John Geeee's Garden Shed

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
santene

Postby santene » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:17 pm

nice track plan looks good may i ask why are they no sidings on the turntable lol did you forgot them if you didnt i think u should add them on
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:06 pm

signal box wrote:hope you don't mind John, but i'am new to the forums, your layout is well er whats the word wicked, its bin like reading a gud book could'nt put it down till i got to the end, also i hope you don't mind but i've jogged a few tips down, by the way will there soon be somemore up dates and of course pictures. thanks . :D :D

Hi Signalbox,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the comments.Steal as many ideas as you like, thats why I post the updates so that others may learn from my disasters :D There will be some updates again soon. I am currently building various kits to add more detail to the layout.

Santene - which turntable do you mean? The table in the middle depot is just for turning engines because the other closest sidings are for wagon storage. The bottom turntable linked to the main terminus has four sidings off it already with two approach roads for a run-round :?

Cheers
"Go on, just one more board, pleeeeeaaaase?"
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:56 pm

Well I have been quite busy over the last week or so! I have built and painted a few kits. I had a rethink about the goods area and the new depot/turntable area with regard to the ground cover. I decided to build the level up a little because I did not like the height of the track, therefore I have laid a new surface with a pack of cork floor tiles. The pics will show were i am up to. I am thinking about filling the gap between the outside rails and the cork edge on all the lines in the depot area. Then the ground will need painting and weathering.

First the pictures of the cork laying:

You may also have noticed the head protectors now in place also.

The Coal Merchant has erected his new office. A Crane has been added to the coaling stage. A grounded wagon has been put in also.

Finally various bits of steel items have started to be delivered to the engineering factory.

Oh and I nearly forgot, A Bachman Crab has newly arrived at station number 2:

Cheers for now.

John Geeee
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

peak

Postby peak » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:10 pm

Love the head protectors.
What a great idea!
Did you learn the hard way? :twisted:
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:13 pm

peak wrote:Love the head protectors.
What a great idea!
Did you learn the hard way? :twisted:

Too many times :lol:
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:05 pm

Fantastic photo's and work as always John! 8) I really enjoy reading about your progress!

Great work with the engineering factory!

The crab looks a smashing loco! :shock:
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

live-frog

Postby live-frog » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi John , good to see you're still plugging away !!
Do we now call you John 'two turntables ' Geeeee or will just plain Sir John do ?
To save me rooting through umpteen pages of thread , the one in the background looks like a good old £5 worth of Dapol (having just made one myself) ?
The one on the new cork - is it a Peco? - are you motorising / DCC-ing etc ?
Keep up the good work and mind your head !
Ron

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:09 pm

hi john
i meant to post last night when i saw your shots but was too tired!
the layout is really shaping up, good work.
i love this shot, the backscene really works well. i lesson to us all in how to make the transition from landscape to backscene.
any chance of a shot of this part of the layout
cheers
michael

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:29 pm

mumbles wrote:hi john
i love this shot, the backscene really works well. i lesson to us all in how to make the transition from landscape to backscene.
cheers
michael

Hi Mummbles,

Thanks for the comments. Your wish is my command, but it may be a couple of days before I post them on here.

I like the way the backscene has turned out although I wish I could print it on a full length "A4" roll rather than piece it all together. I still have a bit more work to do on that backscene,. I will probably add some fencing along the station siding and I still have to figure out what to do at the other end where the road leads down to the station. The problem is, as other artists may know, its deciding when to stop!

Also now I have added the extension it leaves me with the question of how to continue it :? I do have my eye on some nice OO stone retaining high walls from here http://www.cast-in-stone.co.uk/html/home.html for the back and side wall by the three turntable sidings. They are about 20 mm too high but I think I can disguise the back of them along the hill with some more hedges.

Cheers
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:34 pm

Nice pictures John Geeeee.

In that piccy referred to by mumbles, are they home-made trees hanging upside down on the wall?

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:16 pm

Derek wrote:In that piccy referred to by mumbles, are they home-made trees hanging upside down on the wall?

Hi Derek

Yes they are Sea moss with scatter on them, the same as in earlier pictures. They have been there for a while now while I decide their final resting place. They look ok but they are very fragile and I have already broke half the other ones on the layout by leaning over them :( They need to be put at the back of the layout where they are less likely to get damaged by the "fat constructor"! :-)

I am currently trying out some wire based ones which will be a lot longer lasting.
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:15 pm

John, they look good; they should be on the layout somewhere! :D

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:16 pm

live-frog wrote:Hi John , good to see you're still plugging away !!
Do we now call you John 'two turntables ' Geeeee or will just plain Sir John do ?
To save me rooting through umpteen pages of thread , the one in the background looks like a good old £5 worth of Dapol (having just made one myself) ?
The one on the new cork - is it a Peco? - are you motorising / DCC-ing etc ?
Keep up the good work and mind your head !
Ron

Hi Ron

Sorry seem to have missed your queastions yesterday, wasn't ignoring you, honest!

Indeed you are correct. The one in the middle is a cheapie Dapol one and I have motorised it. There is a video of it working on here somewhere. I am not entirely happy with it but its the smallest one thats would fit in the space. I need to have another look at the motorising and the power pick ups, but it does work ok.

The other one is a Peco and I have also motorised it and works superbly :D . I have both tuntables working off a single Hornby train controller for the rotation. I have added isolater switches to my control panel so that I can rotate one at a time and the power to the rails on both are also isolated. Maybe I will do a video of the Peco one when I get chance.

Cheers
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:22 pm

mumbles wrote:i love this shot, the backscene really works well. i lesson to us all in how to make the transition from landscape to backscene.
cheers
michael

Hi Mummbles

I have taken some closer views of the area for you. I hope its what you were after. It does start to show up the weaker points though , being so close up :wink:

Cheers
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

live-frog

Postby live-frog » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:04 pm

John Geeeee wrote:
live-frog wrote:
Hi Ron

Indeed you are correct. The one in the middle is a cheapie Dapol one and I have motorised it. There is a video of it working on here somewhere.

Found it John -page 13 , thanks !!
I've just checked back on my posts to see why I might've missed it first time and I'd sloped off trainspotting for the weekend !!
Great work , which motor have you used ? please forgive me if you've also mentioned that !!
Have you used Peco's own motor for that TT ?

Regards
Ron

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”