John Geeee's Garden Shed

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mumbles

Re: John Geeee's Garden Shed

Postby mumbles » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:49 am

Hi John
More Splendid photos again.

One thing I thought though that you might want to try is how you light the shots for the pics. Not sure what lighting set up you have, I would guess its fluorescent tubes as the light is very bright, uniform and flat in the pictures. I would think the better camera would cope with a less well lit and moody lighting set up and would give the pics an added dimension.

But maybe I shouldn't say that to side track you and you should concentrate on running trains and sorting out the niggles!

I must say that J94 looks ace, I have a similar one.

Cheers
Michael

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:47 pm

Terry B[-/b] Wise words as ever :D Thanks.

[b]Mummbles
The lighting is just from three flourescents in the shed. I hadn't really thought about trying anything else. Eventually when most of the main construction and decoration is finished I will put some lighting on the layout such as street lights and yard lamps etc. No point doing them yet while I am still having to lean over things because I will only smash them to bits. But I can see where you are coming from. Maybe its time to steal a couple of bed table lamps when no ones looking :wink:

Cheers
"Go on, just one more board, pleeeeeaaaase?"
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:41 pm

Could we have another of the overall layout shots? Please, it is stunning, and once more I am still lost for words!

waz

Postby waz » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:49 am

Hi John !!!!

Just want to say thanks for shairing your photos. They are superb.

Just a word of caution. Your'e right to shut the shed door on thoughts of putting a hammer through the layout. I did that to "Lilford Park" and have deep regrets. What I thought I wanted I now realise I didn't and the track is now in the prosess of being torn up again. What will follow will be quite complicated in both structure and design. This means that I will not have a railway running for some considerable time.

Keep up the exellent work.

My Very Best Regards

BILL.

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:30 pm

holmedwa04 wrote:Could we have another of the overall layout shots? Please, it is stunning, and once more I am still lost for words!

Heres the latest overall view as requested, although Its difficult I find to get a representive picture in one shot.

Cheers Bill - I think we all know deep down that perserverance is the key to this hobby. I agree its good to step back and think for a minute, although generally this step is probably taken too late because of inexperience :D

My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:42 pm

Stunning, absolutely stunning, keep up the good work, and resist the temptation to ever take a hammer to it! I have never felt this, however this could be because I haven't got anywhere close to what appears to be the finish. I shall tell you a little story, as long as you promise not to tell... :|

I was staying after school last night, and one of my friends from upper sixth is building a plane that has a camera mounted in the base of the fuselarge, idea being it can be flown over disaster areas etc. where foot access isn't possible. On testing it inside! He noticed that the fin and the slevator were not self centering properly (all servos are different and so they can be programmed into the controller to have a centre posistion). So his friend also making a plane said what model are you on, he said model 1. And he said that is my plane, yours is model two, change it by pressing this button. As h did so, it went to model 6 and for some odd reason, 0 throttle was programmed on model 6 to be full throttle! His plane went flying off the table, into another table and broke into several pieces. After he has finished cursing about why on earth someone had programmed model 6 how they did, he was ready to smash it up, and it has to be in very soon! I feel so sorry for him, but he is slowly being able to fix it.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:57 pm

I've just caught up with your updates and must say your layout is looking really good - very nice work on many levels. You've got a bit of everything (good run of track/town/country/yard/industry/atmosphere/ etc) and yet it doesn't feel at all crammed, it flows quite harmoniously from one setting to another - which is something I believe is quite a skill to achieve. So top marks from me :)

waz

Postby waz » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:23 am

Hi John !!!!

Thanks for the overall shots. It really does look stunning.

Oh what I'd give for that much space and regular shape of area.

My Very Best Regards

BILL.

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:39 pm

what an exelent layout!!! :shock: :D
great use of space with high level track and lower level traels
what a quick build time as well,keep up the good work!!!!,like the tunnels
what is your plans for scenery around the truntable near the goods shed,i can see its been painted but what is it going to be done to complete it? :)

Lewis :)
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

davek

Postby davek » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:35 pm

Top layout and such a lot going on on different levels - fantastic work - thanks for the overall pictures. :)

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:10 pm

Hi John

Bloomin marvelous pix mate :) I like the fact that there are so many things to see but it doesn't suffer from looking too train-setish, which is sometimes the problem when there's a lot going on in a (relatively) small area. I still have to remind myself of how recently your little masterpiece has taken shape!

Now do the same with Real Ale Madrid :roll:

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:25 pm

Lewis Nash wrote:what an exelent layout!!! :shock: :D

what is your plans for scenery around the truntable near the goods shed,i can see its been painted but what is it going to be done to complete it? :)

Lewis :)

Hi Lewis

Theres lots to do around that area. I have to decide on what I want for a retaining wall around the back edge. I am stuck between ratio plastic, Scratchbuild with Slaters sheets, Scalescenes prints, Ten Comandment castings, or the same "foam" wall thats around the incline. It could well be the same foam wall thats around the incline just for consistency. Then I will add a couple of single engine sheds and some yard lamps. I also have some nice material for a couple of coal reserve heaps on the bend area. Then there is the perimeter wall with the entrance to the yard to put together also. I have a overhead hoist for one of the sidings from a Langleys kit.

So so much to do and so little time, I need to retire :lol:

Cheers
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:29 pm

Infrontcat wrote:Hi John

Bloomin marvelous pix mate :) I like the fact that there are so many things to see but it doesn't suffer from looking too train-setish, which is sometimes the problem when there's a lot going on in a (relatively) small area. I still have to remind myself of how recently your little masterpiece has taken shape!

Now do the same with Real Ale Madrid :roll:

Cheers fella

Tim

Hey Tim

Real ale did ok today, I finally found the bribary button :lol: In my stupidity I thought the win bonus was for each player, not to be shared for the whole team! DOH!!

Doesn't everbody go at my pace then?? I thought I was dragging my feet a bit :wink:

Cheers
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

santene

Postby santene » Thu May 01, 2008 9:58 pm

john this is one hell of a layout btw ive noticed its all a few boards no well or access to derailments at back?
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Thu May 01, 2008 10:34 pm

santene wrote:john this is one hell of a layout btw ive noticed its all a few boards no well or access to derailments at back?

Santene- Sorry I don't quite understand the query? The operating is carried out from the hole in the middle. I have access to all the track. If you mean the tunnel area at the back , then the whole top layer of the tunnel lifts off.

Cheers
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”