Terrys new layout.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
teflontony

Terrys new layout.

Postby teflontony » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:22 pm

After having numerous problems with Hornby points and a mix of old 'n' new rolling stock derailing almost inevitably, I purchased from the forum a few weeks ago a lot of Peco Points.
Monday I decided to start work, and ripped out everything that had points.
I then laid out the existing track and the new points to join up with the two ends.

This is another view of the same mess (in case you cannot believe the state....)

There appeared a thread about platforms so I thought I would jump forward to that. Many months ago I posted about various materials for building Scalescenes and other models. One of the materials I mentioned was some twin-wall plastic sheeting, acquired from my local supermarket. It was the advertising boards that are about with Easter, Mothers Day and other offers. They are, after the event, scrap, and a few words with the manager produced a useful supply of builders material.
The makeup of the plastic is visible in the next picture.

This afternoon I added a little more in the way of another platform.

Anyway, That's all for now folks. (that would make a good ending for a cartoon ....)
Terry
Don't grow up.....IT'S A TRAP ! !

StevieDay

Re: Terrys new layout.

Postby StevieDay » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:26 am

Welcome to the boards Terry,

I'm not a OO person, but have heard on many occasions from other that hornby points are cr*p

Your layout is looking good & will keep an eye out on its progress.
Dont worry about the mess, mine if not most ours have tools etc on them. The trick is just to remove them when you take photos :D :D :D
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

teflontony

Postby teflontony » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:59 pm

Well it has been a couple of months since I posted this original thread, so a little update is probably a tad overdue.
An overview shows some changes.
The Metcalf brewery is still in its original location, as is the small branch line to it. The line has bee modified at the platform end however, hence the small 'kink' at this end

teflontony

Postby teflontony » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:36 pm

I have a couple more pictures to post, but due to the site throwing some sort of wobbly, and keep telling me the limit is 800 pixels.
This on a picture I have reduced down now to 500 wide, yet it still complains.

teflontony

Postby teflontony » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:55 pm

The above shows the station area, sans station buildings... They are still in the form of A4 sheets waiting to be printed.
The township will need a complete 'makeover', but then there was a lot of changes made.
The area past the station was once a single branch down to a coal merchant.
The recent activities have 'put him out of business' for a while, as the following shows there are now several sidings, and the old coach siding at the left looks like it has been 'Beeching'ed' before Beeching was about.

The main work over the past months has been building a new shed. 'Tis not as big as the 'Railway' shed, only 8'x12', but it is custom built to be a workshop for my wife and her quilts and me and my benchwork. One wall is almost all glass, so the light level inside is magic.
I have almost completed a 4 function DIY decoder. If it works they will work out at about £5 each, and as I already had a PIC programer for another project some time ago even that cost has been absorbed.
I want to fit lights to all of the passenger stock, I have some nice Surface Mounted Leds, just the job to stick into the roofs.
The Auto coach and the Railcar are already done, but these both use the main decoder as a power source. The Pullman will have its own decoder (assuming the decoder will work), and I aim to couple them all with a power pickup from each to avoid any flicker.
So much to do, so little time...
There follows, I hope, a picture of the proposed sidings/carriage store.
At the the present rate of course, the next update will be NEXT YEAR.....

teflontony

Postby teflontony » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:57 pm

Still getting it's knickers in a twist with my picture, which it claims is too big.

teflontony

Postby teflontony » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:19 pm

Here we have a picture showing the 'new' shed, the shed in the background is the 'Railway' shed.
Now here should be the picture I refered to. As last time I posted however, it just tells me that the picture can only be 800 pixels wide. Now unless maths have changed since I was a school, (Well over 55 years ago) 790 is less than 800, and that is what Photobucket tells me I have changed the size to.
The large glass panels were old patio doors, scrounged from a local double glazing company free of charge, as the man said, "We have to pay to get the skip removed and emptied", the panel in the centre was from the same source.
The total cost of the build was about 140£ constructed of 2"x2" frame with 1/2" OSB. The whole lot was painted to keep the elements out, the only exception of course, the Kettle Element.....
I WILL POST A BL**DY PICTURE>>>>>>>

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:32 pm

Hello,

I know what you mean about trying to upload, I used to have the same problems, getting the picture down to a smaller size only to get an error message, very frustrating! Now what I do, before I upload to photobucket is to open the image in MS paint, go to resize, click pixels, then change the width to 800, which on the version I have also changes the height to 600 to maintain the aspect ratio. Then upload to photobucket, you won't need to mess around with resizing on there, and it uploads first time onto the forum boards without any errors.

Cheers,

Jimmy
My N gauge layout in the workshop
Layout

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi I soon worked out that I needed to do the same as Jimmy says. I think what Photobucket does is to serve up a reduced size image when it is asked to stream it. The File it is storing is still the original size and that's what phpBB looks at. Finding the stored file size would seem to be the first thing it does when following the link, as if the filename isn't right it says something like "Unable to determine the image size at filename" (Mutters under breath about crap software and the *******s that write the error messages).
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:32 pm

Love the beginning of this layout, regards the photo size I like to use Irfanview, it's freeware & makes life so easy, then once the correct size upload into photobucket..

Cheers Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

teflontony

Postby teflontony » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:52 pm

Let's hope this works, I did a new download from the camera into 'Pictures' then 'Paint' and resized to 790, then saved as newshed. Then uploaded to PBucket.
Here goes.......

By George he's got it... :o

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:28 pm

At first glance I thought it was a converted brake van!

teflontony

Postby teflontony » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:36 pm

Back to the railway...
This shows the corner closest to the door.
This area is just visible in picture #4 in the original post. The tunnel hopefully serves (Will serve?) to hide the corner. It does mean however that there is, at the moment, nowhere to go at the other end, witness two sorry looking bits of track...
I fancy a lift-up section with a bridge of some sort. I REALLY fancy an American style trestle, but the bottom whould go nowhere, so I recon it will be a 'Suspension' type arrangement. Who knows, GWR, might finish up like the connection between England and Cornwall. (I can say that, I lived there for many years....)

The other corner has a tunnel also, which goes under the church, and emerges on a viaduct.

The other end of the viaduct sweeps round and STOPS, just before it collides with where the kettle and teacups used to be (See note re new shed).
This means that there is in effect one whole side and one end to build....
It also means that unless something untoward happens there will be possibly lots more for you to put up with.
I cannot show a track plan, rather like Topsy it grew and grew. (See http://cjewords.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/ ... topsy.html )
Incidentally, I trust that no-one takes umbrage at my lack of literary skill in my posts..... :lol:
I blame the fact that I came from a broken home, World War II tended to break a lot of homes. (JOKE)

teflontony

Postby teflontony » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Ex-Pat
I did not notice 'til you spoke, must look into a pseudo curved roof (and G W in the two panels.....)

teflontony

Postby teflontony » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:36 pm

Doing some research into the Tamar Royal Albert Bridge it would seem that I will have to apply some 'Artistic Licence', in that it is, and I had not realised, Single Track.
For a 'roundy roundy' to run unattended for a while I shall need double track.
Another point I found, seems the tubular main arches are not in fact round. They are of a basic oval nature, measuring some 9' by 16'.
Shall probably build it up rather like a balsa wood aircraft, oval formers on a long curved 'keel' to form the arch shape and wooden longerons skinned with card.
Looks like an interesting project for the dark winter nights.
There will no doubt be pictures if it goes full term.....

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”