Paggminster - NEW UPDATE 19/8/13

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Boolbar

Re: 00 Layout - MASSIVE update 14/10/12

Postby Boolbar » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:18 am

Just read through and I'm impressed. Lots of good ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:05 pm

Very impressive! I love the boarded up window idea!
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!
My OO work in progress: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36766

NEvans

Postby NEvans » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Blue_2 wrote:Very impressive! I love the boarded up window idea!

First time read this thread, excellent work. Agreed the window looks great. But overal think your water looks briliant, not seen better.
First foray into N Gauge: SimpleTown 4'x2'

thomasg87

Re: 00 Layout - New update 21/10/12

Postby thomasg87 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:33 am

Hi Guys,

Well i have been busy once again this weekend, mainly rectifying last weeks signal box debacle!!
As i said earlier, I decided to change the signal box on the embankment and creat a sort of, cutting. 'Sort of' because instead of cutting out a section of the embankment and having the box a ground level , i decided to raise up the box on a brickwork pier.

Heres some shots to better explain...
BEFORE:

AFTER:

What do you think??
I wanted to get some more detail work done today but time ran away. :D
I suppose its not strictly prototypical, but it is now plausible at least, with the point rodding theoretically being run vertically down and out the brickwork.
I havn't added the opening yet for the rodding, thats later.

Also I decided it was time to build the water crane kit i have had for ages, that was to go by the water tower in the yard.
I used the ratio kit and it was very easy to complete...

I also need to do some weathering here and general dirtying up! But i pleased so far.

Now heres some shots of something i have been working on for a while, well thinking about for a while anyway :lol: :lol:
Water Troughs,

I will have to put in an overall picture, these two aren't very good.
I thought that i hadn't seen water troughs modeled very much on layouts (i could be wrong!!) So i thought i might have a go at some scratch built versions.
I used some evergreen channel strips, with the ends capped off, sprayed a suitable colour with realistic water painted in.
I still need to make suitable signage for them, but i think they work.

Thats all for now, Dinners ready,

Cheers,

Thomas
"I think you're wandering into the realms of fantasy, Jones."

Pedro32

Postby Pedro32 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:40 am

Looking fantastic. The signal Box looks like its been there ages!

Will follow with interest :D

Lysander

Re: 00 Layout - NEW update 21/10/12

Postby Lysander » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:24 am

The signal box thing was definitely worth reconsidering Thomas and I really like the solution, I can see it working in life.

The water troughs - see these rarely modelled, I guess because they require a good stretch of straight track. From photos I've seen, there is usually a fairly substantial line-side water tower to hand, with associated plumbing, and an awful - awful - lot of timber cladding running along the lines to prevent - I guess - water splash from washing out the ballast. They must have been dangerous and slippery places to walk, too, for the lineside gangs.

Photo attached [no intentional breach of copyright, if there is one] but in spite of what I've said, it shows troughs on a gentle curve - so there are options.

http://myrailwaystation.com/STEAM%20ARO ... 35_jpg.jpg

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

thomasg87

Postby thomasg87 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:44 am

Hi Tony,

Thanks heaps for that info. I have been thinking that the troughs will require a lot of cladding work. I think this will be a work in progress- a long one lol!!!
Cheers for the comments,

Thomas

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:50 pm

thomasg87 wrote:I think this will be a work in progress- a long one lol!!!

Yes, a bit like the five feet of matchstick fencing I've got to build !

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

NEvans

Re: 00 Layout - New update 21/10/12

Postby NEvans » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:15 pm

thomasg87 wrote:As i said earlier, I decided to change the signal box on the embankment and creat a sort of, cutting. 'Sort of' because instead of cutting out a section of the embankment and having the box a ground level , i decided to raise up the box on a brickwork pier.
What do you think??

Looks excellent. Didn't see a problm before but definate improvement.
First foray into N Gauge: SimpleTown 4'x2'

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:07 am

Fantastic layout!! Great space and excellent design and scenery!! I'm envious!! :twisted:

Can I ask how you went about weathering and painting the turntable and loco sheds?? I'm assuming filler throughout and then just painted.

