My W.A.G.R layout- picture update dapol B17

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Timmy33

Re: My W.A.G.R layout- picture update dapol B17

Postby Timmy33 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:51 pm

I think i found the problem, the tender body was not correctly fitted on the wheelbase so the firemans foot plate was fowling on the on it causing restricted movement hopefull all is good now. You can see the gap pretty easily in the middle photo :-)

Timmy33

Re: My W.A.G.R layout- update

Postby Timmy33 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:16 am

Hi guys got quiet alot done over my week off, i got a compound mitre saw for christmas from my girl so i was able to build my table so no more working on the floor. Soldered power feeds to the track but its all live at the same time so i guess ive forced DCC on my self now haha. More scenery has been done although still needs more trees added. Tore up the section of track that was giving me a little troube and relayed it in a smoother 21" radius and installed a signal but its yet to be animated. Heres a teaser piccy more to come when i get time to resize them.
Regards Tim

Timmy33

Postby Timmy33 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:51 am

I like this photo, i think it shows how the railways been cut through the hill. Ive decided im moddeling winter hope my efforts are capturing the wide open countryside up here in the hills. This single line section is suppose represent more the old ER through sawyers valley and into mt helena. On the other side of the layout it will split into double track main to represent the newer line that passed through john forrest national park and up the darling scarp along the jane brook. Hope i can do the area justice as its a beautiful area.

Timmy33

Postby Timmy33 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:47 am

Heres another couple of photos showing the partly completed scenic area. The signal is an NJ International 3postion semaphore and can be bought off ebay.

Claude Dreyfus

Postby Claude Dreyfus » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:56 am

This certainly looks the part; the scenery really captures the look of Australia to me.

Interested to see how you get on with fitting DCC to the Micro Ace locos. They are lovely models, however some can have issues with scale...nominally all should be 1/150; but Japanese steam can vary - the Kato C11 is closer to 1/140!

Timmy33

Postby Timmy33 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Yes ive noticed a bit of size differance, in this case the microace seems bigger than the kato d51 but to be honest it doesnt botherme at all just love building the scenery and watching the trains run through it. As for dcc im going to visit dcc concepts in perth and have a chat about getting the chips installed ill have a go at it my self a bit further down the road when ive got more basic tasks figured out also hoping to get sound in a couple of the locos, thats of course if space in the locos allows it. Im pretty lucky to have a whole double car garage to work in.
Glad you liked it, Regards Tim

buz

Postby buz » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi Timmy33
That looks really good could do with a few more trees and a couple of Aussie grass hoppers or may be Emu's,
but better check that they are in that area first
That signal looks really neat is it a working one ?? do you know if they do an HO version of it??
It should be red with a white chevron at the front and white with a black chevron at the back.
Yes it does look a lot better in a nice winter green.
What do you plan on making black boy's out of (Yes I know thats the politically incorrect name for the plant) and Zinia (spelling)
Palms that could be quite a challenge in "N".
Regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

stretch

Postby stretch » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi Timmy33, Im Stretch the road builder on the MSLR which my mate Buzz is making.
In regards to Model Railways in WA we have been for years (Commonly ripped off) but there is now a
new kid on the block (Hobbytech international) which is down in the suburb of Hilton, and he is really switched on
for the model railroader like you and me and buzz, so it will interesting to see prices suddenly drop by other hobby shops in the new year.
Are you an AMRA member yet, if so you should come down to see what we can offer to you, including how to make (Grass Trees) in N scale,
Anyway keep up the fantastic work on your layout,

Cheers,
Stretch

Timmy33

Postby Timmy33 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:51 am

Hi sretch, I quite liked the road on buz's layout. Yeah model products are quite expensive over here so i tend to turn to ebay when i want something. Ill buy it while im up north at work and its normally waiting for me by the time i fly home. As to kangaroos agai emu's in the area i can say they sure are!!! I live about 5mins walk from the 1st eastern railway and ive had kangaroos bounce out infront of me on the driveway and as kids me and my sister spent a couple of days chasing an emu around on our bikes. It stopped hanging around our house after that. As for blackboys i have had a couple of ideas as to how i could make them but just been to busy getting my head around frog wiring and droppers re learning how to solder etc. But soon as i get more time ill be making more trees. You guys wouldnt know where i can find the dark colour balast used on this line i think its blue metal, i should take a photo when i go for my wander down looking for coal to crush for the wagons.
Regards Tim

Timmy33

Postby Timmy33 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:53 pm

I had a look on ebay for you buz but i couldnt find that signal in Ho or OO but that doesnt mean it doesnt exist ill try find it on the NJ Internationals website when i get a quite minute. Its been flat out up here at work. The signal is not annimated yer but comes fuly assebled from brass with led light with voltage dropper resistor already attached and the wire installed for animation i just have not bought the motor unit to control it yet, i beleive the mech required is a tomar 860 but dont quote me on it haha
Regards Tim

Timmy33

Postby Timmy33 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:48 am

Well i been doing some research while stuck up at work and im 99% set on purchasing the NCE Power House Pro when i return to perth. It looks a great peice of gear and the manual is so easy to understand the digi trax systems manual was confusing in comparison. All thats left to do is go check both systems out in flesh to get a feel for the throttles etc
Regards Tim

buz

Postby buz » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:26 am

Hi Timmy33
Woodland scenics do a range of different colors and grades of ballasts one of those should do the job.
I used their cinder ballast on mine.
It can be a bit pricey but it is a good product.
Check the grade of ballast to make sure its what you want they list by scale and coarse or fine.
Oh just in case you cant find the older dirty ballast color you want, new ballast is a very light grey
and before you get to far avoid Life Like scenic scatter products like the plague they are cheap nasty rubbish.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

Timmy33

Postby Timmy33 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:52 pm

Well i did it, went outva bought the 5amp power pro NCE system. And left two trains to be chipped and going to getvanother couple chipped with sound next time i fly home. Hope you all had a great christmas.
Regards Tim

Timmy33

Postby Timmy33 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:35 am

Been pretty slack the last couple of breaks back from work so not much to report. Got two trains chipped and two are in getting sound fitted. Also bought a couple of gwr passenger coachs so passenger services may start.
Happy moddeling all
Regards Tim

breraus

Postby breraus » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:39 am

Can't believe I've only just stumbled across this.

What an awesome layout, and individual too.

I reckon your scenery would benefit from some grass trees (AKA blackboy trees).

P.S I'm in High Wycombe, at the bottom of the hill.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”