PeterH's Great Central themed layout. A REAL update! P.6

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
End2end

Re: PeterH's Great Central themed layout.

Postby End2end » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:53 pm

And i'll post you a large pot of elbow grease to get you started :D :D

Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:21 pm

I did promise an update today and I will stick to my word! I have fitted half of the stabilisers to the corner boards, the other ones will be fitted later tonight. As the glue takes a few hours to dry that'll probably be it for today. As I don't have a drill I can't get Black Stitchel baseboard up until my Dad returns with all of the tools on Thursday.

I've also ordered some leg adjusters. All of the bits needed to assemble the Black Stitchel board are now upstairs so as soon as the bits I need arrive I can get that assembled and half of the layout is ready.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:08 pm

The passengers are starting to gather - they'll be glad to know that action is being taken to alleviate their delay!

They are from Detailed Miniatures who can be found on ebay. The quality is excellent and I think I'll use them to populate quite a bit of the layout. I am also after a model charabanc but cannot find any for sale. Please let me know if you have one or know of where I can lay my hands on one!

Photos of the layout when it looks more substantial! The work I have been doing is highly important but isn't exactly exciting photographically!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:19 pm

I hope everyone is sitting down - get ready for a shock....

I've actually made some sort of progress on the layout!

The boards which will make up the station Black Stitchel are up and fixed! They are removable sections, as you can see from the photographs it lays directly about my bed. Damage will probably be caused to both the layout and I if it was fixed there permanently!

I've also decided that Black Stitcel will be a Metropolitan Line station, with the original diamond signs. There will be four lines through the station with three of them having platforms. The buildings will probably be similar to those at Chorleywood station - depending on what suitable kits there are.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Re: PeterH's Great Central themed layout. A REAL update! P.6

Postby PeterH » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:27 pm

A trackplan of what the above will become...
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:59 pm

Laid the first bits of track today. The first set of curves are in - super-elevation and all!

Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:29 pm

Hi Peter,

Did you ever find a model of a charabanc? If you ever come across a model of a WW1 lorry you can use that as a basis for many of these were rebuilt as charabanc's and buses after the war. None survive in these formats now as far as I know but there is a brave/mad group resurecting from surviving fragments some of these vehicles;

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.ph ... truck-find

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.ph ... 63cb344720

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:02 pm

I think that you could probably scratch build one using a Merit [now Peco ?] Thorneycroft lorry as a basis.

Here's one : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Merit-HO-OO-A ... 486fe6bf6f

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:12 pm

I didn't manage to find a kit unfortunately. It will have to be an adapted model affair. The Oxford Diecast open-top double decker is what I have considered for a basis, although I will consider the other suggestions.

Back to the railway, I've ordered some more points for the station, a set of medium for Black Stitchel and express for Linden Lea.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:28 am

Oh cruel fate! I saw an advertisement in a model railway magazine for a 00 gauge charabanc. It wasn't until I was having my breakfast this morning that I realised it was a dream!
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:38 pm

How time flies! Has it really been over a year since my last update? Slowly getting on with it. I've not quite got a full circuit yet, but I certainly intend to soon! I've ordered some telescopic trestle legs for the second station scene, just then need to get the final removable corners done and we are all the way around!

Today I've been experimenting with the tunnel smoke effect. This is a test set up to see what it'll be like. Quite successful I think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7loEXAsRSz0
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:45 pm

Found it relatively quickly. Went straight to page 5 and there is was!
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:23 pm

Only page 5 ....... Things must have slowed down !!
Yes, the smoke works fine, better than a burning motor, or cooked decoder.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:44 pm

Well, it has been a very long time since I last posted here. I have now got a full circuit of boards up, with track now being lain as well. Probably about 60% of the track is now down - then the fun of wiring it all up... Below are photos showing the current situation of things.

These photos are a little out of date, there is more track down than shown.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:49 am

Love the long rake across the 2 doors :D
That looks a nifty Control panel box, can I ask where you got it from and the dimensions please?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”