Essellty - a micro-layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
buz

Re: Essellty - a micro-layout

Postby buz » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:15 am

Hi piermaster
That is nice shame I can't afford one at the moment.
But I am working on that problem :D .
Thats just the thing for a super mini micro if there is such a thing ??
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Not much happening at the moment, I'm busy entertaining wife's family from Singapore who are over here 8 Dec - 1 Jan experiencing a British Winter (Don't ask!!)
Done the sightseeing around Suffolk (Lavenham, Sudbury, Felixstowe, Bury St Edmunds); Cambs (Ely, Cambridge); Paris; and London. Will get my life back after 1st January!!

Essellty now has two Ikea Jansjo clamp base lamps and the stock has been rationalised to:
BR (Ex-GWR) Parcels Railcar W34W - Lima body on Hornby chassis. Weathered.
BR Waggon und Maschinenbau Railbus E79961 - Heljan. Unweathered.
Network SouthEast Class 121 121025 - Hornby chipped. Slightly weathered.
Central Trains Class 153 153333 - Hornby. Slightly weathered.

2013 Exhibition bookings are:
16/02 - Harwich & District Railway Society, Park Pavillion, Barrack Road, Dovercourt
02/03 - March & District Model Railway Club, Westwood Community Junior School, Maple Grove, March PE15 8JT
03/03 - Stowmarket Railway Club, Train & Model Collectors Fayre, Community Centre, School St, Needham Market IP6 8BB
09 & 10/08 - Chakwell Park Methodist Church, Eastwood Lane Sth, Westcliff on Sea SS0 9XF
07 & 08/09 - Grantham Railway Society, Walton Girls High School, Kitty Briggs Lane, Grantham NG31 7JR tbc

Fuller details and photos are on Essellty's website http://www.essellty.co.uk

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:09 am

Essellty is now 100% DCC!!!

This is the order of stock now converted:

Heljan BR Waggon und Maschinenbau Railbus E79961
It took 3 hours to dismantle, chip (21 pin), reassemble, test, dismantle, adjust chip, test, reassemble, and test it!! No blood, plenty of sweat, and a tear when the three horn trumpets sheared off their roof mounting at one end, otherwise I'm happy!! Chipping one of these is not for the faint-hearted!

Hornby Network SouthEast Class 121 Railcar 121025
Came with standard 8-pin chip.

Hornby Central Trains Class 153 Railcar 153333
Shoehorn a standard 8-pin chip on top of the high circuit board in the tight roof space left - fun!!

Lima/Hornby BR ex-GWR Parcels Railcar W34W - Reserve
Lima body on Hornby chassis with standard 8-pin chip, the easiest to convert!

Control is by a Hornby 'Select' digital controller allowing me to have the buffer stop lights (Gaugemaster) on continually, to have train head/tail lights on whilst stationary, and to have superb speed control.

I will NOT be going down the sound route!

Cheers,

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:19 am

piermaster wrote:Essellty is now 100% DCC!!!

I will NOT be going down the sound route!

Cheers,

Chicken! lol :lol:
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Richey1977

Postby Richey1977 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:59 am

Excellent. Westcliff is about 10 miles from where my parents live, so I can visit them and kill two birds with one stone.

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Essex2Visuvesi:
I'm not struck about DCC sound for railcars as they basically sound more or less the same! Another factor against sound is the cost.

Nor have I forgotten the clown I was next to at a weekend exhibition one year who had a TMD layout with just about every version of Class 66 on it and all with DCC sound! He had set the volumes far higher than an actual Class 66 and ignored requests from exhibitors, public and exhibition management to reduce volumes or even to switch off the sound. After 3 hours I was needing paracetomol for my headache, after about 5 hours I was wanting Prozac!!! The following day I wore earplugs and could still hear the bloody 'ying ying ying' of his locos! Towards the end of the day I would've gladly put a chainsaw through his layout!!!

Needless to say I doubt he gets exhibition invites these days!
That's why I don't want sound!

Richey1977:
Will be glad to see you there, no sounds on Essellty though!

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:05 pm

piermaster wrote:Essex2Visuvesi:
I'm not struck about DCC sound for railcars as they basically sound more or less the same! Another factor against sound is the cost.

