John Geeee's Garden Shed

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Lofty

Re: John Geeee's Garden Shed

Postby Lofty » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Good to see you again John

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Sun May 11, 2014 10:16 pm

Not been doing much modelling as such but I have now converted to DCC over the last few weeks. I got an Ecos 50200 and have been putting decoders in my stock of locos. All seems to be working well, but needs a bit more in the way of power feeds in the odd place such as some of the sidings as I keep forgetting to set the points before I want to move a loco. I have also done my first DCC sound fitting to a Bachmann LMS 10000. Below are links to a couple of videos to hear the 10000 in action just click on the pictures and it should take you to teh video on photobucket, apologies for the bits were I get in the way :wink: :

Click on picture:

Click on picture:

Cheers
John Geeee
"Go on, just one more board, pleeeeeaaaase?"
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

peak

Postby peak » Tue May 13, 2014 10:08 pm

Always a pleasure to see this layout.
I also pleased to see you've gone DCC.
Sound as well.
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Wed May 14, 2014 7:21 pm

Cheers Peak.
Funny thing is when I started I was mainly interested in steam but now I seem to have more Diesel locos and I don't know how it happenned except I seem to get very attracted to the Green era of late. Going DCC was fun :shock: I was amazed at what you could get away with for cleaning wheels on DC, I had to clean loco wheels just to get the controller to recognise there was a decoder on board. :oops: but Ilove the sound and am saving up for the next sound decoder.
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:36 pm

It has been another 12 months since I last posetd an update. I have mainly been playing with sound decoders and growing my sound fitted loco collection.
I picked up a Bachman stone signal box the other week which was at a sale price in my local model shop. It came in a blue/green colour scheme (Scottish??) so I have repainted it to fit more in with my loose LMS type theme. I am now putting together a Ratio white metal signal box interior kit to install in it.

Here is the source of all my DCC frustrations of late! Don't get me wrong, it's a great controller, probably the best, but trying to program decoders when you do not know what the terminology means is a nightmare.

I have recently got a new SLR that has a video function in it so thought I would try some quick DCC sound demos of my fleet. The first is a Bachmann sound fitted 55022 that I bought from someone on this site. The video shows that in reverse it only has a single slow speed? When moving forwards it moves off straight away before the engine sound has had time to ramp up? Can I figure out how to change this, can I hell! I am not sure why the picture links show up as small but Click and Watch and you should see the full size versions:

The next two are a new bachmann class 55 and a Dapol Western that I have fitted sound chips to. Everything hunky dory and fun.

The last one is my only (and probbaly my last!!) sound fitted steam to a Bachman 5MT. A loco that ran perfectly well under DC, stick a Sound decoder in it and it wants to sit and admire in silence every point it crosses!! I have cleaned and proded and cleaned and proded....... nothing makes it any better. It has an MX646R Zimo decoder in it and it was suggested that a stay alive capacitor could not be fitted to it, but I honestly can't see how it will work without one. Once it is running at pace it can skip over points quite effortlessly, try crawiling around a yard and my index finger gets blisters from pushing!

I also recently bought a Digitrax PR3 decoder programmer to help me with easier programming by connecting it up with DecoderPro software. It lasted all of 30 minutes at which time I innocently connect it to my program track at the same time as my Ecos 50200 was connected to it. I assumed the PR3 would just read the decoder whilst the Ecos would test out the changes. I pay my attention to my laptop and behind my back the PR3 is now smoking and melting away!! Hopefully it is now on its way back to Digitrax for repair under their "I am an idiot" accidental damage warranty.

So the world of DCc is certainly more exciting. Is it simple? There are people who baulk at the thought of wiring up a DC layout, believe me it was a piece of p**s compared to getting a DCC sound loco running how you want it to :D

Cheers
John Geeeeee
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

sishades

Postby sishades » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:00 pm

Welcome back John. glad to see that you are still alive and well...
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:01 pm

A new post from John is always worth celebrating :) Good to have you back again, John 8)

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:34 pm

Thank you Gents, Never really away though, just spend 99% of the time reading rather than writing :D . Busy working life is killing my modelling enthusiasm unfortunately so not much to write about.
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:29 pm

I always loved this layout so thought it was worth a bump for those who may not have seen it and perhaps John will pop in to update us!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”