Valentine - Building Progress

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Shunter58

Valentine - Building Progress

Postby Shunter58 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:05 am

Firstly....I'll highlight the original introduction......

May12 2012

The layout is to be in oo scale using DCC power and to be named VALENTINE. This was the name of my parents house that they lived in from construction to the end of their lives ( 56 years in total ). My father built me a Triang/Hornby modular layout around my bedroom when I was about 10 years old and it was from this that my passion was realised. Only parenthood, divorce, work commitments and lack of finance have prevented me from recreating my childhood dreams over the past 44 years since. The plan was to build the new railway with my father but sadly he passed away in 2010 leaving me in his words "funding to build our railway".

I have a mental plan of the layout which will consist of 2x independent twin mainlines each served by its own Main Station but depicting seperate eras. The modern era mainline will host Valentine station and will be stocked with Network Southeast and HS1 units.
The second twin mainline will depict a 1956-66 Southern Region era combining Steam and early Electric units. The mainline station for this era will be called SELSEY, named after the house next to my parents which I still own.

The twin mainlines will be connected by a long branch line that will serve as an exclusive access point for any stock or units that need to be moved from one era to the other. Both of the oval mainlines will be hidden around the back of the newly created stairwell but the branchline will be a visbile oval.

The plan is to provide seperate power supplies to each of the 3 lines and to use DCC sound and computer controlled systems wherever possible. I'm new to scenic modelling but my wife would also like to helpout and will build the branchline station and surrounding farms.

I have already purchased a large amount of stock, track, buildings and scenic materials ( mostly from Ebay) so am eagerly awaiting the completion of the modelling room.

I have an IT background so this side of the plan should be fairly straght forward. However major challenges lie ahead in both Electrical wiring and Scenic modelling both of which I'm learning from various sites and publications. However I have joined this forum to use the knowledge of many of your members to assist me throughout my "journey". I will post updates periodically with photos.

Shunter58

Re: Valentine - Building Progress

Postby Shunter58 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:20 am

update July 6th 2012

Since my original introduction in May, we have agreed a price on the work for converting the loft into the model room. Room size to be approximately 7450mm x 3900mm ( 25x12 approx ) with twin oval tracks that will run around the stairwell in a concealed fitting ( access through hinged door for derails etc, maintenence etc ). A new 5way fuse board is to be deployed to provide "en situ" power.
Construction started on Monday 2nd July and I'm happy to report that the new steels have been inserted ready to support the new floor. Buildout will continue next week to replace the current strussses and open up the new room. Estimated completion is around 1st August.
Following this , the room will be decorated and carpeted in preparation for the baseboard construction. this will be of 9mm ply with a maximum width of 1m with standard 2x1" softwood bracing and 2x2" uprights.
First test track and run scheduled for around 1st September.
Valentine moves a step closer to reality !
I'll add some photos later today if possible.

Shunter58

Postby Shunter58 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:30 pm

Couple of pictures of Loft Progress........
P1000138(2).JPG
Trussed laoft with steels each side
P1000138(2).JPG (69.52 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
Attachments
New Steel in loft(1).jpg
New Steel in loft(1).jpg (230.79 KiB) Viewed 1634 times

daniel8910

Postby daniel8910 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:40 am

Sorry to hear about your dads passing, its nice that you are continuing your dream though. The layout sounds great , can wait to see a trackplan :D and hopefully it turns to be a succesful layout!

patchford

Postby patchford » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi,
This looks exactly the same as my loft. If it helps then take a look at the thread Patchford. Will be watching with great interest. Good Luck
Have a good day.
Patch

Layout Site http://www.patchtown.webs.com/

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:42 pm

I also have a similar loft, in which I was building my Chadwood layout. This is now on hold whilst I moved into the shed to build First Avenue, a smaller exhibition size layout. I am very interested to see how your loft remodelling turns out. I can't tell from the pics how much headroom you will have. I got tired f the constant crouching whenever I was up there.
Good luck with the build.

