My workbench thread

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
n2oo

My workbench thread

Postby n2oo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:22 pm

Hello everyone.
I have had a few layouts in the past, but never really completed anything, normally due to a lack of planning, thought etc, the usual things.
Last year I made the decision to sell all of my n gauge stock, and change back to oo. Just prefer working in this size.
Unfortunately, this also coincided shortly after with a house move, the unfortunate bit being that I lost a converted loft, but gained a garage.
I had to plan small, and started a 12' long depot layout. I love my locos, and recently discovered dcc, so thought it would be ideal.
Again this was a non starter, when we had last years really bad Winter, the boards warped, and it was also impossible to work in there, with the Baltic temperatures we have.
So, things ground to a halt. I actually thought I was going to have to give up.
A chance conversation with a builder earlier this Year, brought the discussion of loft conversions up. I sell to the building trade in my day job, and get the opportunity to pull a lot of favours in!
A month later and I had a large space in the loft, floor strengthened, basic insulation, power, I could start planning something decent again!
So far I have been getting used to Xtrack planning, its great to print ideas out full size to get a feel for the plan. I have a space roughly 20' by 7', the main area will consist of a mainline station, with some carriage sidings and a loco depot, along with a small goods yard.
Its early days yet, and theres probably a lot more planning to do before I lay any track. Trying to post a few pictures here so bear with me!

A few more piccies, inbetween painting the bathroom and avoiding the Wedding
Still only track plans and yet more locos at the minute I am afraid!

Latest arrival. Just noticed bloody handrail missing. Grrrr!

Who says I like Syphons?

Station Throat

Thats all for now folks! Back to bathroom painting :-crying

Today, I have been mostly....finishing off the layouts 1st 3 baseboards. Added adjustable feet,metal dowels for joining accurately, and clips on the edges to keep them securely joined.
I also got the new sander out (just how many flippng tools do us modellers have to buy!), to get the surface joints perfect.
I am really happy so far with the construction. Straight, level and true, a 1st for me! A good surface to start with I guess. I set them up in the loft, and have been playing at last with a 3 metre run to stretch my sound locos legs. I enclose a few pics, nothing exciting, but progress all the same
First run of baseboards, my spirit level says they are just fine and dandy!
General view
Now this is a beast. Fitted with a Howes sound chip, it blows socks of me Bacchy ones. Cant wait to get the continuous run sorted.
Again, Howes chip fitted, sounds fantastic.
Shades of Cambois? Yes, I do like 56's

So thats the current state of play. These boards are the main run, the curved ends will be mainly scenic. I can't actually start laying track until I have the boards for the curves completed....I have to leave the tops of the boards pictured loose ready for dowelling/joining to the next ones.
I have a few C and L point kits to be getting on with, need to make some jigs up for making the point vees and switchblades.
Its going to take a long time this, but I took my time with these 1st boards and they have turned out how I wanted them. Hopefully will be the same with the pointwork!
God help me when I get to the double slip though

Regards

Lee
Last edited by n2oo on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/br_blue/

Ex-Pat

Re: My layout.

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:08 pm

Looks a great start to me.

What thickness is your ply top - 9mm or 12mm? And what thickness are your sides - 6mm in double skin of each?

I see you will be having C and L points, but is the track SMP or Peco Code 75 or what?

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:12 pm

Hiya.
9mm ply tops, 9mm side beams. In Hindsight 9mm (18 in total) on the sidebeams is probably a bit belt and braces, but I guess its just fit and forget.
I wanted to build my own points, but the project is just too big, and I don't have enough time. I settled on a combination of Exactoscale for the plain track, and Peco code 75 for the points.

Cheers,

Lee.
Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Today, I have been mostly....finishing off the layouts 1st 3 baseboards. Added adjustable feet,metal dowels for joining accurately, and clips on the edges to keep them securely joined.
I also got the new sander out (just how many flippng tools do us modellers have to buy!), to get the surface joints perfect.
I am really happy so far with the construction. Straight, level and true, a 1st for me! A good surface to start with I guess. I set them up in the loft, and have been playing at last with a 3 metre run to stretch my sound locos legs. I enclose a few pics, nothing exciting, but progress all the same :-clap
First run of baseboards, my spirit level says they are just fine and dandy!
General view
Now this is a beast. Fitted with a Howes sound chip, it blows socks of me Bacchy ones. Cant wait to get the continuous run sorted.
Again, Howes chip fitted, sounds fantastic.
Shades of Cambois? Yes, I do like 56's :-spoton

So thats the current state of play. These boards are the main run, the curved ends will be mainly scenic. I can't actually start laying track until I have the boards for the curves completed....I have to leave the tops of the boards pictured loose ready for dowelling/joining to the next ones.
I have a few C and L point kits to be getting on with, need to make some jigs up for making the point vees and switchblades.
Its going to take a long time this, but I took my time with these 1st boards and they have turned out how I wanted them. Hopefully will be the same with the pointwork!
God help me when I get to the double slip though :-pmsl :-crazy

