Reusable, modular layout base in N-gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
whynot

Re: Reusable, modular layout base in N-gauge

Postby whynot » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:19 pm

I tend to share your view of "blue" trains, but in such a setting actually look really rather good! But then just about anything would be improved by your terrain. Lovely.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:44 pm

Only just found this thread - a very innovative concept for modular layout. The only trouble is, as others have said, I would have thought you'd hate to dismantle all that hard work :o . Waiting to hear the next chapter in this layout's history . . .

DAVE ASQUITH

Postby DAVE ASQUITH » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:17 am

Absolutely brilliant. Especially the scenery and the photography is not too shabby either.

Dave

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:18 pm

I think everything will be a lot clearer when colour arrives to this wonderful white world, your poor camera is not to blame.
I'm enjoyinhg seeing this develop. (no camera pun intended)
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:13 pm

hiffano wrote:I think everything will be a lot clearer when colour arrives to this wonderful white world)
pardon :?: The white bits are chalk cliffs - they are meant to be like that 8) at least, that's what it looks like to me...

outcastjack

Postby outcastjack » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:40 pm

I love the landscaping on this, the construction technique really is very clever
I think I shall have to steal your idea and do something similar.
Above all its a Rover.

http://www.pendonmuseum.com
or visit my layout.
or my other models.

alan_r

Postby alan_r » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 am

Many thanks for the positive comments. I'm particularly pleased people like some of the ideas enough to try them for themselves. Post a link and let me see how the techniques work on your creations :)

As for exhibiting this layout ... I think it might be a bit boring for viewers unless I set up a fully automated fiddle yard to constantly change the trains in the viewing area. I think exhibition layouts need to be designed for exhibiting from the outset to give a worthwhile experience to the audience. If I ever get the time to build a few more of these and get the confidence and breadth of skills to do it properly then maybe I'll give it a go, but I suspect this scene is not one of those, unless I reuse some of the sections and incorporate them into something bigger/more complex.

Thanks for the concern about dismantling the layout! Don't forget of course that it is modular and designed to be easily lifted out of the support frame (not just the fiddle yard covers).
To prove the point, this evening I put all of the parts out on my bed, so you can see how easily they lift up...
layout_parts a.JPG
layout_parts a.JPG (96.58 KiB) Viewed 1241 times

Being 50mm polystyrene sheets (plus the scenery on top) they are remarkably stiff and I've retained the factory edges where possible for the edges that rub against each other so they seem to be quite durable. I don't think they are going to be falling apart anytime soon, which is a relief.

As for the comment regarding the lack of colour ... this confused me too! ... hiffano, are you aware of pages two and three of this thread? :roll:
Anyway, thanks for all of the compliments. Maybe I'll get around to another scene. A station and a more urban/industrial style needs some practice I think. Ah, one day :wink:
Alan
Last edited by alan_r on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alan_r

Postby alan_r » Sun May 17, 2015 12:23 am

I had a spare couple of days, so I thought I'd see what might fit into the space for a possible future layout version#2.
As suggested, some sweeping bends, plus a station might be nice, with both through lines and terminal lines, perhaps with a postal depot as well. Seems to be possible to get a lot in the area - hooray for n-gauge! :D

Station1.jpg
Layout #2 perhaps?
Station1.jpg (273.98 KiB) Viewed 1799 times

I have absolutely no idea when I might get time to ever start building anything, but it is nice to get the trains and track out of their boxes and dream for a few hours :)

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun May 17, 2015 9:26 am

I like the sweeping curves and the sense of space. Is version #2 a replacement for #1 (and, if so, what happened to it?) or an extension of #1?

alan_r

Postby alan_r » Sun May 17, 2015 6:11 pm

Version#1 is safely wrapped in plastic in storage. I'm not sure what it's fate will be. I may add a further signal to the other (tunnel) end, use it as a basis of another/extended base, or perhaps sell it to fund a new build. However, it will be a quick and easy background to set back up if I want to watch some trains go by in the near future, before finding time to start a version#2.
Any thoughts on a value? Layouts don't seem to attract very high prices on ebay, even the very highest standard ones. Maybe it is a transportation/collection issue that affects the demand? Seems a shame for builders to scavenge all their great layouts for bits before throwing away, rather than letting someone else [without the time/ability?] enjoy them in their original glory. :(

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun May 17, 2015 7:25 pm

Glad to hear the version #1 is alive and well! But you are right, it is a dilemma what to do with a layout once you turn to the next one :? - usually the space (and often the cash!) are needed for the next venture, but it is, as you say, heart-wrenching to scrap a layout. Sale is one option (like a pet you want to think it has gone to a good home!) - I seem to remember that someone in this thread said they'd be interested . . .

