Bedroom town - home made points! D=

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Michaelaface

Bedroom town - home made points! D=

Postby Michaelaface » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi everyone

I've been thinking about this for a while and I've decided to go ahead with it, I've created a small layout idea so that it can fit in my bedroom
my current layout, "loftfordshire," is located in my loft but I can never get up there due to the fact I work annoying hours, however this lack of modeling is really bothering me so I've decided to build something I can access whenever really

So here is my plan, its 2.5 meters by 0.5 meters and is in OO finescale

please please please give me any thoughts you have on this plan or point out anything I've done wrong or where things could be improved or just any ideas in general you may have!

thank you
Last edited by Michaelaface on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

mika

Re: Bedroom town

Postby mika » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:32 pm

Very nice idea.
I also like the trackplan. That will be interesting to operate. Is your fiddle yard long enough to store a whole train?
Any ideas concerning the setting? Urban, rural?
Please, keep us posted.
All the best,
Michael
My layout 'Sudbury-on-Sea'

My German layout 'Zinnroda (Thür.)'

mrmodelmayhem

Postby mrmodelmayhem » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:12 pm

The plan looks great to me, and with the return in front of the fiddle yard I always thinks makes the best use of 'modelling' space. Just one thought, the large 'red box' at the front left hand side, is that a goods facility of some form? If so, it may restrict the view of the station?
Have a look at my blog - mr-model-mayhem.blogspot.com

whynot

Postby whynot » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:42 pm

Scenic/fiddle length balance always a compromise, but I'd sacrifice the buffer-end platform and have the "station" in low relief in favour of an extra few inches off-stage, especially with just one line.

Other than that, as good as one can get in that space (much the same elements, a run-round, two sidings off one head shunt etc as my Minimal 00!!).

Like it!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Hello Michaelaface,

Glad you've found a way to get back into things. Here are a few (rough) thoughts from me ...

I reckon if you can reshape the plan into a sort of 'S' bend it will give you a few more running inches (or cm), and could look a little more interesting too (?)

In the plan above I've also tapered the lower platform to ease your approach curves.

Another option would be to curve the whole plan like the bottom of a 'U' - again, it may give you a fraction more running line / extra fiddle yard (?)

Not in the trackplan (because I just thought about it since I did it) - but how about a three-way point at the fiddle yard exit? That may be a 'space-saver' - giving you a little bit more of a run / longer fiddle yard too.

I've also changed the road bridge - (I'm guessing it's a road bridge disguising entrance to fiddle yard in your plan?) - to a curved one to give more space in the fiddle yard. There's no reason that the points to the station can't be under the bridge ... as long as you make the bridge removable for access.

I don't know about you - but in my mind's-eye the road bridge curves down to the yard / carriage sidings front-right ... (maybe private-owner sidings? A cotton mill perhaps?)

So that's my contribution - hope it helps :)

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:20 pm

mika wrote:Very nice idea.
I also like the trackplan. That will be interesting to operate. Is your fiddle yard long enough to store a whole train?
Any ideas concerning the setting? Urban, rural?
Please, keep us posted.
All the best,
Michael

hadn't decided yet on that one yet, probably a combo of rural and urban D=
and as for train length I'd only really had in mind a small loco, probably a tank and 2 small coaches or a couple of wagons, which would just fit into 70cm!

mrmodelmayhem wrote:The plan looks great to me, and with the return in front of the fiddle yard I always thinks makes the best use of 'modelling' space. Just one thought, the large 'red box' at the front left hand side, is that a goods facility of some form? If so, it may restrict the view of the station?

yeah some form of goods facility that it be, and yeah it would restrict the view, but I thought maybe i could attempt some sort of cutaway scene of the interior, whether or not my modelling skills are up to that though I don't know

whynot wrote:Scenic/fiddle length balance always a compromise, but I'd sacrifice the buffer-end platform and have the "station" in low relief in favour of an extra few inches off-stage, especially with just one line.

Other than that, as good as one can get in that space (much the same elements, a run-round, two sidings off one head shunt etc as my Minimal 00!!).

Like it!

confused slightly, so are you suggesting I have a small fiddle yard at each end?

SouthernBoy wrote:Hello Michaelaface,

Glad you've found a way to get back into things. Here are a few (rough) thoughts from me ...

I reckon if you can reshape the plan into a sort of 'S' bend it will give you a few more running inches (or cm), and could look a little more interesting too (?)

