My First Attic Layout - "Aston Magna"

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Boatboy1977

Re: My First Attic Layout - "Aston Magna"

Postby Boatboy1977 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:19 am

So a little more work has progressed... Am now about 3/4 of the way round with the base boards.. just a little more woodwork next week and I should complete the loop...

Temptation got the better of me so I dug out the bags of Track and began to lay a few pieces... I have gone for the 3mm Closed cell foam in the end for underlay. Was quite cheap for a 10 mtr x 1.5 mtr roll.. PVA to board and then PVA to track to hold its place..

I have made the mods to the Electrfrog points and will progress those in time.. Droppers to each piece of track for the DCC Supply.. After each piece is layed I complete and IR test / continuity test to ensure its all connected and there are no dead spots etc..

Still haven't made up my mind yet on the controller... though right now I'm heading more and more towards the Lenz 100 Unit.. Had a look at quite a few on display at my local dealer and liked that one the most.. Though I'm still not 100% just yet...

Point Control has been a bit of a thought of late.. I'm going with 12V DC via a mimic board.. ( so only the Trains will be DCC).. and I had decided to take the plunge and use the Cobalt Motors throughout.. So when getting a few bits at the dealers I thought I'll get one and then can make templates etc for fitting.. The Dealer whom is well known and in most of the magazines etc.. Said they had stopped stocking them now as they were having too many returns due to failures etc.. So they recommended the Tortoise one instead.. Anybody else out there got any thoughts on that..:??? I still prefer the Cobalt one as its smaller and easier to wire with the push clamp terminals..

So need to back that claim up before I go one way or the other..??

Just a couple of pics to show progress.. and getting a few sizes and positions..

By Accident something came adrift in the signal box... so after sliding the roof off I can get in again.. I'm going to ad some more detailing to the inside and tone down the strip lighting as it can be a bit bright..! :D
I Only do Big Engines.....

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:01 pm

Some great progress since I last saw your layout

Keep up the good work
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:22 pm

Excellent buildings, unique and to be proud of. And SNAP! I have the Red Arrows boxvan too! :)
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!
My OO work in progress: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36766

Boatboy1977

Postby Boatboy1977 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:01 am

Ah yes the Red Arrows van... Came from my Class 58 Set from many years ago... ! Think I might still have the Mcviteas Van kicking around too... It fouls the points with the big plastic wheels but might stick some metal ones in.... :D

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:42 am

I put mine on metal wheels for that very reason! Think it cost me the princely sum of £1.50 from the Railway fair at Lincoln early in the year... :)
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!

Boatboy1977

Postby Boatboy1977 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:32 pm

Well it been a few weeks.. so progress has been made..

The base boards are now all complete.. just a couple of sections of raised track base left to organize...

Tracklaying has been laid and is now about 60% Complete.. although I'll not be ballasting until i have had a full run round the layout...

I have been wiring as I go along and making the componants for the DCC Bus system.

The Main Bus consists of a twin 14 AWG Cable which is a communications cable I got hold of. Its a low loss and designed for data transfer with power so exactly what I was looking for the DCC.

With Drppoers soldered to each piece of track these are then fed into a PCB Terminal block for distribution and are spaced about every 60 cm...

The Points each have their own Juncion block with the Green wire used for the Frog Polarity.

Also I have finished building my Power supply for the Ancillary's.. Whilst Running is DCC.. the 12V DC Supplu with power the Tortoise motors and all the LED Lighting and Point Control..
Its a regulated supply and max output is 10 Amps so more than enough to power the whole layout...

Also made a start on the platforms and positioning for building etc.. just get a rough place etc...
I was going to use the ratio platforms but in the end I'm going to scratch build the lot... so gives me something to play with before I commit to a particular building method..

And finally just working on positions for the smal TMD I'll incorporate....

poindexter

Postby poindexter » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:15 pm

Some fantastic pics of some great progress. The raised section is very neat and will look great with the scenics added.

Guy
My unprototypical, learning curve, playfest:

Stockton Road TMD

Millfield. Helix building

Boatboy1977

Postby Boatboy1977 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks Guy.

Few more things to get sorted, mainly the last of the track work or at least so I have the full two lines all the way round.. Then The TMD can be slotted in at a later stage...

Also the straight section that is between my inclined/raised curves will be a bridge over some low lying river etc.... so there is that to put my mind into..

Having now been recalled to work I'll not be back home or on the project till early October.. but it give me plenty of design time whilst away... :D

Dunc

Boatboy1977

Postby Boatboy1977 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:21 am

Hi All!

Well back from two months at Sea and Pennies in the bank so I can continue with the build. :D

So I haven't quite made the complete loop yet so this will be the main project for this time home. only 6 or so lengths of flexi to lay.

Now I have decided to start on my bridge as this is a key part of the layout but also I need to get it in place so I can reference and position the last section of track to complete the loop.
I have decided on a Crescent girder bridge with two short plate bridges ( Wills Kits with a bit of Bashing) either side. The Crescent Bridge is loosely based on the Road Bridge at Peterborough.

So whilst away at sea I sketched out a few dimensions and The produced a plan. Sent this off to York Modelmakers ( whom cut my Station building shell). and the laser cut it out of 1.5mm Rowmark Plastic.

So the image above shows the Laser cut sides and also some detailed Support pieces which the bridge will rest on. The track bed is a section of 3.2mm ABS Plastic which will be supported with I-Beam girders. The Part can the all be glued and Plastic welded together.

Above shows the sides taking shape. The flat Laser cut sides have been filled with 0.5 x 3.5 mm Styrene Strip from Raboesch ( they produce strip in 1000mm lengths so easier and more economical then Evergreen / Plastruct for this part of the build.

I have built a Center reinforcing girder which is from Styrene Strip and Sheet. The top being taken from the wills girder bridge and Adjusted to suit.

Today will see the construction of a wooden jig to allow me to work on it upside down and hopefully work on the bridge supports ( miserable outside so better to stay in!!)

Dunc

Sides are now complete and fitted in place to the ABS Trackbed. The Code 100 Flexi has been stuck down with Impact Adhesive.

Richey1977

Postby Richey1977 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:19 am

This looks amazing. Well done. I'm going to be a bit nervous sharing my progress now....

On the plus side, it looks like 1977 was a good year for railway modellers.

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:51 am

That bridge is looking great already, can't wait to see it finished!

Boatboy1977

Postby Boatboy1977 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:33 pm

So another day on the workbench... :D

Thanks for the comments and ideas Guys.. it always helps to throw an idea of something that could easily be added now before it get painted etc.. :D

I have added the support for the bridge structure, have yet to decide on how it will actually sit and then build stone work blocks for it to rest on.

And now a bit of detailing.. Added a barrow crossing for maintenance, ( Wills Kit), and then a set of boards to run the length for work staff to get across the bridge.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z46 ... ridge7.jpg

On the other side is a set of concrete type cable trays for the usual comms and lineside cable etc..
I'm going to look at using the the spare from my knightwing Pipe set to run across the bridge as well.. seem to find them on many bridges but not made up my mind just yet...

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:54 pm

This is the first time I've checked on your thread for a while and have to say it's all coming along promisingly and to impressive standard too.

The bridge looks great, especially the view from underneath.
Last edited by SouthernBoy on Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:18 am

Ten out of Ten for that bridge!! A superbly well engineered piece of kit, love it!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:52 am

If 121modeller sees that bridge he'll be packing away his evergreen strip and taking up knitting lol

Very nice work there
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”