Nor have I forgotten the clown I was next to at a weekend exhibition one year who had a TMD layout with just about every version of Class 66 on it and all with DCC sound! He had set the volumes far higher than an actual Class 66 and ignored requests from exhibitors, public and exhibition management to reduce volumes or even to switch off the sound. After 3 hours I was needing paracetomol for my headache, after about 5 hours I was wanting Prozac!!! The following day I wore earplugs and could still hear the bloody 'ying ying ying' of his locos! Towards the end of the day I would've gladly put a chainsaw through his layout!!!

Needless to say I doubt he gets exhibition invites these days!
That's why I don't want sound!

Richey1977:
Will be glad to see you there, no sounds on Essellty though!

I know what you mean.... its nice in moderation tho, I only have one or 2 locos running at once for exactly that reason and mine are set to about 50% volume, but I agree after a little while it does start to grate.

I admit I am looking forward to getting the garden layout up and running as I think the sound will work much better outside
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Update:

Now all DCC operation with four railcars depicting the entire history of railcar design:

Early British Railways

Lima bodied, Hornby chassis ex GWR Parcels Railcar W34W in well-weathered maroon - why is it on a 1990 based terminus? Because I like it!

Heljan Waggon und Maschinenbau 4wh Railbus E79961 - A common sight on the Stour Valley and Colne Valley branches between 1958 and 1967.

Pre-privatisation
Hornby Class 121 'Bubble Car' 121025 in Network SouthEast livery representing one of two that worked on the Stour Valley branch Marks Tey-Sudbury prior to the delivery of Class 153 railcars.

The Privatised Railway
Hornby Class 153 153333 in Central Trains livery representing more or less the present day scene.

February 2013 saw the replacement of the poor quality shelter from the Heljan Tackley station kit by a Hornby Skaledale bus shelter which looks the part!

Watch this space for a new arrival after Easter!

Please see website (link in signature) for exhibition details.

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:11 am

And the latest arrival is:

59201 on route learning/crew training run.

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:09 am

Took stock of things and as Essellty is designed as a railcar-only micro-layout, then the loco has moved on.

Along the length of the board.

Now gone DCC and this is the cassette storage area whilst exhibiting at the March & District MRC show earlier this month. Experience taught me that three railcars can be easily managed during busy times at an exhibition, so I chose the three railcars appropriate to the Marks Tey - Sudbury branch. Yes, Bubblecars did operate the branch 1998-1999 whilst the 153s were away for modifications.

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:49 pm

Shock, horror!!! Took a look at my Reserve Lima ex-GWR Parcels railcar today to find that the plastic body is cracking with age and possibly due to the paint that the previous owner used - pity it will have to go.

All is not lost for I recently bought a Lima GWR passenger railcar in the rare full 'Great Western' livery and mounted that on the Hornby DCC chassis.

Additionally I flush-glazed the bodyside windows and added passengers in the saloon and drivers in each cab.

Here is GWR Heritage Railcar 29 at Essellty:

Apologies for the hurried mobile phone shots!

noctilux2

Postby noctilux2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:57 pm

Hi.

I too am exhibiting at Basingstoke (again) this year with "Kidmore Creek". Saw you photo of Essellty on their exhibition site & followed through to here. I too have a distinct preference to micros (see www.kidmorengauge.weebly.com if you have a bored moment) & have just finished my first in OO; normally do N. Appreciate you quoting length as 24" but could you advise depth please. Look forward to seeing Essellty in the flesh in March, thanks. David M.

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:13 am

Hi David M.

Thanks for your message,

Essellty is 8" wide. with a 2ft viewing length on a 3ft board. The website is now up to date.

See you there!

Cheers,
Dave

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Since my previous post, Essellty did shows at:

2014: Basingstoke & N Hants MRS, Chelmsford & District MRC, Sawbridgeworth Memorial Hall, Rushden Community College, 31A (Cambridge) MRC.
2015: Market Deeping MRC, Royston & District MRC, Lutterworth Railway Society, Broadland MRC.
2016: Luton MRC

After 4 years and over 20 shows it was time to retire it and was sold last week to a modeller in Ipswich who wanted a scenic DCC programming track which was what Essellty was designed for.

I now have two layouts.

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Sat May 30, 2020 10:34 am

Essellty is now on its third (or even fourth) owner and I believe was doing the rounds at various Essex exhibitions until Lockdown.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”