning that number down to a more usable 30 - 35. Whilst I've had about 20 or so on the layout for some time, I thought it was about time to get the rest unboxed which is where the others have been for the last 4 years.There's a real mix of manufacturers including Wrenn, Bachmann, Hornby, Mainline and an odd Airfix and Lima. My excuse for getting them all out is, ' it is an extremely quiet Sunday morning at Bath because all the drivers are on strike'.
Only a couple have had a problem running straight out of the box, one of which was a Bachmann and I've put the details in the Bachmann topics. Now I've got to decide which to keep!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by clivef5915 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40184/Bath Queen Square - as never was !

TK421

Postby TK421 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:44 pm

The collection of locos in the shed are not as green as I am with envy, impressive stuff as ever.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:55 pm

I finished wiring up my points today and was feeling all smug till I found this thread. Your wire in tube method is a work of art sir :) I could look at that for the same amount of time as the top side. Your certainly not short of a bit of motive power either :shock: Fantastic layout, I tip my virtual hat to you!

Mike

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:32 am

clivef5915 wrote:Image

An impressive selection of locos, and a first - a 'Scotch Arthur' at (a) Bath shed :D .

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:42 pm

Your trackworks in and around the yard is a thing of beauty....just lovely to look at well done....stunning layout.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:24 am

stunning layout its looking fantastic

cant wait to see more :D

engineer dave

Postby engineer dave » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:21 pm

Hi

Just caught up on this whole thread. Amazing layout. The tube work for the points is stunning in itself! Really love the Green Park Station. Very realistic. Was it really known as Queen Square, or is that part of your 'back story'?

Echo the comments about not including the river. A couple of bridges might look nice.

Keep it coming

Dave

PS Nice shed!
My N Gauge Quarry Layout - Trecarreg viewtopic.php?t=14555

Money Talks.....It mostly says "Goodbye!"

clivef5915

Postby clivef5915 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi engineer dave,
Thanks for the kind words. Originally opened in 1870 it was named Queen Square station and was operated by the Midland Railway, and then, at the grouping, it passed to the London, Midland and Scottish Railway. For almost all of its life it was usually referred to as Bath Queen Square station, after the prestigious square about a quarter of a mile away. It became Bath Green Park under British Railways in 1954. Purely coincidental that in the same year the River Avon disappeared !
I believe, unfortunately, that the Western region had a hand in its demise by rerouting traffic thereby reducing the effectiveness of the line to the south coast. I'll post some more photos as and when things get done.

regards
clive f

clivef5915

Postby clivef5915 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Have been slaving away over a hot needle file creating 'keeper' sections for the point control levers. I thought it would be a good idea. Why do good ideas always take five times longer to do than you think they will. Anyway, some 6 hours later all 42 levers are done.

Also added a bit of ivy to the loco cleaning shed. It has to go up onto the roof in a few places yet but only after I've fitted some rainwater guttering and downpipes.

The station has officially been named and name boards erected along the platforms so that passengers actually know where they are now!

The wasteland between the engine shed back wall and the allotment fence has also been completed.

Image Image

And just a couple more photos.

Image Image

Have now got to revamp the 'point indicator panel' (fancy name for a bit of paper on the wall) to show what happens to each point when the control lever is either pushed or pulled.
Last edited by clivef5915 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:26 pm

Very impressive indeed - and the platform canopies in particular really catch the eye!

The point control lever sections are equally impressive - but may I ask what are 'keeper sections' ?

Excuse my ignorance :oops:

brit-in-bama

Postby brit-in-bama » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:11 pm

what are 'keeper sections' ?
they are the notches in the brass plates where the point lever locates at the end of its travel, so it cant move back the other way on its own, old machines particularly lathe gearboxes used this method to lock it in gear so you couldnt knock it to another gear by accident.

clivef5915

Postby clivef5915 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:02 pm

And here is the 'point indicator panel' which as promised is 3 sheets of paper pinned to the wall. Having a memory which is slightly worse than a rotary clothes line I needed something to indicate what the point blades were doing when the control lever was pushed forward or pulled back. Sooooooooo, the diagram shows each box and in it, the point number and which way the blade would face. The number is positioned at what would be the 'toe' end of the point.

Image Image
So there you have it up to date. Next projects are a) pinching the idea for the concertina corridor connections for the coaches and fitting them. b) making a set of Ratio LMS signals and getting them working, and I really must get on with c) sorting out the backscenes.
Last edited by clivef5915 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

deeslexia

Postby deeslexia » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:34 pm

In a word, AWESOME !

clivef5915

Postby clivef5915 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:01 am

I was struggling to find a suitable backscene image that would go along the top of the arches and then, at the station end, drop down to platform level. I tried a mix of Georgian houses, country views, town scapes but nothing seemed to look right or blend together. I was hoping to have a row of Georgian houses along the top of the arches and then another row at platform level. Looked odd due to the split levels. So, engaging whats left of the old brain I extended the arches to the rear of the station and now I can have a row of houses right along the top all at the same level. Simplesss.
A couple of photos to show what it now looks like but before the houses have been added.

Image Image

There are couple of photos of what it looked like before if you wish to scroll back through the thread. So, now on with the backscene which as said, will be a representation of the Georgian houses which are in fact alongside Bath Green Park station. Took the opportunity of photographing the terrace when passing through Bath some time back.

If I'm not back here before, then do have the Christmas you desire and I'll see you in the New Year. Cheers to all.
Last edited by clivef5915 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beejay7

Postby Beejay7 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Very nice indeed. Parked under the canopy today to do a little shopping ....

Alan

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”