Second Board...

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
hornbyandbf3fan

Re: Second Board...

Postby hornbyandbf3fan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:59 pm

whynot wrote:And....what locos etc should it have? Can't make up my mind between c.1948 so can run big four ilveries and v early BR or later, including green diesels. If a couple of diesels, what wouldn't look silly in such a "rural" setting? I'd like to use my weathered Crab just passing through also!

Ideas, please!

Green diesels would look good, especially DMUs and smaller ones such as class 20s. BR would be easier as there's a larger a,punt of stock available in RTR. But it's up to you in the end :D
15 and a railway fan, something very rare now
My youtubehttp://www.youtube.com/user/hornbyandbf3fan?feature=mhee

buz

Postby buz » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:06 am

Hi whynot
March 2013 Model Rail has an interesting article call Trains to put on your shortlist.
Which gives a lot of steam era short trains including pictures of the real ones and which manufactures of loco and coaches that would make up the trains.
Including some combinations we probably would not have thought of such as a BR 14XX and a Thompson non gangwayed brake second.
So my thoughts are steam era.
As there are some interesting and easily put together short trains that could used in a rural setting.
and its possible you may already have some of what's needed for some of the illustrated trains.
The article states that most of the trains were replaced with DMUs.
However I have seen a picture of an 04 or was it 03 shunter with a MK1 composite and MK1 brake second
which ran in a rural setting as a regular train service.
Which I have based one of my trains on using Bachmann crimson mk1's and green 03 or is it 04.
Given your small layout and its limited stock capacity it is very tempting to say the Answer is D All of the above :D
Because it would not take much to cover all options allowing a variety of eras to be covered.
Making it possible to change the layout completely just by changing which trains you run that day.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

whynot

Postby whynot » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:38 am

Thanks both - some interesting thoughts there, John!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:38 am

In a scenic mood... well, ground cover anyway!

I need fences!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

whynot

Postby whynot » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:44 pm

Back from a short hols and seem to be quite enthusiastic now got the Airfix 4F working! Fences and walls and some more track infilling....

dave j
Works End 0 16.5

whynot

Postby whynot » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:48 pm

Having looked at some of my very first attempts from a couple of years ago, then immodestly I THINK I am improving! A bit.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:44 pm

I would suggest you've moved forward quite a lot !!
Where someone has limited space they have to become interested in the scenic side
as there is little satisfaction in running a couple of feet in either direction. So yes
you've moved forward and I hope enjoying the 'modelling' aspect !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

whynot

Postby whynot » Wed May 01, 2013 12:31 pm

Thanks, Geoff! Still "moving" towards the goods shed end....

I'm thinking how to complete up to and around the goods shed - I want to raise the "ground" level with the track, but need to sit the shed somewhat lower or height above rails will be all wrong!

Once I've done that area, probably quite a long break while I consider what to do with both boards. I can either sell one or both or find somewhere to store them as I am finally determined to have a go at 0:16.5!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

whynot

Postby whynot » Wed May 08, 2013 4:51 pm

Finally decided to conclude original "plan" and rejoin the two boards. So, this a.m. cleared the indoor one (Caric!) and carried it out to join the second. 60" x 18" is just about limit to move flat and single handed without damage to it, the house or me!

But easily re-dressed!

All still works, but need to connect with the other board (12" "bridge" made) and modify wiring a little. Total time just over an hour, so I think justifies my original concept of modest sized boards - each capable of independent operation.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

manna

Postby manna » Thu May 09, 2013 11:06 pm

G'Day Gents

Turning into a quality layout, but I still think you need an LNER G5 and two coaches, to give yourself another off scene destination.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Thu May 09, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi Dave,
That last shot looks brilliant. Glad to see you bit the bullet and gave ballasting a go.
Rob

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue May 14, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks, chaps! Sorry for delayed response - forced change of email address (the strange another dot com outfit seems finally to have gone bust) required account reactivation!

I am really quite pleased with the combining of the two "boards" and shall put some time into finishing the basics.

Also moving slowly ahead with an 0 16.5 "creation" - more to follow!

dave.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue May 14, 2013 10:04 am

Hi Dave - that is a nice littel terminus you have built there, however if I can offer some constructive criticism you need to reposition your signals to make it more prototypical. The starter semaphore signal needs to be nearer to (or on) the platform with another controlling traffic from the other platform, although if this is a dock not used for passenger traffic a ground disc would be sufficient. The distand needs to go completely, there would never be a distant that close to the station, its proper place would be on the approach track well away from the station and turned to face incoming traffic, a bracket home signal would protect the station.

See diagram, hope this helps

signals.JPG
signals.JPG (7.19 KiB) Viewed 1033 times

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue May 14, 2013 12:04 pm

Thanks for the info. Not sure that prototypical is much of a concern to me - after all the station is grossly undersized and the stock is a bit of mixed bag! The other end of the line has no signals as yet, so if I come across any CHEAP ones I'll try and position them more realistically.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon May 27, 2013 4:31 pm

Tidying up behind the goods shed on "board 2" and across to the end of the line. Also station "forecourt". Just one small corner to go for the basics.

Little bits at a time to ease my worried brow as I try to perfect (!) a track plan for the narow gauge!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”