Second Board...

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
whynot

Re: Second Board...

Postby whynot » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Sticking bits of card together during the miserable recent weather.....our street (well, a third of it) reduced to 1:76 and transplanted....

Meanwhile behind the double fronted house at the end of the street (in reality it is flush with the other four though technically detached), starting to prop up the "roof" at the end where most of the weight is taken by, well, the glass!

And yes the green corner piece behind the prop doesn't actually reach the retaining wall and is only as strong as the paint!

Expecting to hear the cracking of glass at any time...
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

manna

Postby manna » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:06 am

G'Day Gents

Excellent row of house's, very similar to the one's I grew up in, but we had tiny front gardens, about six feet !

Can't you cut another piece of wood into the green bit of wood, the prop should hold it up while you dig out all the rotten wood.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks, manna! The houses now front the pavement and a narrow road - which ends at ours. Up until the early '50s they had c. 12' gardens and then just a track. The terraces are pre-1880 (I think possibly 1850s and must be some of the oldest urban houses in residential use so close to a city centre. Ours is c.1901.

The upper joist ends before the glass, so can only be propped about 12" further towards the corner than where it is in photo. Once I've cut out the shelf, that is where it will be!

dave
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:43 am

Hi Dave, I once lived in a house that was like your conservatory all over, and had to repair posts at every corner (you'd be surprised how many corners a small house can have :D ). I'd suggest using an inch or inch and a half wood boring bit in either a hand brace or a power drill at its lowest possible speed, to make a starting hole in good wood then a pad saw (the type with a narrow blade sticking out of a wooden handle) to cut from the hole to each side. A power saw may cause too much vibration for your glass. I'm guessing that the glass is a similar age to the wood and will have become more brittle over the years. Don't try any fancy carpentry joints just put on a rectangular "mending plate" either side, or cut a capping piece from half inch thick timber to cover the post from top to bottom, which will usefully increase the size of the whole post. Best of luck with it, it's often an excursion into the unknown when you start trying to fix old woodwork.
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:20 am

All sound advice John, thank you. It certainly doesn't need to be "fancy" - and plated joints a good idea. The glass will certainly call for gentle treatment - 5'x2' sheets, old and thin. No scope for my usual big 'ammer approach to deconstruction!

Good job my best O level was woodwork - of little use in my History degree or working life, but of immense value in the real world!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

buz

Postby buz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi whynot
I don't envy you that job you are going to need loads of patience with that.
Thats just so you don't break any glass.
That will certainly keep you out of mischief for quite a while.
Is there a suitably treated wood you can get for that job,
and something to treat the good bit of the old wood with to try and keep the problem from re occurring.

Some official obviously has a strange idea of a detached house although I suppose it is possible
that way back when it genuinely was detached.
So which door is the mini whynot supposed to come out of the big house at the end??.
thanks for Loco information.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi John!

Yes, much patience ...or ......smash out the most affected pane and replace with greenhouse polycarb sheeting, which would make renewing the "frame" a lot easier! That part won't effect the amount of light reaching the house windows. It's very much a working not living-in structure, so treated wood not a problem.The whole thing runs the width of the house - 21' x 5' plus 9' x 12' narrowing to 5'. Ramshackle springs to mind!

Ours was never "detached" visually, being constructed at the end of the then existing terrace, with a 1/4" gap! The front door is in the middle of the house - I think whoever built it had their 5 y.o. draw a house! There is a passage to the left in the photos that leads to the rear (into the conservatory!) and to the left of that a garage dug into the hillside.

All long before planning regulations!

Regards, dave j
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

jamest

Postby jamest » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi,

I'm afraid DIY advice is not my area.

But I do like the terrace housing - they look really effective. But with card you do have to make sure the weather can't get in!

Cheers,
James

whynot

Postby whynot » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:26 am

Thank you James. Yes, card and "ouside" can go badly wrong! They are covered inside and out with matt varnish, but in any case will one day be replaced with plastic structures. A sort of mock up really to see if they look right - and I think they do!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

whynot

Postby whynot » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:09 pm

The weather hasn't been too good for full-size building work - hands so cold that unable to differentiate between the saw, the wood and the fingers....

One large sheet of glass lost - saw snagged on a nail in the framing being removed, so replaced with polycarb sheet - much cheaper! Managed to retain 3 other panes that needed large sections of framing removing. Corner where meets solid roofed bit (though it isn't, solid, that is!) into rear of garage worst job - would have had to replace with glass if smashed because it allows light into the kitchen. Next job to rip off rotten chipboard "roof" at garage end - just too cold right now!

Two weeks behind schedule which was to move both 5' existing boards outside by Easter!

THEN I can get back to the small scale stuff!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

MOHAAPlayer

Postby MOHAAPlayer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:53 am

The pics do not work for me!

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:57 am

Whoops! The "upgraded" photobucket has defeated me.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:27 am

Little else to do in this weather, so try again...

dave j
Works End 0 16.5

manna

Postby manna » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:58 am

G'Day Gents

Well, I suppose you could model a snow scene, snowploughs etc :twisted: Sorry, 36c over here today :oops:

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:31 am

We've got off pretty lightly here in Nottingham, manna, but it's still kept me without my daily cycling for 5 days - the cold is OK and even soft snow but once it gets packed down into sheet ice then I concede defeat. I don't bounce like I used to - over 60 and falling off HURTS!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”