Shelf Layouts....a book too far or too short

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Class 60

Shelf Layouts....a book too far or too short

Postby Class 60 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:04 pm

I'll probably change the Title in the upcoming weeks to resemble the latest little shelf layout that im doing, mainly to keep an interest and mainly because they are easier to build, easy to maintain and offer a small scene for the fleet to be placed on!

Anyway most of you will probably have seen this before on Brblue and on here, however time has past and memories forgotton :roll:

So a quick recap, back in late 2008.. i started a small shelf layout called "abidale" yard measuring a merely 2ft by 1/2ft! All recycled material used in construction. The Embankment was created using the simple method of modroc strips and a skeleton cardboard structure underneath, the modroc was painted lime green as shown below.

Some simple cardboard cut-outs later and up pop 2 industrial buildlings, to deter the viewer (you!) from the backscene which wasn't a success, but who's one to waste?!

A few weeks and purchase of hanging basket liner later, resulted in the shelf layout looking a bit more real-like. The hanging basket liner was glued to the modroc embankment and to me improved the look, ten fold!

In the end, the shorter siding as shown in the first pic was being-under used and so i took the hard decision :roll: to extend it to the embankment! and this provided the following fleet pic

So here comes, the bridge and the hiding of the opening, to give the viewer a sense of its going or gone somewhere! Again, being recycled....Cardboard was used to create and then sprayed by Grey Car Primer! This strengthened the cardboard beyond, and so with added detail...it was finally getting there!

So it was back to the embankment, and adding more detail to what was there! First of all i added a 3D effect to the roof of the buildings by using very thin strips of balsa wood, i used a black felt tip permanent marker and coloured it before gluing it into place as shown below on the MOT centre building.

Whilst that was drying, my attention turned back towards the untouched backscene. I decided that i needed to put some sort of fencing on the embankment to again, give it depth and so i used some thin strips of balsa wood to create the fence. A bit of colour later and here was the result.

and while i was at it, an a ebay buy later....the second fence went up :wink:

Thats it for now! Part 2 will be up after a cuppa! :P

Adam

whynot

Re: Shelf Layouts....a book too far or too short

Postby whynot » Tue May 01, 2012 8:19 pm

Nice and .... compact, yes, that's the word!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:30 pm

whynot wrote:Nice and .... compact, yes, that's the word!

Thanks Dave, Compact is definately a word i'd use! Wait till you see the next shelf layout :lol:

Anyway Part 2 onwards!
Following on from the completion of the Knightwing Security fencing on the Embankment, i wanted to get rid of the plastic look somewhat! So out came a tin of Humbrol Dark Grey Paint which had been included in another kit form. Introduction of some steps (made from balsa wood!) and a painting of the rails using the Enamel Rust, gave the layout more added realism.

Whilst Feeling like a child again and holding the still wet Rust enamel paint brush, the security fence had an attack!

A Start on recycled ballasting also made an appearance,

Now some arty farty pics!
37427 and 37411 stable for the night in the dying sunlight....

Sadly whilst out on a working, 60012 suffered from Loss of Power. Unfortnately, it looks like damage was caused to the engine and oil pumping out

With the departure of long time resident 08, 37427 was drafted in as Super shunter cover untill a suitable loco is available

Thats about it for that layout, next update is the more recent one! :wink:

Cheers

Adam

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Tue May 01, 2012 9:26 pm

Layout is looking good Adam.
All Aboooooard !!

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Wed May 02, 2012 7:08 am

This is a really awesome layout, good work :D

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

BIG DUNC

Postby BIG DUNC » Wed May 02, 2012 7:53 am

Super looking layout Adam, Great set of picture's.

Duncan...

BIG DUNC

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:01 am

Like it - certain proof that you don't need to spend a fortune, or have a massive shed
to do effective railway modelling. I wish more beginners would learn their skills on
compact designs like this.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:50 pm

Thanks Guys, thats only 1 of them! Got another one to show which was an attempt at a NRM competition involving, water and some others which i have forgotton about :x however Geoff, Your quite right! One of the reasons why i started a shelf layout was so that a) i could do it with very minimal spend and b) to improve my skills before i tackle a bigger project.

I'm sure all of us have in a point in our modelling lives rushed things because we haven't got the patience to sit at it for longer or we plug the controller in!

And the best of all, everything was recycled! The track was in a box not being used, the hanging basket liner was years old....the fence was from an abandoned project and so on, so i do believe in everyone doing a shelf layout, at least once! i.e as a test bed for new techniques and to improve on skills already developed

Once i found my photobucket password, i shall update again showing the 2nd shelf layout

Cheers

Adam

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Mon May 07, 2012 7:06 pm

I remember that well, Adam 8)

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Mon May 07, 2012 10:45 pm

It looks rather good considering the minimal amount of money spent on it. Those backdrop stores look quite effective. I'll follow the same approach as you, but building a US style layout "Foldingham".

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

spongie

Postby spongie » Mon May 07, 2012 10:59 pm

well cool!!! I like it a lot.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”