Paggminster - NEW UPDATE 19/8/13

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
thomasg87

Paggminster - NEW UPDATE 19/8/13

Postby thomasg87 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:14 am

Good Evening All,
Hoping you are all well and had a pleasant festive time over xmas and new years.
This is my first post on here since mid-last year!
Some of you may remember my previous layout 'Paggington Green' and the small OO shelf layout that i built in the interim, due to Paggington Green being dismantled as we were moving house.
Well we have finally settled in to the new house (after a short delay), got christmas over and done with and are getting on with all those important new house tasks, such as painting, building model railway, decorating, oh and did i mention building a model railway! lol
With a nice big double garage a new layout was always on the cards - a chance to properly build a layout with lots of room.

Keeping in mind all the mistakes from the last layout - Paggington Green - which were mainly electrical and bad layout, I will be attempting to put right these.
The layout as before will be DCC and will be correctly wired with electrofrog points, bus wire, ect. However, due to the infernal budget constraints set down by SWMBO point motors will be omitted. Which i am not too fussed about as all points will be easily accessible from the large operating well in the centre. All points are electrofrog with polarity switching done from a central point of control.
I will be using peco code 100 flexitrack as i want to get away from the rigid/linear look of setrack and have more graceful curves on the layout.
Again due to the infernal budget this layout will be contsructed in four phases of baseboard and trackwork construction, with no scenery work to be commenced until the trackwork is complete.
Here is the plan for the fist phase:

The overall size of this board - phase 1 - is 4800x900mm.
Although fairly simple it will give the running capabilities that i want. As you can see there is a mainline with will be served with through platforms and terminating platforms.
With a station avoiding line which will be a goods line, which will have its own platforms and goods shed, with some sidings to the right. One of those might become a coal merchant.
The through platforms of the station will be about two metres long so these will accomodate rakes of up to seven coaches.
Heres is a sketch over the plan, of what i intend - it is a bit crumpled as my two year old son decided to use it for his own drawing creation! lol

Last edited by thomasg87 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:58 am, edited 33 times in total.
"I think you're wandering into the realms of fantasy, Jones."

thomasg87

Re: New 00 Layout - No name as yet...

Postby thomasg87 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:40 am

There has already been a change to this plan... I added the headstunt to the up mainline of the through platform as indicated as a possibility on the sketch.

The other three phases of this layout are yet to be planned but they will connect together to make a square and thus create a continuos loop of mainline track.
Phase two will be the TMD and stabling yard, this will be located from the left of the baseboard and connect up the goods yard line, which will also serve as a line for locomotive change over. This will have the main line running through it and the yard will incorporate turntable, coaling plant, sheds, ect.
Phase Three and Four wont be as intense on track work, probably just long stretches of mainline through the countryside, but i am planning to create embankments and bridges and interesting scenery along the way.
As i have already begun, here a quick look of what i'm up to:

here is an overall view so far. As you can see I only have one of the two mainlines in at the moment, hoping to finish this very soon.
At this point some viewers will be commenting on the lack of track underlay, I was decided to definately have some sort of track underlay on this layout, however I was finding it increasingly difficult to find a suitable, cost effective underlay in Australia, so i decided to investigate further. During my search I found several who claim that underlay has no or little sound deadening qualities as it is the glued ballast which amplifies the sound of engines, once it has set rigid hard. I put this to the test with a sound pressure meter of a friend of mine.
This findings were that underlayed ballasted track, as opposed to just ballasted track was only 1-5 decibels lower. So weighing up all the evidence i went with... No underlay :)

Pointwork into the station - I have just taken delivery of some more electrofrogs, so this will be expanding soon

Control panel - still under contsruction as remaining frogs to be wired in yet, but when completed this will be screwed down and have an edging around it, so as to not intrude on the scenery.

And Finally a shot of Class 9F 'Evening Star' with a long mixed freight. i couldn't resist running something on there :D

All Questions and Comments most welcome
Cheers and Enjoy,

Thomas

Desmond84

Postby Desmond84 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:39 pm

hey really like your station plan loads of room!, will watch your progress, I'm tying to achieve something similar :P

Des

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:42 pm

This looks really good :) I like it :)

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

thomasg87

Postby thomasg87 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi there again,
Thanks guys for your kind comments.

Well, I have been cracking on with work on the layout. The last electrofrog points arrived on friday so I have been consumed with completing the track work for this board.
Heres are shot:

Those with eagle-eyes will notice that the plan around the goods yard/goods line has altered very slightly, but the original idea is still present.