Regards

Lee
Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:22 pm

Evening. A couple of boring pictures of this weeks woodwork progress. Planned to do loads tonight, but managed to not have the correct sized screws :shock: And it was windy, and a bit nippy.
Dont know if you can make out from the piccies, but this is the first 'dropped' section, the trackbed will be added at the top of the high end piece. If that makes sense. Probably not!
Hoping to get on and finish at least one corner this weekend, so all will become clear.Image

Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:25 pm

Evening guys, A few photos of progress.
The weekend saw me and Guy, aka Mr Pointdexter get down to some more baseboard construction. Thanks for your help mate, was much appreciated!
This latest 'bit' is the first of the curved ends. As you can see from the photos, the base level has been dropped, by 4" to be precise, I plan to have a girder bridge, and then an embankment leading into a tunnel, and then after that the fiddle yard. I have 2 more of these to construct, and then thats the main area done.
I am not going to be as particular with the fiddle yard boards, so they shouldnt take as long to do. Still very much doubt I will have a loop ready this Year though.
Also some pics of my latest 37, 37417 'Highland Region. Best running 37 I have yet purchased. Smooth as silk, fantastic paintjob, usual Bachmann excellence.
If youre thinking of it just buy it!

Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:27 pm

I thought I would post a plan of what I am hoping to eventually achieve here. Any suggestions for change most definately not welcome, I'm too far into baseboard construction now :-nutty

Lee
Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Looking great so far. I ordered one of those Railfreight 37s, should be here in a few days. Looks a treat and I may have to have mine fitted with sound.
All Aboooooard !!

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Evening people.
I need some help. This afternoon, I cut some plywood track bases for my curved section at the end of the station. I left the board underneath these open plan, so I could incorparate a girder bridge, and some dropped scenery.
I'm a bit stuck as to what to actually do. In my head, I want the end of the platforms to stand on a retaining wall, which in turn supports the girder bridge. So I have an idea of what I want, but actually have no idea of how to actually achieve it.
Could anyone have a look at these photos and maybes offer some advice or pointers please? Visualisation, picturing, the finished article before its built is not one of my strong points.
Even a prototype picture of a similar scene would probably give me ideas, but I am yet to find the photograph.

This view shows the end of the platforms I am on about, which would then lead onto the bridge.

Have gone for 3 and a half foot curves, think they look ok with my longest stock, mk3's?
As you can see in the background, this is my area where the stabling point will be.

Any help, inspiration, photos appreciated all.

Regards,

Lee.
Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:30 pm

Evening.
Further to my postings about my tricky bridge issue, I decided to purchase the Scalescenes kit, and have a go. The nice chap there did me a 'custom' one, its basically much longer than standard so it will comfortably span 4 tracks instead of 2.
With a bit of patience, these kits are really easy to put together. The only problems I have had, are cardboard that warps very easily, and not being able to get the colour settings right on my printer :mad:
Its not perfect, but for a 1st attempt I don't think its too bad.
I have also just realised I have cut the angles wrong on the retaining walls...but the beauty of these kits is that you just go and print that particular part off again.
I can see my layout having quite a bit of Scalescene building work :mrgreen:
Some different pictures from the normal new stock ones!

Regards,
Lee.
Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:34 pm

Meticulous woodworking! I hope the apparent crack in the gable end is an optical illusion or the vibration of the locos will bring it down!

Should be a fine layout.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:43 pm

theres no crack mate, think its (hopefully!) just the chimney breast you have spotted?

Lee.
Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page

Desmond84

Postby Desmond84 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:44 pm

Looking great go for it!

Des

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:44 pm

Evening.
Not a whole lot to report today, I have been adding some supports for the raised trackbed section, and have trimmed the trackbed bit some more after working out where the bridge will go. I have laid a bit more track too, but I can't do as much as I would like, the glue is taking forever to set with it being so cold up in the loft.
It was brass monkeys in the garage too when I braved it with the jigsaw!
I am really enjoying these couple of hour afternoon modelling sessions, I seem to be getting quite a bit done.
Doubt I will do much tomorrow, but Thursday and Friday so far are hopefully almost full days on the layout.

Lee.
Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:47 pm

A couple more. Tracklaying was temporarily halted earlier when a huge wasp started buzzing around the loft :-shocked
No idea where he has been hiding. I just sprayed some fly killer at him then ran away. :-sick
The tracks on the extreme left and right of this picture are the ones I have been laying properly this week.They are about 13' in length, so its taken a few evening couple of hour sessions. Also the small spur that the Peak is standing on. That's the station area just about complete now. Next job is to wire in droppers on the new sections, and copperclad all the baseboard joins up.
You can see in this view the quite apparent difference in sleeper width between the Exactoscale flexi and Peco points. It won't be noticeable when everythings ballasted and painted though.

Cheers,

Lee.
Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”