alan_r

Postby alan_r » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:16 pm

It's been a while but I have a bit of time to spend on the layout again, so I've decided to have a go at building a station. The idea of the layout is that it is modular and can 'quickly' and easily be adapted, so I've removed the left side to try a few things out. Rather than have a large new section, it will be a narrow piece with the station only (just 140mm wide) then points leading to extra sections either side which can be easily be made allowing me to try more ideas.
P2 01.JPG
P2 01.JPG (486.17 KiB) Viewed 1239 times

P2 02.JPG
P2 02.JPG (427.53 KiB) Viewed 1239 times

The station platforms will be strips of 32mm x 12mm door stop wood at just £1.09 for 2.1m, which if it works will be an absolute bargain!
The straight through lines will pass by like the previous route, with a terminus type siding in front long enough to take a 4-coach class158
P2 03.JPG
P2 03.JPG (303.72 KiB) Viewed 1239 times

It is all a bit of a squeeze but it looks like it will all fit in, with the points just passing around the edge of the existing scenic section. The river will have to emerge from a pipe tunnel as I'm not going to buy a tin of varnish for such a short length of river.
P2 04.JPG
P2 04.JPG (507.02 KiB) Viewed 1239 times

This leaves plenty of space either side for some different siding scenes. It will also give me a chance to try some methods of connecting the track to the additional sections.
P2 05.JPG
P2 05.JPG (503.59 KiB) Viewed 1239 times

alan_r

Postby alan_r » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:23 pm

The track joins the other board via the fishplates of the track as before. I've cut some setrack to give a good solid end that grips the joiner and track, blending the cut end into the rest of the track. Hopefully this will prove to be durable enough - it is certainly simple.
This will then connect to the sidings
P2 06.JPG
P2 06.JPG (475.38 KiB) Viewed 1238 times

The other end of the setrack joins to the right hand board, fitting between the points and the existing track at the join.
P2 07.JPG
P2 07.JPG (478.02 KiB) Viewed 1238 times

Here we can see a view along the track towards the station, with siding sections that will fit in the spaces on either side
P2 08.JPG
P2 08.JPG (424.25 KiB) Viewed 1238 times

alan_r

Postby alan_r » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:35 pm

Made some more progress today, cutting another length of setrack to finish the other siding link interface. The idea is to have the board joins zigzagging about so there is no long join line that the eye can obviously see. I tested a class158 approaching the side platform and shaved off the platform where the overhang fouls as it comes around the curve of the points.
P2 09.JPG
P2 09.JPG (480.57 KiB) Viewed 1225 times

P2 10.JPG
P2 10.JPG (488.22 KiB) Viewed 1225 times

The rear siding has some cut down blocks glued into the expanded polystyrene that I hope will give a good alignment
P2 11.JPG
P2 11.JPG (374.47 KiB) Viewed 1225 times

The front also has the setrack cut to length allowing it to come right up to the edge. Any new sidings board can fit underneath and around to give a good grip (I hope)
P2 12.JPG
P2 12.JPG (364.22 KiB) Viewed 1225 times

The cardboard underneath gives a better surface to fit the track to and allows careful marking out to get the angles right. The platform leading edges will be smaller wood blocks angled down and glued into a pocket cut into the polystyrene.
P2 13.JPG
P2 13.JPG (473.11 KiB) Viewed 1225 times

alan_r

Postby alan_r » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:48 pm

The pockets are now cut into the polystyrene to allow the platform leading edges to ramp down. This has the advantage of leaving nice crisp edges to the top and doesn't need difficult cutting of a shallow angle to the bottom of the blocks. I've also cut some card to form a 'concrete' retaining wall above the piped stream that emerges into the next board. A wooden seedling marker (like a lolly stick) forms the capstone.
P2 14.JPG
P2 14.JPG (411.51 KiB) Viewed 1224 times

P2 15.JPG
P2 15.JPG (460.38 KiB) Viewed 1224 times

To give a definitive edge between future adjoining boards, I've glued matchsticks along the sides as kerbing and some wooden drink stirrers as a base for a concrete path from the station to an electrical cabinet for the points (gives a reason for the path). These should all help to hide the inevitable board joins when new ones are alongside.
P2 16.JPG
P2 16.JPG (472.69 KiB) Viewed 1224 times

P2 17.JPG
P2 17.JPG (428.57 KiB) Viewed 1224 times

P2 18.JPG
P2 18.JPG (342.22 KiB) Viewed 1224 times

Just need to wait for the glue to set, then I can seal the whole thing in paint to protect the polystyrene and tocover the white in case any ballast/scatter should not fully cover the base.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”