As this is a DCC layout I have just spent the afternoon crawling around under the baseboard connecting the bus to the droppers of the track. :cry: This was a challenge being quite tall, especially with all the junk underneath which had to be moved :D

This is the view from the other end of the board.
The middle siding here is raised up very slighly under some ply-wood, just to give the board some definition when the scenery goes in. Although I am not a fan of gradients, as the space required to accurately model a true railway gradient is huge, I will be altering the track levels here and there very slightly throughout this layout.

As I have declared that no major scenery work will be happening on the layout until the trackwork is complete, I am about to start planing phase two of construction which is the board containing the TMD. This board, although no as big as phase one, will be more complex due to more pointwrok and sidings required from a working TMD with coaling plant and turntable.
As i havn't done the track plan yet for phase two, I though i would post the newest additions to my fleet of locos for you all to look at,
The most recent addition to the fleet over christmas - Bachmann DCC 2-6-0 K3 - I am not familiar with bachmann models as i have alway been Hornby, but I am impressed so far with this model.
This loco was a trial and tribulation - Class J94 0-6-0T. The 2011 Hornby Catalogue stated that this item is DCC ready, apprently this is a mis-print :cry:. Which I only found out after the loco was purchased for me by a relative whilst they were on holiday in the UK. So, Still wanting the item I embarked upon fitting a DCC decoder without a socket, with my new found soldering skills :shock: All was well and the loco runs fine now DCC fitted. A enqiury in to hornby resulting in profuse apologies and a complimentary decoder!

And last but not least Bachmann DCC Fitted saddle tank 'Greg' 0-4-0.
He was one of the purchases on ebay that you bid on and dont expect to win!
I have to say when he arrived he was filthy, so i cleaned up he wheels and running gear quickly and he is running now but requires a full overhaul ASAP. I think he will go alright on the layout however, he is a little wider than most locos and got stuck on my shelf layout which none of my other locos do. I will have to watch out for this when planning the current layout.

Well, thats all for now,
Thanks for looking,
Thomas

Desmond84

Postby Desmond84 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:22 pm

Love that Bachy 2-6-0...

I also plan on DCC for my layout with the Select controller, can you explain what 'bus to droppers of the track' is? I was just gunna run mine with basic select input, but I have heard others refer to this and was wondering if its something important I've missed??

Cheers,
Des

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:35 pm

Basically it refers to having 1 central wire or bus, running the length of the layout with wires attached to it from the track to ensure all sidings are fed with electricity. You then connect the bus to the controller which ensures the signal gets to the loco wherever it is located on the layout.

thomasg87

Postby thomasg87 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:31 am

Hi Des,

Nick is right. DCC bus is the main set of wires that run around under the layout with droppers, which are smaller wires connected to every piece of track to the Bus wire. This ensures a constant flow of electrical current to every part of the layout.
When i was returning to the hobby after a break of a few years, i decided upon DCC and just plugged the controller in and all was good. However, when i was becoming more involved in the layout, especially after i ballasted, i began noticing voltage drop along the rails and poor performing points. Which resulted in poor performance of the locos. Upon investigating this i learned that over time fishplates becomes all grunged up and dirty which restricts the flow of electricity through the track. This problem is accelerated when you ballast as you are adding a wet product over the track which leaves behind a residue. By having bus wires you are eliminating the reliance on fishplates for electrical conductivity.
However, if you are using Peco setrack or the Hornby track system, soldering droppers to every piece of track can become quite time consuming, especially if your no good at soldering!
I would advise using Peco Flexitrack which is 914 mm long so reduces the amount of work. Also, if your going to install a bus i would advise using elecrofrog points, which also require some soldering and modification. But the over all effect is defintely worth it, with no loco stalling on points and improved running.
But really it all depends on you, and what you want, and what your comfortable with doing. If your happy with what your doing then go for it - there are many who will give you their opinions and, must do this that and the other, but model railways are a hobby to be enjoyed not endured.
Sorry if this is a huge dump of info, but i found it very confusing when learning about all this, hope this helps and if you want any more info just ask,

Cheers for looking,

Thomas

thomasg87

Re: New 00 Layout - **LAYOUT FOR SALE**

Postby thomasg87 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:51 am

Hi all

As I have began my new layout, me previous much smaller shelf based layout is now surplus to requirements. So i am endevouring to sell it.
the layout is located in Melbourne Australia, which i know will knock out most of you from the buying process, but i want to cover all my bases and make sure i can get a buyer.
Here is the link:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Model-Railway-00-Shelf-Layout-DCC-/170769258557?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Railways&hash=item27c2a4183d#ht_677wt_1335
I hope it works :D

