The 9x6 upgrade has begun......

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
james2k

Re: The 9x6 upgrade has begun......

Postby james2k » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:58 pm

I would put the point motors to the straight side as long trains will/could derail when it goes around the bend. Some will clear it no problem but its a pain when it doesn't lol

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:24 pm

james2k wrote:I would put the point motors to the straight side as long trains will/could derail when it goes around the bend. Some will clear it no problem but its a pain when it doesn't lol

Hi James2k, never thought of that... Experience? just checked with my big loco's and some coaches and waggons, luckly only one just caught slighly, so moved it out a mm and it now clears. I would never of know this if you hadn't said so thank you!! On the Point that is nearest the edge of the layout I wouldn't of been able to move it as there isn't enough room to fit it. But luckly I have managed to sort it now. Well spotted though James.....

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:19 pm

I've had a bit of a rethink and added an extra track to the station line. By removing a curved point(marked) to the outside main line and repositioning it to the entrance I can add the extra line in the station....

I will be remaking the station platforms longer and straighter!!

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi all, been having a go at making a retaining wall and a custom Tripple line Tunnel Portal. I used 4mm ply as backing and used Metcalfe Embossed stone card as the front. For the retaining wall Bracing i scored the card to be able to bend the card then cut a slight diagonal to make the bracing lean back, then glued. I used some cork the same width as the bracing to help with stiffening and gluing. To top the wall off I used Metcalfe Paving Slabs. The Portal is exactly made up of the same......

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:55 pm

Looks good, only thing I would add would be to colour the edges with a marker of a suitable colour.
All Aboooooard !!

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:08 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:Looks good, only thing I would add would be to colour the edges with a marker of a suitable colour.

Hi, yes I noticed them when I was building them, I'm going to be adding some weathering to them so will touch them all up when I do that....

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:05 am

Well its been a while since my last post and I have not been able to do much. I have aquired a couple or so new loco's....
First is my Bachmann 108 DMU... I'm going to be fitting sound to it...

Second is my Bachmann Class 37 with sound...

Thirdly is a Bachmann Class A4 4903 'PEREGRINE' LNER Blue, this needs to be digitised and lights added...

I have decided I have got to extend one end of the layout as I havent enough space for my tunnel portal and retaining wall. If I move my 2 main lines out 4" I can then add the retaining wall and tunnel portal.

I am also going to be cutting the board into 4 pieces for ease of moving. This will be for exibiting etc. By cutting these shapes I will be able to hide the joints better by using the lines of the bushes and roads...
I will be using various struts and spring loaded draw laches to hold it together.

I have bought a new Airbrush kit to have a go at weathering etc...
Here is my first attempt at weathering the track..
I just used some acrylic paint from a small set I had, brown and black to try it out. I think it looks fairly ok!!

I've also had a bash at building my own Static Grass Applicator, made from an electronic HV Fly Swatter with a metal tea strainer and a plastic tub. Took me approx 15-20min to make....

I was hoping to get more done but my wifes health and home life prevent me...

MOHAAPlayer

Postby MOHAAPlayer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:12 am

What happened to the photo on the first page that was about your nail???

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:20 am

MOHAAPlayer wrote:What happened to the photo on the first page that was about your nail???

Lol.... Photobucket took it off!! Said it was against its policy!!

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:10 pm

Got back into doing some more this week... I've extended the left side by 4inch to allow me to move the 2 main lines away from the inclined branch line which was too close to allow me to make a hill. Now I've moved the track there is loads of room. I've also had a re-think on an idea which was proposed to me by a member on another forum... I have changed the way the station lines rejoin the main tracks. The red main line now passes over the branch line and the blue main to return to the main and I have done away with the curved point. The blue line also now passes over the branch line to rejoin. Ive added a cross line for the red main line to cross over the others to get into the goods line. I have altered the goods yard entrance too(Yellow), this allows for a train on the branch line to come into the station....

Waiting on some track now to finish off the alterations

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:47 pm

Been quire busy this week though cant see where I've done anything when things are back together!!
Firstly here is the before pic of the track where I was having problems with the embanckment spacing....
And after a 4" extention to the board to allow me to move the Main Line track away from the elivated Branch Line, this should now let me build my hill side...

I've finished all the cutting of the base board into its 4 parts. This will make it portable to enable me to exhibit it in the future. This is how I chose to do the cuts...

I have used Spring latches for locking the sides together and made alternating overlaping blocks to keep the board level.
So not to cause any misalignment of the boards I have glued a strip of the underlay cork to one of the edges to fill the gap made by the saw blade...

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:17 pm

Well here is the layout now... I've started soldering all the fishplates and adding drop wires for the board edge joints... All the track is now fastened, fixed and underlayed. I have added an extra siding which will be under the hillside for extra storage...

This is the Fiddle yard....

This is the track after the alterations to the Station lines and main line to branch line..

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:39 pm

Well I'm hoping to get back into my layout soon.... It had to be put away for the Christmas hols to make room in the lounge for family. Since then I havent been bothered, with looking after my ill wife and 4 teenage mutant TEENS. But now I'm gonna move it back into the lounge so I can get on with the build again...

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:33 pm

Well finally got around to moving the lounge around and have now got the layout back up. I have finished all the base board cuts and all boards now lock together. All track is wired and all joints soldered too. I have been testing all the track and all seems to be working fine so far.....
More updates to follow...

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:57 pm

It is always easier to work on something when it is easy to get to.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”