Loftfordshire³ ADVICE NEEDED

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
MrH

Re: Loftfordshire³

Postby MrH » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:55 pm

Blackstar yum, what do you plug into it?
My layouts

Trucks in a Tizzy - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48086

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:56 pm

Be great connected to a sound chip programmed for a '37. With the knob round at 11 of course :evil:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:11 am

Bufferstop wrote:Be great connected to a sound chip programmed for a '37. With the knob round at 11 of course :evil:

Or a nice Valenta HST soundchip :)
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:16 am

kennyGWSR wrote:I have to say that ballasting is epic! Great work!! Does that B1 have the new dcc ready chassis?

cheers, and although I've not dismantled it yet the box says so, hattons says so and the bachmann website says so, so I hope it does otherwise I'll be very annoyed ;(

MrH wrote:Blackstar yum, what do you plug into it?

ESP EC-1000 =D

Bufferstop wrote:Be great connected to a sound chip programmed for a '37. With the knob round at 11 of course :evil:

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:Or a nice Valenta HST soundchip :)

I would argue back with some sort of steam loco sound, but all the sound chips I've seen examples of have seemed pretty terrible tbh, although I will add I'm yet to hear one in real life (only stuff on youtube)

Some progress photos I forgot to upload, I've progressed past this stage now too, stock and track weathering

and one of my many modification projects I'll never finish =[

Tiddles

Postby Tiddles » Tue May 15, 2012 11:28 pm

Looking good.

Just seen your posts on Facebook.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”

Michaelaface

Re: Loftfordshire³ ADVICE NEEDED

Postby Michaelaface » Wed May 23, 2012 3:48 pm

Advice needed!

so today is my birthday and my girlfriend surprised me by buying me a bachmann 3F (tender) I also have the day off work, so I though well this is the perfect time to give it a run!

now its been a while since I've been in the loft during the day, especially when its sunny, and I'd forgotten how hot it gets (you can probably tell where this is leading)

but basically the problem I had feared the most has happened, although only minor (atm anyway) my track is showing signs of warping, the other issue is that on days like today the heat of my loft is unbearable, I was in there for less than ten mins and I'm soaked with sweat

the only solutions I can think for this problem would be;
1) rebuild the layout in modular form (costly)
2) rebuild the layout in another location (practically impossible)
3) hope it doesn't be come a serious issue and carry on

atm 1 is looking like the best option as it means I'd be able to work on sections of the layout with out having to actually be in the loft, but is it all worth it?

are there any other options that I've missed?

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Has your loft got any sort of heat control in it? The foil insulation helps keep the temperature more managable. Simple solution such as an electric fan running on a timer during the hottest part of the day can help.. I used to have the same problem but the foil insulation has balanced the temperature quite nicely year round now...
Jas... :D

manna

Postby manna » Thu May 24, 2012 3:14 am

G'Day Gents

There's a couple of things you can do, you can fit a extractor fan, to suck out the hot air, or a passive vent which will do the same thing, stops the heat building up.

On you railway, you can do as we do here in Oz, cut your rails into 60' lengths, allows more room for expansion, or you can, where there is a fishplate that you can slide back, cut an extra mil or two off the rail, then slide the fishplate back again, that will also get you a nice clickty clack, as your stock passes over it. :D

Or if you've got plenty of Money, install an Air Conditioner :twisted:

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:05 am

This was an issue that used to hinder progress of my own layout, as well as PedanticMongrels. In the end we went for different approaches. I took mine up, converted to 0 gauge and built a garden layout,

Pedantic also sold up and went into 0 but kept his layout in the loft. He and I spent a lot of time putting in insulation. Whilst it was hot, heavy and very itchy work, in the end it has kept the temperature pretty constant throughout the year, and was probably one of the best decisions made.

jon_c

Postby jon_c » Sat May 26, 2012 2:29 pm

Option 4: Get two Velux windows installed. I did that in my loft and it transformed the room. On a day like today I have both windows slightly open letting a cool breeze through the area. Cost me £1000 all in.

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Sat May 26, 2012 9:59 pm

tractor37 wrote:Has your loft got any sort of heat control in it? The foil insulation helps keep the temperature more managable. Simple solution such as an electric fan running on a timer during the hottest part of the day can help.. I used to have the same problem but the foil insulation has balanced the temperature quite nicely year round now...
Jas... :D

had a fan on up there all day, all it did was blow the hot air about =/

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

There's a couple of things you can do, you can fit a extractor fan, to suck out the hot air, or a passive vent which will do the same thing, stops the heat building up.

On you railway, you can do as we do here in Oz, cut your rails into 60' lengths, allows more room for expansion, or you can, where there is a fishplate that you can slide back, cut an extra mil or two off the rail, then slide the fishplate back again, that will also get you a nice clickty clack, as your stock passes over it. :D

Or if you've got plenty of Money, install an Air Conditioner :twisted:

manna

I have no money =D and cutting the rails to allow for expansion seems to be the best idea here thank you

tom92240 wrote:This was an issue that used to hinder progress of my own layout, as well as PedanticMongrels. In the end we went for different approaches. I took mine up, converted to 0 gauge and built a garden layout,

Pedantic also sold up and went into 0 but kept his layout in the loft. He and I spent a lot of time putting in insulation. Whilst it was hot, heavy and very itchy work, in the end it has kept the temperature pretty constant throughout the year, and was probably one of the best decisions made.

hmm yeah that's very plausible and I'm sure my parents want to do that up there anyway, would mean starting my layout again though

jon_c wrote:Option 4: Get two Velux windows installed. I did that in my loft and it transformed the room. On a day like today I have both windows slightly open letting a cool breeze through the area. Cost me £1000 all in.

yeah that £1000 price tag was the reason I didn't bother including this ;)

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Tue May 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Michaelaface wrote:
tom92240 wrote:This was an issue that used to hinder progress of my own layout, as well as PedanticMongrels. In the end we went for different approaches. I took mine up, converted to 0 gauge and built a garden layout,

hmm yeah that's very plausible and I'm sure my parents want to do that up there anyway, would mean starting my layout again though

It ended up being the cheapest option in the end. We kept the layout in place as well and just filled the holes round it. Hard work but it was worth it in the end.

james2k

Postby james2k » Tue May 29, 2012 5:38 pm

Would it be wise to take the screws out when your weathering? or are they there for a reason? :?:

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Tue May 29, 2012 11:31 pm

james2k wrote:Would it be wise to take the screws out when your weathering? or are they there for a reason? :?:

trackwork is completed the screws have been gone for months

james2k

Postby james2k » Wed May 30, 2012 1:13 pm

Michaelaface wrote:
james2k wrote:Would it be wise to take the screws out when your weathering? or are they there for a reason? :?:

trackwork is completed the screws have been gone for months

Apologies... I saw the last pick of your track and it had screws in it... When I looked at the date it was from march lol. Still looks better than mine.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”