New N Gauge Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Jimmy77

New N Gauge Layout

Postby Jimmy77 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:33 pm

Afternoon all,

Haven't been doing much model railway-ing in the past 9 months due to a house move. Thats all out the way now, so I can finally get started on my layout. One of the good points about the new place is the workshop out back, gives me a nice amount of space to hopefully achieve a nice run.

As before with my previous planned layout (that never really got off the ground due various reasons) the theme will be late 80's early 90's with an urban London feel. It will be a U-shape layout, with one side being a terminus station. I don't have a confirmed track plan yet, but its coming together in my head. It will be approx 9.5ft across the back, and 9ft down the sides, which in N gauge should give me a fair amount of operational interest.

I haven't yet started construction, so maybe shouldn't be posting in this in here, but I thought if I start a thread now it will encourage me to get moving on it! Anyways, here are some pics of where the layout will live:

Layout will be down the back

Location of the planned layout

Locos and rolling stock in storage ready to start rolling!

Hopefully soon I will be back on with a proper update with some baseboard construction and a trackplan perhaps!

Cheers,

Jimmy
Last edited by Jimmy77 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
My N gauge layout in the workshop
Layout

glenng

Re: New N Gauge Layout - About to Begin

Postby glenng » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:19 pm

Looking forward to see this progress with loads of photos please. :D :D

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Hello all,

Not a great deal of progress yet, have been trying to draft-proof the workshop as its a little bit nippy in there at the moment. I've put some foam over the airbricks at the back and built some fine mesh screens to stop all the little critters from climbing through and covering the future layout in cobwebs! I've also got round to doing some electrics, but of the 240V variety. Had to get all these jobs done first though before I can start on the baseboard structure. The old sockets were a little knackered so thought i would replace them with something a little more sturdy. I know this update is more like Homes Under the Hammer but the next one will have some proper train related stuff for sure! :)

This is the warmest its shown in a while!

Spider-proofing

From this

Via this

To this

Cheers,

Jimmy
Layout

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:25 pm

That's a wonderful, light, space you have - and in N gauge you can work wonders with so much room :)

Plus I'm always interested in layouts with an 'urban London feel' so I look forward to your track plan and other details :)

DAVE1562

Postby DAVE1562 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:02 am

Hi jimmy77....im jealous of your space....forget the end bit use all of it!!!!..now that would be a challenge :D

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:08 am

Nice to see some proper workman like electrics, conduit and metal boxes :) .
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:59 pm

Will post up a tentative track plan shortly, although its bound to change a few times along the way!

It is tempting to use the whole thing for a huge layout (I worked out that in N gauge it would be 3.3 scale miles to do a loop around the whole workshop) but I need the rest of it for my other stuff, but hey who knows how it will go! :)

Those metal boxes were a bargain, I think less than 4 quid a unit, from Screwfix I recall. Plus they look the business. I've still got another 5 to replace, slowly working my way around the walls. Hopefully by the time its all repainted and rewired it will have a nice industrial feel to the place.

Hoping that this time next week I'll have the baseboard structure completed. I'm not planning to move it, so weight won't be too much of a problem. Will be going for screws, glue, and some metal bracing. OTT maybe, but its good fun to build :)

Cheers,

Jimmy
Layout

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:24 pm

Small update, managed to get work started on the baseboard structure. Still a lot more to do though. Planning to have quite an open structure to enable easier wiring, and have the scenic areas in modules that can slot into position. Want to have 3 different levels, bottom one being sub-surface scenery to give a sense of depth, and a ground and upper track network. Hoping to have a trackplan this week so you can try to make sense of what I mean!

Cheers,

Jimmy
Layout

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Great to see you've made a start and got some materials to get the wheels in motion!

Carpentry looks good to!! Well done!! Love the space you had so looking forward to seeing the track plan!

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Cheers Matt,

Yeah I'm happy I've got things rolling now. Not back to work until a week on Friday so should give me some time in the workshop (although I've also got to do some proper house diy in that time too).

Made some progress today, getting close to finishing off the top end of the baseboard structure. Took a couple of pics with some rolling stock to give a relative idea of sizes.

The layout will be BR Blue / Sectorisation era. No name yet, but working on that, and a track plan.

Cheers,

Jimmy
Layout

DAVE1562

Re: New N Gauge Layout - Under Construction

Postby DAVE1562 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi jimmy77.....nice bit of woodworking there boss,although im not a diesel fanatic (gwr branchline..exe valley) will follow your build as it progresses :D....it looks like a good un.

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Cheers Dave,

There are a few slightly dodgy joints and cuts (I could maybe blame the less than straight walls?! :) ) but i'm quite happy with how its going so far.

Small update for today, managed to finish off the back and one side of the baseboard structure, tomorrow will hopefully get the other side done, which will be roughly twice the length of the other side.

Cheers,

Jimmy
Layout

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Interesting formations in the frame construction there - is that to accommodate your "...open structure to enable easier wiring, and have the scenic areas in modules that can slot into position ... " ?

I'll look forward to the trackplan so I can make better sense of how it's all going to fit together. I always find the beginning phases of layout construction quite exciting :)

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:21 pm

The formations in the frame construction is due to triangles being generally stronger than square shapes so it would give overall more strength. Its a bit over-engineered, but i quite like woodworking and i enjoyed making it. There will be another thinner frame construction on top, and that will carry the wiring around... well thats the plan anyway, these things tend to evolve as I go along! Will get a track plan drawn up and posted soon.

Cheers,

Jimmy
Layout

DAVE1562

Postby DAVE1562 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi jimmy77...note to self..book a weeks holiday in exmouth to build daves new layout boards :D ,doing a fine job. will you be raising track on a subframe? just remember about underboard point motors...positions, etc so they dont clash with the frames,would be a shame hacking away good work.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”