My W.A.G.R layout- picture update dapol B17

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Timmy33

My W.A.G.R layout- picture update dapol B17

Postby Timmy33 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Hi everyone my name is Tim, I have recently Begun working on my first layout. Im hoping to model the West Australian Goverment Railways eastern line that ran through the perth hills area where i live. It was pulled up in 60's but most of the allignments remain as a heritage/walk trail. i have an area about 4m x 6m to work with so hopefully should be able to fit a fair bit in :D
So far i have the the first lot of baseboards ready will post some photo's soon
Last edited by Timmy33 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:58 am, edited 7 times in total.

Terrier

Re: My W.A.G.R layout in N scale

Postby Terrier » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:02 pm

G'day Timmy and welcome the forum chap. :D

Look forward to seeing this, something unusual for some of us pommys to have a look at. :)

Timmy33

Postby Timmy33 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:11 pm

Haha i have the feeling im probably biting off way more than i can chew trying to model this for my first layout as ill have to do alot of kit bashing and scatch building, so no doubt you guys will be getting plenty of questions from me :|

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:55 pm

No worries mate, it's what this forum is all about, first attempts, hints and tips from others who've done similar, that kind of thing. so be brave and post away :wink: :D

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:16 am

6 x 4m is a very large area for N, what I personally would do is break the layout into sections with temporary loops of track laid round the rest of the boards allowing you to concentrate on modelling and creating the scenery one section at a time. This way you won't be so daunted by the task ahead and feel like you aren't getting anywhere, even if you spend quite a few hrs at a time on it.

Timmy33

Postby Timmy33 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Trying to attach a photo but doesnt seem to be working, how do you put photo's up? 8)
Thank you fot all the positive responses so far guys

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Register on photobucket, upload the picture there and then when you hover over the picture in your album, you'll see 4 lines of code in boxes. Copy and paste the last 1 on here and hey presto. :)
Just make sure that your picture isn't more than 800 pixels wide, photobucket has an inbuilt tool to resize your pictures though if they are too big.

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:23 pm

Welcome to the boards Timmy. It'll be interesting to see another part of the world modelled on here.

As to posting photos. As Nick said, photobucket is useful for this. There is an auto set feature on there you can choose, so you can upload photos to the same size onto photobucket. 800 x 600 is the max size you can post onto here.

When you have your photos uploaded to photobucket. They can be posted onto here by;

1, Have 2 windows or tabs open. One for photobucket & the other for the NRM thread you want to post to.

2 Hover your mouse over a photo and a data box will appear. Click on the Image box & it the photo will be copied.

3 Go to your NRM window/tab. Click on the reply button & at top of dialogue box, Click on the Img icon. The following will appear in the dialogue box [img].[/img]

4. Click between the and press the Ctrl button & V........ this will paste the image address between the img boxes ....... ie [img]xyz123[/img]

5. You can add as many photos this way into a single posting. The click on the Submit button.

One thing to be aware of.
You can create folders in photobucket. Be aware that the name of the folder is part of the address for the photo. If you change the name of a folder after posting to here. You'll lose the photos posted from that folder to NRM, as the photo addresses are no longer the same. The only way to correct this, is either. Change the photobucket folder name back to its original. Or Edit the photo/s posted on NRM so that they have the same addy.......... A time consuming mistake I found for myself. :shock:
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

Timmy33

Postby Timmy33 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Thanks for the info guys, ill give it a shot when I get back to the camp after work.
On the red eye shift tonight 6pm till 6am, gotta love workin on a minesite haha

Timmy33

Postby Timmy33 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:52 am

Well here goes nothing. well would you look at that haha it seems to of worked :shock:
My First lot of baseboards
and now a thid section of baseboard added

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:58 am

I would put a batten fram around the baseboards before fitting them to the cabinet tops, this will give room for wiring/point motors etc and help the plywood keep its shape
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Timmy33

Postby Timmy33 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:10 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me, is a batten frame just timber screwed under baseboard across the width of it? im using 14mm thick mdf as i was able to get a huge sheet for 20cents as it was the top sheet and had light surface marking :D
Regards Tim

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Yep just a timber frame around the outside with a couple of extra braces along the length running fron to back (Usually about 2 feet or so apart). This helps to keep everything straight and level, as its suprising how heavy the baseboards will become once scenics and stuff are fitted

Something like the top of this one
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Timmy33

Postby Timmy33 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:57 pm

I remember seeing a small book on baseboard construction at my local hooby shop, i think i better pick it up and have a lil read of it when i fly home from work :oops:

Timmy33

Re: My W.A.G.R layout in N scale, Rain Delay :(

Postby Timmy33 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:31 pm

Having a rotten run of luck with weather up at work, was suppose to flyout sunday arvo
Its now sunday and im still stuck on the mine site, so updates will start flowing when I can get back home.
Itching to get back into the layout so time is going torturesly slow :cry:
Regards: Tim

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”