PeterH's Great Central themed layout. A REAL update! P.6

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: PeterH's Great Central themed layout.

Postby Dad-1 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:08 pm

Hi Peter,

Shouldn't you have said the end of A week ??? Or are things moving faster now ?

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue May 29, 2012 7:55 am

Well, there isn't much to do for this baseboard, so if I do a little each night this week I should get there!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:05 am

The baseboard is getting there, I should hopefully get them finished tomorrow - I have a whole day in which to do so!

I went to Railfest yesterday and met my cousin up there. He has kindly been finishing my model of an LNWR Improved Precedent, 790 'Hardwicke'. Below are a selection of photos from a running/test session at the club. The rest of the photos can be seen here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30928&start=15#p473552

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:06 am

A coaling up day today. Now all three of the Butler Pendon wagons are coaled and one of three NRM wagons I got at Railfest; all of which have been weathered. My GCR 8K has also been coaled, although I'm nit entirely happy with it at the moment. White patches of glue are still showing. If there is no improvement I'll paint the coal black... if that looks naff I'll just put another thin layer of coal on top of that.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:09 pm

New loco...

And just for silliness and an experiment, what 4472 may have looked like at the Wembley Empire Exhibition.

Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:46 pm

Great progress Peter on the layout your cousin did a great job on the paint job
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:32 pm

A quick update. Due to my uncertain future, I have not proceeded with the layout. It may come back once I know what I will be doing in the immediate future, but for now I'll leave it as it is. I'll probably be getting rid of the big green board I have had my previous layouts on, and have a thin strip of polystyrene shelving to support the layout. It will still have the GCR station and probably some other structures.

For now, I have been doing some work on my LNER Buffet Car. I have wanted to paint the interior for some time, but have only just got around to do it. It will need populating next. I think you'll agree it is a vast improvement on the plain dark blue.

Unfortunately the photos bring out all of the mistakes, but these are not noticable to the naked eye, and will be invisible when the interior is inside the shell.

Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi Peter,

Looks good to me, as you say when inside the carriage any minor faults will be well hidden.
Populating is probably more of a problem, good figures cost money and I think figures in
window seats can be seen clearly enough, I suppose inside seats can have blobby figures
as they're mostly just seen in outline.

Is that 'problem' work related ? sounds ominious.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:33 pm

I've got a few of those football-game figures (Subootio?), although I will repaint some of them. I think too many of them will look obvious! Still, I've got 10 teaks to spread them about in! I'll get a few more figures to pop in as well.

Excellent guess, the problem is indeed work related. Redundancy at the beginning of September. I do have an interview at York NRM for an apprenticeship as a General Engineer, the interview is next Thursday. If I do get it, I'll be moving to York for at least a year. Until I know what is happening, I don't want to start anything.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:53 pm

And a few photos of what 1475 'Flying Fox' looks like now. It still needs a bit of work, but looks grand nevertheless.

Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:58 am

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear that. I recall that when I was made redundant ( a couple of times or more) I was unable to settle and concentrate on modelling. I had initially though it was a chance for quality time, but It disturbs your world so much it dosen't work out that way.
I wish you luck with the NRM, but go for anything you can do. I've had a few crap jobs, but it's always easier to get a job when you already have one. Many employers have an ingrained suspicion of the unemployed.

Geoff T.

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:25 am

Dad-1 wrote:Hi Peter,
I've had a few crap jobs, but it's always easier to get a job when you already have one. Many employers have an ingrained suspicion of the unemployed.

Geoff T.

It also shows an employer you have a good work ethic and that you are prepared to work outside you "comfort" zone
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:36 am

Yes, I think depending on whether or not I am successful on Thursday; any old job will do. I was really aiming for a career job but beggars can't be choosers!

Anywho, moving on I am rather tempted by the OO Works newest model, the LNER C13. Perfect for a GCR and Met. Line layout! Just a shame they are not doing one in GCR or LNER lined colours. They are doing a plain black version - how hard could it be to change it to LNER lined black?!?
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:06 am

Hi Peter,

Depends on either how steady your hand is and if you have a lining pen. A couple of years back I watched a lady at Warley doing lining
and given the right equipment a methodical approach with a steady hand it seemed easy enough ....... But I'd be chicken !!
The other alternative is finding suitable decals to lay down, there must be suitable lining, but getting the correct shaped sections is
a different matter.

Geoff T.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:38 am

It doesn't look too difficult, only the tank sides, coal bunker and boiler lining. The tank and coal bunker are just boxes, so nothing difficult there! I'd probably use transfers.

I've got to do a bit of research into it, but apart from the standard red lining used by the LNER, it does appear to have spent some time in the GCR lined black (as per my 8k). As I said, I'll double check in my green book to see if this was the case.

It might be the case that OO Works would be willing to line one to your specification, for a small fee...
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”