What paints did you use?

Thanks

Matt

ewarwoowar

Postby ewarwoowar » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:24 pm

Spent time I never had digesting the whole thread. Glad I did! :)

Fantastic layout and truly inspirational. I love the loco yard and turntable. I can only hope my effort will look half-as good!

tornado64

Re: New 00 Layout - No name as yet...

Postby tornado64 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:46 pm

thomasg87 wrote:Hi there again,
Thanks guys for your kind comments.

This loco was a trial and tribulation - Class J94 0-6-0T. The 2011 Hornby Catalogue stated that this item is DCC ready, apprently this is a mis-print :cry:. Which I only found out after the loco was purchased for me by a relative whilst they were on holiday in the UK. So, Still wanting the item I embarked upon fitting a DCC decoder without a socket, with my new found soldering skills :shock: All was well and the loco runs fine now DCC fitted. A enqiury in to hornby resulting in profuse apologies and a complimentary decoder!

Thanks for looking,
Thomas

worth the effort though i'm still as impressed with this loveley model as when dapol first released it , i baught it as a first dcc installation project

thomasg87

Postby thomasg87 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:56 am

Afternoon All,

Thanks for the kind comments - it is nice to see that users are looking at threads even when there has been no new update!!

Tornado64- it is a lovely model isn't and a great runner too! Amazingly it is still working after my DCC conversion!

ewarwoowar- Thanks for reading the whole thread, hope it has inspired and given you ideas :D Occaisionaly i re-read the thread and it is amazing to look back and see how the layout has grown and changed. Please feel free to 'borrow' any ideas, after all that what NRM is about.

matt1471 - Thanks - to weather the buildings in the yard i used a combo of oil and water based black paint in diluted washes and dry brush techniques. And in areas around the coaling plant i went over this with weathering powders as i wanted a dusty look.
The ground of the yard is filler worked in around the tracks to give that uneven look, allowed to dry, then when it came to painting i mixed filler with some of the paints i was using to add another layer of effect. i also chucked some very fine ballast in some areas as well. The paints used on this were just regular acrylics in varying shades of dirty! lol
The turntable was a more laborious project - much to long to re-type now! i'm tired :lol: If you look back through the thread i gave extensive instructions to another user on what i did to it.

I hopefully will have some spare time this weekend, so there might be an update soon,

Cheers,
Thomas

johncrazy

Postby johncrazy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:08 am

lovely, so much to learn

thomasg87

Postby thomasg87 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:50 am

Hello All,
I know its been a while since my last update, however work has not stopped on the railway. in fact, there has been some rather splendid progress and changes!!
First, lets take a trip down memory lane...
Some of you may remember these sidings...
There were created as a small area for holding excess rolling stock as i didn't really know what to do with that area of the board past the depot and the pond.
Creating the sidings only partially solved the problem of what to do with this area as they weren't used much and there was still an area of the board that i coun;t find a legitimate use for.
Anyway, i had a brilliant idea :idea: (if i do say so myself lol) and decided that the track crossing the pond would serve as an extension to the main depot, with a small shed and ashpit and fueling sidings!!
Heres some pics of what i have created so far...

I have incorporated the ashpit, which is slightly raised up, however i leveled the ground out on the other side, for some visual interest. the un ballasted siding will have a small shed - probably a tank engine shed nothing too massive.
I actually need to post a more comprehensive photo showing where this is in relation to the depot and the pond. :(

I also have a grand plan for the area around the pond inbetween the depot areas. but you will have to wait for that one :D

In other news, i decided that an embankment would go nicely on the inner edge of the goods loop, and would also provide a nice break between main depot and goods yard and also allow walling to go up arounfd the main depot.
ImageImage

These last two shot show the 'break' i was talking about, allowing the wall to go up around the depot. I am very impressed with this as it really completes and contains the depot, where as bfore it had the 'fall of the edge of the world' look!!

Thats all for now, feel free to ask anything or comments,

Lots more work has been done lately, but i'm behind with my photos, so thats for next time,

Cheers,
Thomas

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”