John Geeee's Garden Shed

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Class 60

Re: John Geeee's Garden Shed

Postby Class 60 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:44 pm

Great to get back into the modelling scene (awaits ill-fated comments) :lol: by reading through a remarkable layout John! Have definately got the bug after reading the last 10 pages! Without wanting to trawl back too much, although it may seem a perfect idea with a cuppa! In regards to the retaining walls on the incline John, what make are they? and are they easy to fit?

Cheers

Adam

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:12 am

Hi Adam,
I got the incline walls from International Models http://www.internationalmodels.net/acatalog/Main_Catalogue_Index_Retaining_Walls_40.html . They are foam based and flexible enough to go around the curve but you have to be careful and place them gently. Don't use plastic cement adhesive on them because they will desolve, Bostic works ok without attacking them.
"Go on, just one more board, pleeeeeaaaase?"
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:12 pm

Hello again,

I have got some building upgrades to do in the next few weeks. Here are some pics of the first one, a new platform for the goods shed to replace the card one. Its made from Ratio platform pieces with some scratch built steps. The usual paint method with cheap art acrylics. Yellow ochre base coat with burnt sienna washes for the stonework. The platform top was a dark grey basecoat and treated with the same sienna washes. Then final washes with a light cream colour but then mostly wiped off with a damp piece of kitchen paper towell. I repeat the cream washes, allowing each one to dry, until I think I have a faded weather look. The platform is bedded down with milliput which can be smoothed over with a wet paintbrush. I need to wait for a day for the milliput to harden and then I can paint it to match the surroundings.

Comments welcome as always, have I got the colours right?
Cheers
John Geeeee
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:02 pm

The colours look fine to me - particularly the track - and it all blends in very pleasingly.

Not having previously seen your layout, I thought at first glance from your latest photos that you were using Flexitrack. In fact I've just whizzed through your whole thread and am amazed to see that you are using set track. It certainly shows what can be done with set track. (And I love the weathering on 31862.)

I assume that is an uncoupling magnet on the line that skirts the crane platform? Have you thought of trying to camouflage it a bit - for example let it be part of a foot crossing (the sleepered type that stations typically had at the end of the platform for wheeling the barrows across). Probably a staggered crossing ( starting near the ramp of the crane platform, and the staggering will enable the other side of the crossing to exit the track where the gap between the track and the arches is starting to widen). Final touch would be to paint the uncoupling magnet along its length to look like sleepers (would paint render the magnet inoperative or not?)- just a thought. Then you can have a path from the crane platform to say a business or store "underneath the arches".

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi John, the colours on your stonework look just right. I've been using art acrylics for some time. Being fairly cheap does allow you to experiment with the blending and mixing, if it turns into a brown gunge you can just wash it away and try again. The only colour I can spot as being a bit out is the edge wall of the platform in the background, looks a touch on the pink side but that might be down to the lighting. My previous layout was in a south facing room and the change in colour between daylight and artificial light was really noticeable. I now have three five foot fluorescent fittings with daylight tubes to illuminate my layout and they seem to have the right effect.
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

gg8tcw

Postby gg8tcw » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:23 pm

Hi,

Just thought i'd place a quick comment on here to say i've had a really enjoyable hour or so reading this thread from page 1. The work you have put in to acheive these super results is incrediable.

It has given me a new boost of motivation to continue with my layout.

Keep up the great work!!!

:)

gg

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:20 pm

Thank you for the comments.
Aye, the obvious magnets are the result of this being my first ever layout and a lack of knowledge. I decided late on to change everything to Kaydees after I discover them and though auto de-coupling would be cool. Trouble was all the track was down by then otherwise I would have used the undertrack versions. For now they have been stuck roughly where I need them but I will think about how to disguise them a bit more in the future.Thanks for the suggestions Ex-pat.

The pinky platforms are a result of cheap printer inks changing colour :cry: They are Scalscenes platforms, the station has also started to go the same way. After doing the goods platform I will probably redo the station platforms the same way in the future. In the meantime I may try and get the airbrush on them and see if I can tint them back again?
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:13 pm

Well It's time to dust off the shed again and get back to some modelling after many months of zero activity. After spending a lot of effort on some Scalescene kits it was disappointing to see all the brickwork turn pink due to cheap printer cartridges :oops: So the main terminus station building and platforms are going to get a bit of a makeover, again! I am now disassembling the station building and I am in the process of cladding it in stone plastic sheet ready for repainting. The roofers will probably be called in again also with fresh roof tiles courtesy of a new Epson printer. So those of you who are new to the site heres a chance for John Geeee's Garden Shed to be brought back to the front page in anticipation of some long awaited updates , for those older members there will be some pictures arriving shortly to bring back foggy memories of a begginers first layout.

Back soon.
John Geeeeee
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

buz

Postby buz » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi john Geeee's
Are you sure this is your first railway :D top effort.
It is a law of natural physics. A model railway will expand to fill all the available space.
I see its had the first couple of expansion phases.
Proving the truth of the law.
The card operating system sounds interesting watch it you will be drawing train diagrams and installing a block system next.
I am told proper operations can be addictive once it is got working properly.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks Buz, yes expansion is always a growing problem :D I still reckon I can fit a fiddle yard or sector plate onto the end of the terminus, maybe for another day.
Hera are some pics of the station makeover so far:

Using part of the scalescenes as templates.

The seperated bits and one part with its new coat.

Two parts nearly finished.

Now its a sunny afternoon in Cheshire and my fingertips are sore with all the cutting so I am off to play golf. See you all later.

Cheers
John Geeeee
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:57 pm

Good to see you back John 8)

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:06 am

Another evening of being re-bitten by the modelling bug. The outside of the station is now re-skinned in stone. I think I need to tidy up some of the window cavities with some filler. The cills and lintels need adding and then the painting can start. Wifey thinks it looks better left in "whitewash", I will prefer the dirty/sooty stone look.

Cheers
John Geeeee
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Very nice work John, good to see you back in action. I think you are right about the colour.

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:01 pm

First coat of paint gone on. A solid stone colour. Once dried overnight it will be drybrushed with burnt sienna and then a milky cream coloured wash to put the morter back in and to tone it all down.

Cheers
John Geeeee
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:02 pm

The brickwork has had a few brown washes until various bricks start to look like they have picked up a few years of dirt, but not too much:

Then its had some creamy white washes that are mostly wiped off whilst wet so that it stays in the morter lines, although I don't try to make it too obvious,and also gives the overall surface a faded weathered look.

Hopefully the series of pictures from start to finish show the transformation. Now I have to finish tiling the roof and fit the gutters and drainpipes.

Cheers
John Geeeeee
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”