Layout for my son - Eastfleet

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
chrisalddin

Postby chrisalddin » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:25 am

paulh i think what live-frog is saying is that. this layout is more for you then your son.

i think that what he saying....

but that a dam good name now i need one! hmmmm

paulh

Postby paulh » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:37 am

I think that is what he was saying too!!! :D

Of course, I deny it strenuously!

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:04 am

paulh wrote: I know what the Motorway maintenance guys feel like now when they have to expand a road whilst traffic is still using it!

I'm currently undecided what to do about track underlay. The front half of the double track has been ballasted (badly!) and I am not particularly pleased with it but with a bit more ballast it could probably be rescued. The back half has no underlay (cost-cutting measure as this was previously under the upper section!). Should I continue to put strips of cork tile under the rest of the track, or pull all of the current track and cork up and then just tile the whole board which would help with things like platform and bridge heights.

The first comment made me chuckle, Paul; I can just imagine what it's like trying to make progress with a little 'un 'helping' :)

Second point; my preference would be to take the lot up and cover the baseboard all over with the same material. That way you avoid problems of platform heights etc.

chrisalddin

Postby chrisalddin » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:27 am

paulh wrote:I think that is what he was saying too!!! :D

Of course, I deny it strenuously!

lol i bet you do..... :roll: :wink:
... you most get some fun out of it =)

any how! i have some new locos to test so back soon iss =)

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:20 pm

Well, not as much progress over the weekend as I'd hoped with everything else going on but did manage to pickup a couple of bits from the Southend show.

I picked up a Bachmann Virgin Voyager 3car set with the extra coach from Flair's stand which is top of my son's Christmas list. Talk about difficult to get hold of! Special mention must go to Totally Trains for being generally rubbish with poor customer service to match!

I also managed to get the extra few pieces of flexitrack that I need to sort the revised layout. Talking of the layout, I've made another little change to accomodate the length of a 4 car voyager in the sidings. I'll try and post the modified plan tomorrow.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:34 am

Glad you enjoyed Southend mate. I picked up a nice 1970s WR DMU by Lima for £25 (see the exhibition threads for a pic!) and got loads of cheap switches, wires, kits and spares. Superb!

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:59 am

I'm sooooo jealous....when is anyone ever gonna do a rail show out in Spain???? LOL!
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:39 pm

Nice plan, Paul :^)

just a thought: if you put another crossover near the station just before the tracks go under the town then you can park a train under there while its "on its journey" and still run trains past on the other rail
Regards
Rob

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:15 pm

Finally got some work done on the layout today with my son out of the way!

First I pulled up 75% of the track, then covered the board with Cork Tiles and painted them. This should give me a good base to lay the track, sidings, platforms etc.

Then I relaid the track (a better job this time even if I do say so myself!) with the additional points for the sidings, station terminus and extra crossover.

You can also see my son's latest aquisition with the proceeds of his eBay autions, a Bachmann Class 47 Virgin Thunderbird bought for (the very reasonable) £51 from The Signal Box. I must admit I feel quite lucky living so close to them as everyone else around here were selling for the full retail price of £67.95.

I must give a special mention to Hornby, who in reply to my request for a part number to fix my son's Eurostar, just sent me the required part in the post free of charge. Well done Hornby, customer service is not dead in this country after all!

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:06 pm

I thought it was about time for an update on the layout after the Christmas festivities. As you'd expect at this time of year there have been a lot of new rolling stock arrivals at Eastfleet: -

Bachmann Class 220 Virgin Voyager + NT3 coach
    Hornby South Eastern Class 466 Suburban Networker
    Bachmann Class 168 Chiltern Clubman
    Hornby Eurostar (to replace old Joeuf H0 model)
    Hornby Class 43 HST
    2 x Hornby FGW Mk3 Coaches
All of the new trains run superbly, even the Networker which I was a little concerned about but after running in for an hour it moves well and does not stall anywhere. The HST came from my brother-in-law's loft and needed a little TLC, it currently only runs without the dummy car but I'm hoping replacement traction tyres and a service of the Dummy's bogies will fix that.

There has also been some infrastructure changes (partly enforced to make sure that all of this stock can remain on the board at all times to stop breakages!) including: -

Pikestuff Diesel Maintenance depot and refueling point complete with Yard light tower and 'welder' lighting unit in the shed
    Metcalfe Signal Box
    Seep point motors for the Station points
    Extensive sidings
    New Station with both teminus (1,2 & 3) and through (4 & 5) platforms
Here's some pics of the platform construction I've done over the last weekend: -

Image Image Image Image Image Image

The platforms are from Scalescenes.com and I think they look quite good although there have been a few problems with clearances which are probably more to do with my dodgy card cutting! I may have to get rid of the platform tops in the pictures above as they foul the footsteps on the Class 168. One idea I've had is to fill in the plaform bases that I've already constructed with some kind of filler but I'll start a separate thread in the Scenery forum for that subject.

I've also uploaded a small video of the Networker passing through the station. I was quite surprised when I first saw it as it has not been edited in any way and all the sounds are from the actual trains. No DCC with sound yet either unfortunately!

tinsleytmd

Postby tinsleytmd » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:18 pm

Pete wrote:Paul

the first layout my dad built for me spent most of it's time inhabited by a motley gang of commandoes, constantly under seige from Airfix OO German storm troopers, meanwhile an attempt was made to maintain a combined LNER/GWR goods service :D ).

Pete

now that has just made me wet myself hahahahahahaha

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:25 pm

Excellent stuff mate :wink:

Don't worry about the 'kink in the platform (I realise you did it to help clear the points!) 'cos even today I saw another example of 'higgledy' platforms waiting for a train at the Mecca of Chav, Basildon. The platforms variance in gap is noticable when you look up the length of the platform!

Come along nicely all round. Nice little video too. You're right about the sound. If you like, give these a listen watch 'em too of course!):

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/Infrontcat/?action=view&current=PIC_0239.flv
http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/Infrontcat/?action=view&current=PIC_0242.flv

Good luck mate.

Cheers

TIm
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:52 pm

Infrontcat wrote:Mecca of Chav, Basildon.
TIm

i'm sorry that would be chatham.
in a thousand years there will be a pilgrimage where devotees throw there scrunchies and gold hoop earrings at a giant bus shelter.
sorry for the hijack, great looking layout, especially the station, along the lines of what i wanna do
michael

easternbuzz

Postby easternbuzz » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:17 pm

Basildon invented the menace of modern society!!!!! Anyway, nice layout and nice networker!

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:24 pm

The problems with the platforms that I experienced with the 168 are to do with the height rather than the proximity to the track. They are ok without the tops on so I need to have some way of topping them off that does not raise the height any further than in pic 2.

The kink was always planned to be there to cater for the points as you say. I think it adds character and I'll put some markings on the platforms once finished or maybe even some railings.

I second Chatham as the Mecca for chavs too! :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”