In the plan above I've also tapered the lower platform to ease your approach curves.

Another option would be to curve the whole plan like the bottom of a 'U' - again, it may give you a fraction more running line / extra fiddle yard (?)

Not in the trackplan (because I just thought about it since I did it) - but how about a three-way point at the fiddle yard exit? That may be a 'space-saver' - giving you a little bit more of a run / longer fiddle yard too.

I've also changed the road bridge - (I'm guessing it's a road bridge disguising entrance to fiddle yard in your plan?) - to a curved one to give more space in the fiddle yard. There's no reason that the points to the station can't be under the bridge ... as long as you make the bridge removable for access.

I don't know about you - but in my mind's-eye the road bridge curves down to the yard / carriage sidings front-right ... (maybe private-owner sidings? A cotton mill perhaps?)

So that's my contribution - hope it helps :)

brilliant! looks a load better like that, flows more naturally and gets more of the shape I wanted, as for a 3-way, I'm going to be building these points and I don't think I'm up to that standard just yet, now to fit that modified plan into 2.5 x 0.5 meters
also the road works in well with an idea I had of having a set of low relief buildings and a road on an embankment running along side the long platform

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:26 am

Yep I like SouthernBoys modifiction of your plan, it does have a nice natural flow to it. Though I'd have as well as the rd leading down to the yard. I'd have the bridge leading down over & across the rails at an angle approx 30º to right the right of the vertical, with a junction in the rd with the rd leading down to the yard.

This way you've got the layout divided in 3 areas. With each. The eye is lead to the other through the bridge portals, giving a perpective of greater depth than there actually is.

whynot wrote:Scenic/fiddle length balance always a compromise, but I'd sacrifice the buffer-end platform and have the "station" in low relief in favour of an extra few inches off-stage, especially with just one line.

Like it!

What I think WhyNot was meaning. Was that in your original plan, you have a very long platform & a comparibly short fiddle yard.

I'd suggest having the longest part of any part of the visible layout which you'd want to move trains into no longer than the fiddle yard. ie with a shorter platform you can fit additional buildings/features.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Michaelaface wrote:
mika wrote:as for a 3-way, I'm going to be building these points and I don't think I'm up to that standard just yet,

I agree, Southern Boy's adaption of your original plan flows better, but the original basic plan is fine. Beware of 3-ways in running lines - they weren't unknown on the real thing but far more common in sidings and yards.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:49 pm

Southernboy:
" ... how about a three-way point at the fiddle yard exit ... "

Michaelaface:
"I''m going to be building these points and I don't think I'm up to that standard just yet .. "

--------------

You know what? You've excelled yourself before and I can think of no reason why you can't do it again. You've already impressed with what you've achieved so far.

Why not have a go at a trial version to see how you get on? You can notch-it-up as all part of the learning curve - and at the end of the day there's no prize to completing your layout sooner rather than later. At least that's my philosophy :)

Either way, look forward to future updates.

whynot

Postby whynot » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:30 pm

"confused slightly, so are you suggesting I have a small fiddle yard at each end? "

No, as StevieDay surmises, I meant move the station tracks as cllose to the end of the board as possible, thus gaining an extra few inches at the fiddle end!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:24 am

whynot wrote:"confused slightly, so are you suggesting I have a small fiddle yard at each end? "

No, as StevieDay surmises, I meant move the station tracks as cllose to the end of the board as possible, thus gaining an extra few inches at the fiddle end!

ahh yeah I get you, and yeah that could be an option!

AND thanks to the wonders of templot, I have recreated my plan almost exactly to Southern Boy's adaption

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:22 am

I reckon that that should look and work very well!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:10 pm

I like :)

Just a thought, but could the line in the bay platform be as long as the other two tracks into the passenger platforms alongside it? It may allow you to squeeze in that previous extra van or wagon? Or maybe that's not prototypical - I don't know (??)

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:30 am

slight adjustment to my plan, moved the turnout under the bridge a bit further back to increase the space in the runaround loop

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:39 am

Another option, depending on your carpentry skills, is to make the whole of the visible section double track and have either a cassette or sector plate doubling as the far end of the loop. The sector plate can be as simple as a single track on a bit of 6mm ply, it doesnt have to be complicated.

Is the 2.5m absolute or can you poke a bit out through the bedroom door onto the landing (or whatever) when you want to operate ?
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”