It Now Begins Again

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Pedro32

Re: It Now Begins

Postby Pedro32 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:54 am

Looking forward to watching your layout develop- lots of potential and plenty of storage is always good! :D

Cheers Pete

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:55 pm

Cheers pete, track work and wiring will be put in place this month. Going with peco code 75 and electrofrog points through out thanks to seanhellen's feedback. Which also means my current lot of code 100 and hornby set track will be getting sold. :)

Track design may change but not by much, was actualy considering adding more but will wait and see how i get on with the current track work. :lol:

seanhellen

Postby seanhellen » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Glad I could be of help :lol:

I found out the hard way that plans never pan out as they are on paper - I have just settled on a layout for a siding which was just going to be a single...turned out to be a 3 legged job as 1 leg just seemed like it was an after-thought :lol:

Will be looking forward to seeing how you get on :D

P.S. did you see my last post on my thread about the cobalt motors?

Just in case you didn't 8)

seanhellen wrote:Hi,

The cobalts are great, the instructions that come with are vague to say the least, however the online instructions are superb and can be found here--> http://www.dccconcepts.com/PDF_Download ... manual.pdf

The instructions say to use sticky pads or the screws supplied to mount it but the pads I had (not supplied) werent really stick enough, but the screws were a pain to get in...well for me and my big hands anyways. Soooo, i ended up temp. fixing the motors with the pads, making sure they threw the points correctly then used a hot glue gun to hold the properly. Also the instructions say to remove the spring by taking the point apart but you can pull it out from under the point before you lay it

I know it soinds like a lot of work, but it is more than worth it in the end.

Electrical connections are easy too, theres 8 of them on the motor, just tin the ends and you can "poke" them
In the connection block - job done the 2 either end are for the motor (yep, just 2 wires) and the other 6 are for the 2 built in switches...you use 1 set for changin polarity of the point frog and I use the other switch for LED indication on the control panel...or I will when I get them

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:34 pm

Im realy looking forward to getting started on the track work, it will be interesting to say the least. :lol:

i did see your last post and ended up downloading the whole manual :lol: , to be honest it is realy helpful as it gives you clear directions and help from start to finish, even gives you ideas on how to wire the track up and ballasting. needless to say i will have to resort to this manual on many occasions. thanks for the link to it. :)

seanhellen

Postby seanhellen » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Yeah, it is a very good read wether your going with cobalts or not.

In the manual it suggests using a template for pilot holes and tiebar holes but I didnt bother, guestimates all the way and they still work :lol:

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Yea i seen that part, :lol: i like the idea about stripping the plastic switch off the point and addin in extra sleepers with just a little bit of plastic for the motor to hook into, made it look a little more subtle. :)

seanhellen

Postby seanhellen » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Yeah, I looked at that and I suppose they do look a little bulky, but then it started talking about copper clad sleepers and painting them to make them look the same, etc. I have already done enough with the wiring, I aint desperate enough to get rid of the plastic bit too :lol: Although I will admit they do look better

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:37 pm

On Hold.

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Hope all is ok pal... I'm hoping to get started again on mine shortly... Jas.. :D

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi Jas,

Will be getting back on track end of this month, been busy spending time with the missus sorting out the wedding plans and getting things booked and ordered. Hopefully get most of the track i need and layed this month as i need to catch up with seanhellen. :lol:

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:46 am

How do.. Wedding plans eh? That'll be all the layout money spent on flowers etc then won't it? lol...
Shall look forward to your return to action on here though, keep trying to push myself back to doing something but not getting far, only just started with little bits and bobs lately.
And you better get on with it if ya gonna catch our nemesis hahaha...
Jas... :D

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:28 pm

Yea i tried cutting costs for the wedding so i could get some track but she was having none of it, especialy when i came up with the idea of cutting out the bently and limo for her and the bridesmaids and replacing them with a transit minibus. :shock: Did not go down well. Ive now found it easier just to nod my head in agreement and hand over the bank card. :lol:

Im on holiday for 2 weeks starting this friday night so plenty time to get track ordered and start laying. 8)

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Guess you have one of these then?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridezillas
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:Guess you have one of these then?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridezillas

Hit, Nail and Head spring to mind right now. :lol: :lol:

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:00 am

I was quite lucky our wedding was a very quiet affair.
All done in 15 mins then close family (parents and kids) went for a nice meal... job done
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”