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

Shunter58

Postby Shunter58 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:18 pm

Dave,

Maximum headroom estimated at around 2meters at the apex. As I will be building around the sides this shouldnt be too much of an issue. Minimum height is estimated at 990mm, so I intend to build my board at a height of 800mm. I'm getting a lot of ideas from other peoples layouts and cant wait to get started. Unfortunately the steel loading has caused a bit of cosmetic damamge to a few ceilings so once the room is ready I'm due some redecorating to keep the wife happy :lol:

Shunter58

Postby Shunter58 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:19 pm

patchford wrote:Hi,
This looks exactly the same as my loft. If it helps then take a look at the thread Patchford. Will be watching with great interest. Good Luck

I did, amazing similaraties....Nice layout !

Shunter58

Postby Shunter58 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:20 pm

daniel8910 wrote:Sorry to hear about your dads passing, its nice that you are continuing your dream though. The layout sounds great , can wait to see a trackplan :D and hopefully it turns to be a succesful layout!

Hi Daniel....I tried to build a trackplan without too much success. I'll try again when I get some time and will of course post here.

Shaun

Shunter58

Postby Shunter58 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:25 pm

Update 29th July 2012

Loft construction nears completion..

Trusees removed.jpg
Trusses removed
Trusees removed.jpg (9.39 KiB) Viewed 1428 times

Windows and Floor down.jpg
Windows in and floor down
Windows and Floor down.jpg (42.38 KiB) Viewed 1428 times

Plasterboarded.jpg
Plasterboarded
Plasterboarded.jpg (38.81 KiB) Viewed 1428 times

Stairs installed.jpg
Stairs Installed
Stairs installed.jpg (44.94 KiB) Viewed 1428 times

Neccessary Steelwork reduced my floor height by 150mm which means that my baseboard height will now be at 720mm ( not ideal but workable ). I plan to have a 200mm clearance around the edge for backscene and access if required. Overall floor space is now 7.5m x 3.6m.

My initial plan to run Twin mainlines has been discarded ( too ambitious ) with a compromise of "bypasses" for a single twin mainline so both ( Station ) era's can be run independently bypassing the other era's station. ( Confusing ??....will try to show later on a track plan ). The "run round" in the stairwell will have capacity for 4 lanes so I can increase by 1 track at a later stage if I require.

Other work completed...
5-way power supply with RCD installed in room to save on energy when "shorts" occur.
Double sockets added in work area ( Cupboard ) , Study desk ( control point ), Selsey ( ERA5 Station ) and Country section ( Branch line Halt & Farm ).

8 White LEDS ready to be installed to provide natural light ( hope its bright enough ).

Next Steps:
Hope to have room plastered and 2nd fixed this week.
Painting to start next week.....Silk emulsion ( Sky powder ) chosen for ceilings and walls.
Carpet ordered.

A "rough" Baseboard plan has been designed in readiness for the build once painting and carpet laid.

Baseboard Plan.jpg
Baseboard Plan
Baseboard Plan.jpg (39.96 KiB) Viewed 1428 times

The space inside the pink boundary is the layout area. I am now looking to include a "drop Level" at the rear ( gable end ) to allow for a river crossing ( more on this in later updates ).

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer for me :

The boxed in section around the stairwell will contain twin lines ( one pair above the other ). I have estimated 200mm height and 150width for the box. Would this seem adequate for a straight boxed in section 1.55m in length ?
Does anybody know the best value cork underlay available for basic soundproofing ?

Hope to provide another update in a couple of weeks........Shaun

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:00 pm

You've created a good space there looking forward to seeing it all come together
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:58 am

thats fantastic, how much space has been created. I looked at converting my loft, but the hefty cost put me off.
udos that man, that should be once grand layout!
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:54 am

After all that building work a layout should be easy !!
That has achieved a nice space for something that was, should we say difficult !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Shunter58

Postby Shunter58 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:18 pm

In preparation for the forthcoming track laying and testing I indulged myself and purchased a YouChoos Flying Scotsman complete with working lamps, firebox glow, seuthe smoke and DCC Sound decoder. A coach pack of 4 Teak Gresleys complete with lights and people completes the build. There is a 3 month commission time so I expect it to be ready by around the end of October. :D

Shunter58

Postby Shunter58 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:39 pm

hiffano wrote:thats fantastic, how much space has been created. I looked at converting my loft, but the hefty cost put me off.
udos that man, that should be once grand layout!

I got about 25foot x 12foot ... Getting close to completion now. Hope to paint next week then get it carpeted. Hopefully ready to start laying board by 3rd week in August.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”