Round the room

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
seanhellen

Round the room

Postby seanhellen » Sun May 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi everyone.

Well, the time has come - I have started my layout that I have been meaning to start for the past 3-4 years :shock: I started it about a week back and got a few photos of progress so far. I would like to say i am nowhere near any sort of carpenter/joiner (as you will see) and other layouts on this site will put mine to shame - but I tried :D...might not be great, but its MINE :lol:

Here is my trackplan;-

It is going to be a OO gauge DCC Prodigy Advance2 controlled layout with Peco Code 75 Finescale track and Peco large points (SL-E188 and 189)

I haven't really got a time period in mind, all I can think of is country (bushes, trees and grass) rather than city (buildings and lots of roads) and stock-wise, it will certainly be a run-what-I-want layout :D

Ok, this is the bit I am dreading - here are a few pics of where I am at the moment;

These 2 pics show what space I have to play with - it is basically a (very big) converted attic - there is another room opposite slightly bigger than this one (where I am sat now) with the computer in it. Stairs come up between the 2 rooms

Work begins. Like I say, I am no joiner and this is my first project, ever...at least one where I need to be pretty specific in measurements :lol: It doesnt look it but the boards (as you see them here) can hold my near-19 stone frame with ease so thats sturdy enough for me :D
You will also see lots of wire (and Dyson) a couple of pics up...that is 16.5m worth of 2.5mm twin and earth cable for the DCC bus...thought it would never end :o

Yep, there has to be an obstacle somewhere. I was tempted to just make a stable door out of the door but then i wouldnt be able to get in so then thought about hanging the door the other way...well that got vito'd too, so bridge it was :!:

This was todays work - I did try to cover it in the halfords primer that I've been reading so much about but 1 spray can did a board and really stunk the room out (yep, I had the window open) so this is Wickes (my workplace) grey undercoat. I am colourblind but I think it is the same colour?

Right, off to bed, early start at work tomorrow 8)

Thanks,
Sean

poliss

Re: Round the room

Postby poliss » Sun May 20, 2012 10:06 pm

If you have more plywood to cut then it's best to pin another sheet to it. That way you won't get splinters at the edges. Also adjust the saw depth so that it only just cuts through it. You'll get a smoother cut that way.

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi there pal...
Nothing wrong with that joinery there... There is no specific right or wrong way anyway, if it works its good... Like the look of the plan aswell.. Should be a good one indeed... Shall be keeping an eye on it and see it prgress.. And I don't suppose you're planning on putting your 19 stone on it too frequently are you..? :lol:
Keep up the good work..
Jas... :D

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Sun May 20, 2012 10:33 pm

Looks like a good start and will be looking forward to seeing the updates as it progresses.
All Aboooooard !!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun May 20, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi Sean, looks a good sturdy base for your layout. Putting in a lifting bridge is the right decision, but do re-consider re hanging the door to open out, even if you have to sub-contract the job to a professional. It's ok putting the bridge piece in place at the beginning of a session and taking it out at the end, but if there's a sudden need to exit the room, opening the door and hands and knees escape is called for. Also you may wish to keep the door open whilst you are in there, that little bit less isolated than with the door shut.
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

seanhellen

Postby seanhellen » Sun May 20, 2012 10:51 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the comments.

poliss wrote:If you have more plywood to cut then it's best to pin another sheet to it. That way you won't get splinters at the edges. Also adjust the saw depth so that it only just cuts through it. You'll get a smoother cut that way.

Ill keep that in mind, thanks for the tip - unfortunately I have done all the cutting I intend doing but I will remmeber that for next time 8)

tractor37 wrote:.. And I don't suppose you're planning on putting your 19 stone on it too frequently are you..? :lol:

well this all depends how many bits I lose round the back :lol:

Hopefully at the weekend I will be getting my track, prodigy and a loco to test with...dont know what loco to test with though...a cheap dcc on board loco that is known to be tempramental...hmmmmm :wink: any ideas?

***EDIT*** Hi Bufferstop - I had to vito the idea (number 1 mum wouldnt let me :oops: ) but also because if I hung it to swing out 1 way, it would swing in front of the stairs and it cant swing the other way as the roof is a little lower and sloped differently :(

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Sun May 20, 2012 11:08 pm

I'd recommend a ViTrains or a Bachmann for your first loco. My first was a ViTrains and worked perfectly right out of the box (and still does). They are also nicely priced. I know own 3 of them. I also own a few Bachmann trains also and have been very pleased with them as well. Bachmann Class 150 is a nice runner (if it fits your era.)

Regards
Scott
All Aboooooard !!

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:11 pm

Would you not be able to replace the door with one of the fine concertina models sold by your very own fine employer?? :D

seanhellen

Postby seanhellen » Sun May 20, 2012 11:20 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:I'd recommend a ViTrains or a Bachmann for your first loco. My first was a ViTrains and worked perfectly right out of the box (and still does). They are also nicely priced. I know own 3 of them. I also own a few Bachmann trains also and have been very pleased with them as well. Bachmann Class 150 is a nice runner (if it fits your era.)

Regards
Scott

Anything will fit in my era - I might get the 150 that hattons have got at £65 - mostly because it has Preston on it which is where I live...SOLD lol...oh and a cheap chip to go with :D I just want it to go, so would a 36-554 do? everythiong else will be kitted out with lenz silvers when I get them, but just as a test loco would this decoder be ok?

tractor37 wrote:Would you not be able to replace the door with one of the fine concertina models sold by your very own fine employer?? :D

We dont do concertina doors :( we do folding patio doors or folding interior doors that are at least twice the "normal door hole" size but no concertina...maybe it was the...er...competition you were thinking of :D We do Bifold doors too but the same restrictions as a normal door apply - hit the layout 1 way or hit the roof/cover stairs the other :lol: they fold, but the door sits in the middle of the doorway...half in each room
Last edited by seanhellen on Sun May 20, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:22 pm

Ah well. Better scrap it all and move into a bigger place then... :lol:

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Sun May 20, 2012 11:31 pm

That will do nicely, I have a few of them in my locos and they all work real nice.
All Aboooooard !!

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:36 pm

The Bachmann 150 is a lovley unit.. Runs real nice and smooth.. Excpet I got the Leeds/York version instead as thats my line... :D I only got the same decoder in it you mention and its perfectly fine pal...
jas... :D

seanhellen

Postby seanhellen » Sun May 20, 2012 11:42 pm

tractor37 wrote:Ah well. Better scrap it all and move into a bigger place then... :lol:

:lol:

Ok, guess what my first train is gonna be then lol - all excited now...on about trains and havent even got the track in my hands let alone down yet :lol:

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:44 pm

Shop around for the 150, several places sell the one split form the pack quite cheaply... Well worth the price whatever though... :D

seanhellen

Postby seanhellen » Mon May 21, 2012 8:56 am

yep, just found it at model railways direct - dmu and chip for £70. Thatll do me :D

I have made a wee wishlist for hattons now...think I went a bit overboard though as it comes to just under £2000 just on locos :shock:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”