Anyone with questions feel free to ask, the thread will still be on here somewhere if any wants to look it up,

Cheers,
Thomas

Desmond84

Postby Desmond84 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:23 pm

thomasg87 wrote:Hi Des,

Nick is right. DCC bus is the main set of wires that run around under the layout with droppers, which are smaller wires connected to every piece of track to the Bus wire. This ensures a constant flow of electrical current to every part of the layout.
When i was returning to the hobby after a break of a few years, i decided upon DCC and just plugged the controller in and all was good. However, when i was becoming more involved in the layout, especially after i ballasted, i began noticing voltage drop along the rails and poor performing points. Which resulted in poor performance of the locos. Upon investigating this i learned that over time fishplates becomes all grunged up and dirty which restricts the flow of electricity through the track. This problem is accelerated when you ballast as you are adding a wet product over the track which leaves behind a residue. By having bus wires you are eliminating the reliance on fishplates for electrical conductivity.
However, if you are using Peco setrack or the Hornby track system, soldering droppers to every piece of track can become quite time consuming, especially if your no good at soldering!
I would advise using Peco Flexitrack which is 914 mm long so reduces the amount of work. Also, if your going to install a bus i would advise using elecrofrog points, which also require some soldering and modification. But the over all effect is defintely worth it, with no loco stalling on points and improved running.
But really it all depends on you, and what you want, and what your comfortable with doing. If your happy with what your doing then go for it - there are many who will give you their opinions and, must do this that and the other, but model railways are a hobby to be enjoyed not endured.
Sorry if this is a huge dump of info, but i found it very confusing when learning about all this, hope this helps and if you want any more info just ask,

Cheers for looking,

Thomas

Thanks for that info it was very useful!

Des

thomasg87

Postby thomasg87 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Good Morning All,

Well its update time. Having completed the track work of Phase One, having successfully wired that section, I got itchy feet to start the next phase.

This board will house the TMD and coaling plant and hopefully a turntable in the future.
Here some pics:
This the framework for Phase two. As you can see it built off phase one board which is firmly dyna-bolted to the brick work, with the addition of some nylon anchors to the concrete floor, this board is a solid as a rock! :D
I have also threaded the bus wires through holes in the framework to make things easier later on. I discovered the joys of crawling around on my hands and knees with a soldering iron last weekend!

Before we go any further, i have to explain that this board is stepped in from the edge of the phase one board for a reason. And, that is that if i were to attach this board at the very edge it would cut of access to the sink and hinder walking through to the rear roller door. As it was when SWMBO saw it there was a look of annoyance at how big the layout was becoming! :lol:
This solution is this:
This 'shelf' to allow the trackwork to gracefully curve around.
Baseboard Two Completed.
This shows the trackwork around the bend, and some minor track planning.

Thats it for today, should hopefully get some more track layed today but I'm waiting on the arrival of points so niothing major until next week :cry:

Cheers,

Thomas

thomasg87

Re: New 00 Layout - Baseboards Complete!

Postby thomasg87 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:09 am

Evening All,

Well, after a long day I have finally completed the baseboards for the layout! :D
I'll let the pictures do the talking...
Completed loop for the mainlines.

This shows the area for the viaduct, I have yet to decided on the finer details.

another random view.

I'm toying with the idea of having a lower level of track running part the way round the inside of the operating well, not a continuous loop but maybe a branch line. This will leave the mainline somewhere - i dont know where yet :)

I'm expecting to complete the trackwork fairly soon due to a cash injection from the sale of my small shelf layout, which brought a nice tidy sum. So, what this space! :D
thats all for now,

Cheers

Metallicadam

Postby Metallicadam » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:44 pm

looks really good! Looking forward to following the progress of this one too!
My Warhammer Modelling/Gaming Blog - To tide me over till the money comes in and i can afford a layout!

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Looking all top quality to me pal.. Nice woodworking there.. Will be watching this one progress..!
Jas... :D

markeg

Postby markeg » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:50 am

Hi Thomas,

Looks good. Saw your shelf layout on ebay and watched it. Glad it went for a good price. I have not switched to dcc but have a dcc loco (Hornby A4 with sound) which i can run on dc, but a fellow club member gladly lent me a Hornby Select unit as he had 3. Am rewiring control panel to switch between the two on the outside mainline.

I was just wondering if the viaduct was deep enough? It looks to be only about 67mm, the thickness of the timber. Just a thought.

Mark

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”