New N Gauge Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DAVE1562

Re: New N Gauge Layout - Provisional Trackplan Added

Postby DAVE1562 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:44 pm

Hi jimmy77..nice trackplan and plenty of room for scenery ..if i could make a suggestion why dont you slightly curve (flexitrack) some of the long straight runs..it would give it more character with long 6+coach combinations through the scenic areas :wink:

Tank

Postby Tank » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:15 am

Excellent track plan. You've actually just helped me to improve the track plan idea in my head for my layout. :lol: I have three boards as well, and was going to make a bridge to connect two of them, but I like the idea of just looping two of the boards and having a yard on the third. Thanks! :D
N Gauge Ministry of Defence Depot:- Click Here
Old layout - New SouthEaston (now sold!) - Click Here
http://www.NGaugeForum.co.uk

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:34 am

Cheers chaps :)

I was toying with the idea of connecting the two ends to make a full circuit, but then I thought nah just stick to the original plan with a nice terminus station at one end. Dave, you make a good point, I am planning to have curves as much as possible. What you can't see in the track plan are two pillars which support the walls on each side which will mean the track will have to curve around them. Where there are straights it will be broken up with cuttings, bridges etc.. Once xmas and new year is out the way I will be starting properly :)

Cheers,

Jimmy
My N gauge layout in the workshop
Layout

DAVE1562

Postby DAVE1562 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi jimmy77...keeping your main terminus is a good idea, it will give you more of a challenge and make it more interesting to change locos for outbound trains, my layout is a u shape with a main terminus at one end and a country station with a passing loop at other so i have to swap around to other end or disconnect at main station and supply new engine at departure :D

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:27 pm

Evening all,

Just a small update for now, since xmas haven't been out in the workshop too much due to the cold. Have extended the shorter arm of the two so they now match up, plus I've added width extensions to a) give more space on the loop around, and b) to enable me to hopefully build two terminus stations on the other, a larger 8 track mainline station, the other a smaller 4 track station for suburban services. Its basically the old Broad Street / Liverpool Street configuration:

Image comes from the excellent Disused Stations website, definately worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

The new baseboard subframe:

As you can see this will be a long slow build! The only track running I'm doing at the moment is watching stuff on my test track, including the latest addition to the fleet:

I've also started to experiment with using Palight for the sub-construction of the main stations and bridges. I've never used it before, but heard it was good for cutting and carving and is quite strong. Will be using this stuff to build curved girders for the bridges and station roofs.

Quick attempt at making a short curved girder... think i need some more practise, and a sharper blade!

Fortunately I've got a bit more left to help improve my skills!

Hopefully the next update will be a bit more interesting.

Cheers,

Jimmy
Layout

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:03 pm

Thought for a second you'd cracked on and done Winter scenery already mate! :D
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!
My OO work in progress: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36766

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:52 am

Looks interesting. I be keeping an eye on it to get ideas and see how it comes together. Really need to start my thread.
SIMON
IN PROGRESS
"Daunton" oo gauge end to end Branchline, using DMU's and EMU's in different eras and regions. But general theme would be Kent area with some stations with the SR era colour. Be Starting Board 1 this week I at a time.

Jimmy77

Re: New N Gauge Layout

Postby Jimmy77 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:26 am

Morning all,

Just a small update, have started on the electrics. Before the baseboard tops go on I thought I would install the electrical circuits. The track power bus is now in place, using earth terminal blocks to connect to the track droppers. They have been placed all around the baseboard structure giving me potentially up to 96 paired connections. Oh, and there is a new addition to the fleet :)

Terminal blocks

Installing the blocks, clips and cable ties

Wiring up

Overall picture

Connector blocks for the DCC power supply

Next up will be the lighting circuits. I will probably do the wiring for the points after the baseboard tops are in place (and i've sorted out my trackplan!)

Cheers,

Jimmy
Layout

ASFC

Postby ASFC » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Looks like that is coming along nicely, with well built and tidy baseboards.

Like the HST!

Mat. :)
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:05 pm

Very neat 8)

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:15 pm

Cheers chaps :)

Fortunately in the pics you can't see where I messed up and had to rectify with some strip connections. I unsheathed one of the wires in the wrong place so had to cut and reconnect with another length. Other than that though the wires run in continuous lengths and just unsheathed to connect to the appropriate earth block, so I hope that gives me a strong signal all the way around.

The HST is the Dapol eastern version, runs very well so far on the test track, a lovely model. I don't think I'll run full length trains, but perhaps up to 6 coaches plus driving/trailing cabs.

Cheers,

Jimmy
Layout

DAVE1562

Postby DAVE1562 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:56 am

Hi Jimmy77....very nice job , keep at it.... one of my pet hates is scruffy wiring :wink:

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:01 am

DAVE1562 wrote:Hi Jimmy77....very nice job , keep at it.... one of my pet hates is scruffy wiring :wink:

I wont put up a photo of mine then! I wish I could do it like this. Such an amazing amount of space

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:54 pm

absolute brilliant carpentry skills i can see its going to be top quality all the way to finish .

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:43 am

mjb1961 wrote:absolute brilliant carpentry skills i can see its going to be top quality all the way to finish .

Thanks very much :) Trying to get more done on the layout but at the moment I'm having to concentrate on building work in the house. Saying that though, I just took delivery of 15 sheets of plywood for the baseboard tops, hoping to get that done in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Jimmy
Layout

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”