New N Gauge Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Jimmy77

Re: New N Gauge Layout

Postby Jimmy77 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi PNP,

Likewise about not being a purist! My method is have a rough idea of what I want to do then make it up as I go along!

The steel plates give the whole structure a lot of strength, but they do not add much weight at all. They are quite cheap too, varying between 8p and 18p each depending on the type (they generally come in packs of 10)

Cheers,

Jimmy
My N gauge layout in the workshop
Layout

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:59 pm

Short update, managed to wire up one side of the lighting circuit, a bit of a fiddly job made worse by the seemingly constant tangling up of the wires as I was trying to thread them through. Making the cut outs for the terminal connections was also more difficult than the main power bus as the wire is smaller, and using a scalpel in temperatures not much above freezing led to a couple of close shaves with fingers!

Stripping the wire

Wired up

Got as far as halfway and thought sod it that'll do for today...

...because of this...

Think I might need to invest in some kind of heater.

Cheers,

Jimmy
Layout

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:26 pm

JImmy

BRRRR!!!!

Not good for nimble fingers!

Looking good though - this will put us all to shame once up and running :)

Petetr
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:01 pm

There's neat and methodical....and then there's your wiring! Something else. Makes me feel even more inadequate than usual! I really shall try harder with my relatively and absolutely tiny amount.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:18 pm

Oh trust me I'm bound to mess up along the way somewhere with the wiring! I've seen the efforts of others on here when it comes to control panel wiring and it send shivers down my spine to think I have to do something similar.

Some things I feel confident with, others not so, and some things I havent even tried yet so gawd knows how that will turn out! My main objective though is to have some fun building it, and even more fun operating it! :D
Layout

David68

Postby David68 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:29 pm

Jimmy77 wrote: My main objective though is to have some fun building it, and even more fun operating it! :D

Could not agree more Jimmy

Dave

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:48 pm

Small update for today, had my delivery of bits and pieces which allowed me to finish off the main lighting circuit, and then I tidied up the power strip for the yet to be in existance electrics bay. Going through some boxes I also found my old LU scenic thing which I made about 3 years ago (some of you may have already seen it from way back).

I don't know about anyone else but I seem to get through a load of drill bits, so got enough to last me the build!

Shortening the mains cable and built a little attachment contraption thing for the power strip

Finished lighting circuit and looking a little tidier now

My London Underground steam vent scenic thing, not sure if I will use it or not, its meant to just sit below the baseboard to give it some depth

This was the inspiration for it:
http://www.urban75.org/blog/the-fake-ho ... london-w2/

Hopefully soon can start posting some proper railway related updates rather than my organised pile of wood! :D

Cheers,

Jimmy
Layout

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:01 pm

That slice of underground track is fantastic :)
The baseboard construction looks rock solid, a solid foundation is half the battle. I'd be tempted to place a Dapol London transport pannier on that cameo :) How did you secure rails three and four?

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:11 pm

I'd be tempted to place a Dapol London transport pannier on that cameo :)

hmmm... what a good idea! Thats given me something to think about...

From what I can remember I think i just glued the additional rails in place, they are a bit chunky though, so maybe if I re-did it I would use plastic strip instead.

The baseboard is pretty rock solid except for one thing, which is that it can lift too easily at the side ends (with my head when I'm working underneath and not paying attention!) but I'll fix that with a couple of anchor brackets drilled into the floor.
Layout

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:24 pm

Your "London Underground steam vent scenic thing" looks very interesting - it'd be great to incorporate into your layout somehow.
Also, fascinating to read about the Leinster Gardens house facades - in particular seeing the aerial view . . .

P.S. beware of running problems with Dapol pannier tank - I had three in a row - all sent back and gave up in the end :(

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:38 am

I too like the underground section - are you planning on modelling some fake houses to go in front of it?

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:41 pm

I hadn't planned to, but actually it would be good to try to model the fake houses. Would also like to have a go at something like Paddington tube station, part exposed part hidden.

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/ ... 8f297f.jpg
Layout

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”