Spearestone, Kent coast in N

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
THE CHIEF

Spearestone, Kent coast in N

Postby THE CHIEF » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:23 am

Hello peeps. I thought id start a thread on the current layout im working on. Its based on the kent coast during the 1950's-60's.

overall veiw of the layout

Using the streamlined points gives it a nice flow in the yard. By using a y and a curve I think it looks more organic. I like this shot ><

Anyway... Got the soldering iron out today to have a go at the WW 2HAL. I was working on the face using various gauges of wire. This is the second unit after the first was destroyed. Im particually pleased with the cable around the blind.

There is a hair across the window but this gives you an idear of just how thin some of the cables are. So... game on mark ;)
Last edited by THE CHIEF on Fri May 17, 2013 2:02 am, edited 8 times in total.

THE CHIEF

Re: Kent coast in N

Postby THE CHIEF » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:25 am

Welcome to the kent coast! Now I have something thats starting to look like a layout >< All the track is now down which means I can fit the top board. So I have (g) As we all know pictures speak louder than words so here we go...

A Q1 passing with a mixed goods test train made up of the most pickie wagons. No reason for this photo other than I like trains from the south.

Overall veiw of the layout showing its small size.

This side veiw gives a better look at the height of the different leves.

I think im going to go with a small gas works in the middle. The siding will not be conected to anything but will function as the programming track. This will exit through a low tunnel or something. The upper level will be a high street. The wooden blocks indicate where the half buildings will go to the back.
The actual coast, the high street and tunnel add depth to the layout I hope.

This is how much space I have along the main road. There will be a turn round point for the buses at the right hand end with a small bus stop. I also want a couple of those coin opperated binoculars that look out to sea...

Last a bit of randomness. Was cutting back a bush in the garden today so I saved a couple of straight twiggs. Cut and strap them together with a bit of cotton and you have an instant log load :D who knows where there going... perhaps to make n gauge furniture?

Btw, is there a spell check on here? Might make my posts a bit more readable lol

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:29 am

Bit of a lazy cut and paste from another forum that lot. But that is where I am for now. The track is code 80 as I needed to use the setrack curves. Any questions please ask :)

mike

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Ok peeps, time for a bit of imput from you... I have two grades of ballast Ive layed dry for now. I cant make up my mind which to use... So its open to a vote :wink:

Number 1

Number 2

They both have there own merits. Number 1 is more corse but I think it sits better with the code 80 rail. Number 2 is finer and looks great with the 04 sitting on it but makes the code 80 rail more obvious. Hmmm... you thoughts?

Rustyrail

Re: Kent coast in N. Have your say...

Postby Rustyrail » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:29 pm

A very nice idea which could look great visually, especially if you can disguise the sharp curves (in some way) on the main line, thus drawing the eye towards the main area of interest around the signal box. I presume you'll add a third rail at some stage?

Cheers
Simon

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:38 pm

Yes indeed there will be a third rail. The kent coast electrification is the theme really with the rtr 4cep being a staple train. The freight will be steam hauled with no station on the layout. Its a trains passing type layout. The tack will be sprayed after its ballasted and third rail layed. Im only ballasting the sidings for that reason. I dont know about the curve. The other end is hidden but im hoping the sea wall will have people looking more at that than the track. Also im hoping wagons as apposed to coaches will stop any dramatic overhang making it more obvious.

mika

Postby mika » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:40 am

Very nice layout!
The different levels make it very interesting and I'm looking forward to the scenery you will be adding.
Regarding the ballast, I'd go for the finer one. As you're saying it makes the code 80 rail more obvious but I guess that'll change when you paint it (as you're planning, right?).

Anyway, keep the updates coming.

Michael
My layout 'Sudbury-on-Sea'

My German layout 'Zinnroda (Thür.)'

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:47 am

I like this, very intriguing with its direction. Looks like another 1930s , so looks like SouthernBoy has some competitiion :D :D :D

I agree with Michael. The finer ballast is more appropiate for the scale. Also it looks like it has a slight weathered look. As he said paint the sleepers too. Oil, grease, rust & dust from the ballast are all incorporated & deposited in varying degrees on the rails & sleepers.

I lookk forward to see how this progresses.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:47 pm

Well... its been a while hasn't it! Welcome back to the kent coast :D After a month or so of working hard ive finally had some time to play trains. I have been thinking of what I can use to fill the void in the middle of the layout. Ive decided to go with a brewery. One of the things id like to do is get my family on the layout in some way or another. The brewery is named after my brother james with the date 1897 being an anagram of his year of birth.

The siding will be filled in to represent hard standing. The buildings are metcalfe for now but after seeing the work of others this just will not do. Im going to copy the buildings in plasticard and detail them a bit more than the card kit. For now though they let me know how things will look.

My sister hollie has the caf'e situated by the bus turn around point. Given the reputation of the best tea in town the caf'e takes a few quid!

The dreaded ballasting has now started :( As we all know this is a long and messy task. This siding is the only dry section I can photo for now. Still needs a bit of patching up.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:47 pm

Ive also started a bit of scenic work, this bit I like :D Being on the south coast chalk cliffs are a must for me! I started with card formers and glued kitchen roll over it. A quick blast with some green spray and when dry some tile grout. I use this as its soft when dry...
The reason for using a soft grout is this... When its dry I cover the cliff in various green flocks and scrape back with a scaple in places that it would not grow. You end up with this...

I have also added a small loco stabling point for steam tanks passing through. The Q1 is parked up having a drink. When I get my hands on the dapol pannier it will spend most of its time here.

Last up I have had another go at the bogie parcel van. I have used two dapol cct vans cut and shut again. This time however I have added corridoors and removed the side vents that should not be there. Ive filled the sides and will repaint after adding the planking with a sharp knife. The southern steam bogies by the NGS will be used on this.
Thats all for now folks, any questions or comments welcome ;)

manna

Re: Kent coast in N.

Postby manna » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:47 pm

G'Day Gents

I like it, don't see many layouts from darkest Kent, the only bit I'm unsure about is, the pannier tank, did they really have them down there !!

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:26 pm

There were a few bought in to replace the old R1 tank locos. They were used for shunting mainly especialy round folkestone. Besides... I like them :D

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:46 pm

Hello peeps. Well ballast is down and hard standing but not much more than that done. For that reason (and for testing ;) ) its time to get some trains out. This week I thought id turn back the clock twenty or so years to the heyday of the southern railway and seaside holidays by train.

The morning goods from the docks

First arivals of the day :)

The goods heads back to the docks with the finest british exports

The pride of the southern railway, the mighty merchant navy! boat trains are now long gone but favorite of mine.

Increased traffic means double headers 8D A pair of m7's take holiday makers along the coast with the last train of the day.

Thats it till I order some bits and bobs.
mike :wink:

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:56 pm

Not many southern fans round here then lol

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Don't know how I've missed this - it's really very good! Three "heights" go a long way towards disguising the small size. Excellent!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”