PeterH's Great Central themed layout. A REAL update! P.6

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
kennyGWSR

Re: PeterH's Great Central themed layout.

Postby kennyGWSR » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:17 pm

Glad to hear you bought an 8K Peter :) will look forward to seeing piccys of it!
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi Peter, I've just caught up on this one and it's good to see some developments. I did think when Bachmann launched those building packs, that they looked rather good and was interested to see someone put them into their model railway. Pricey they may be, but they look like good quality, and it has saved you a huge amount of time in scratch-building.

I shall be looking forward to seeing how this one develops!

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:47 pm

Had the 8K running on the club test track - tis a beauty that loco. Had no problems with 28 wagons behind her - and considering the low-speed, tight uphill curve, that is not bad going really. There should be a few photos of Thursday night of it running. If my Sunday remains relatively empty, I may be in a position to do something - what I don't yet know!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:24 pm

Two photos of my GCR 8k...

More photos to be found here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30928&start=15
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:26 pm

Love the Great Central locos in green and that 8K is fantastic, wish i had one :P

WIll have to keep and eye on this layout, it sounds like its going to be great :mrgreen:

Alex.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

bocaj

Postby bocaj » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:30 am

Everything is looking good Peter, your 8K looks fantastic. I wish I made as mutch progress on my layout as you!

Jacob :D

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:03 pm

looks very nice peter, a nice addition to your layout.

DonB

Postby DonB » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:03 am

I can't believe that I've only just found this thread... :roll:

It's good to find yet another fellow GC modeller! :D

The Bachmann buildings are certainly a welcome addition to the modellers' RTP arsenal; albeit rather expensive.
I see that your Booking Office and Canopy seems to be perfect; I had serious issues with warped canopies on mine, and as such, I returned and exchanged no less than 8 different examples before I finally found one that was O.K..
One tip: If you are going to fit interior lights to them, you will need to paint the interior with an opaque colour, as the light bleed is horrific.

Your 8K and D11 look fantastic...
I shall certainly be watching developments - One can never have too many GC-themed layouts!

Cheers,

Don
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks for your reply. I did seem quite lucky in the fact that all the buildings seemed to be alright. Your advice about the fitting of interior lights is noted, and will come in useful!

No progress unfortunately, I started a new job in January, and since then I just haven't had the time to work on the layout. This long weekend should see room-preparations taking place ahead of building the baseboards and installing them. Or so I hope!

Loco fleet has expanded, with the purchase of an LNER Black N2 and B1 from Hornby, 6x Gresley Teak Suburbans and a GWR Bulldog 4-4-0, 'Seagull'.

GCR all the way, an excellent line to model methinks! The other station will hopefully end up looking Met Line/GCR based north of Rickmansworth style.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Nice layout and collection of locos, I particularly like the More ornate early liveries.
I think that you may have a bird class rather than a Bulldog. I was in a similar situation and bought what I thought was a bulldog only to find it was a bird class, I guess the name is a clue.
OliverSR

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:25 pm

That 8K's a lovely looking loco!
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!
My OO work in progress: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36766

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:46 pm

OliverSR wrote:Nice layout and collection of locos, I particularly like the More ornate early liveries.
I think that you may have a bird class rather than a Bulldog. I was in a similar situation and bought what I thought was a bulldog only to find it was a bird class, I guess the name is a clue.
OliverSR

The Bird Class was so similar to the Bulldogs that they are nearly the same class.
This is a really interesting website explaining the GWR outside frames 4-4-0s http://www.gwr.org.uk/no440s.html
Bird ClassThis was to all intents and purposes a last batch of 15 Bulldogs built in 1909 with deeper and stronger frames, although they did revert to screw reverse. They were numbered 3731-3745 and renumbered 3441-3455. For most purposes they were considered part of the Bulldog class, changes and modifications were on the same lines, and no separate diagrams were issued after about the 1920s. All survived to British Railways, none were converted to Dukedogs, and the last few were withdrawn in 1951.

Not sure what the kit is, but is runs silky smooth, and the paint job on it is excellent. The only thing it lacks is tension-lock couplings. It will be a bit of a head-scratcher to work out how to fit some on!

Thanks for all the kind comments, I do like the more elaborate liveries, hence why I buy them!
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue May 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Photos of the new Bulldog.

The layout is in a position to be started, but due to work I have not had the time to do anything.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Fri May 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Nice I take it, that its a K's kit... looks it..I know how you feel work is getting in the way of starting layouts, everytime i have free time it tends to rain... then i cant do anything. :evil:

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Mon May 28, 2012 9:24 pm

I made a start to the baseboard for the GCR Station. Just cut the board in half and made a start to the frame. I hope to get these two boards made by the end of the week.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”