Loftfordshire³ ADVICE NEEDED

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Michaelaface

Re: Loftfordshire³

Postby Michaelaface » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:40 pm

better ;(

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Great work so far, Michaela, will be watching this one develop very closely. =)
You really seem to know what you're doing there. The plan looks really good, with nice running length, good operation ability, and the potential for scenery... it's going to look amazing, I'm sure.

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:22 am

hey michaela, seems like my viable option at the moment for a baseboard and frame is the ghastly paste table of argos which is going to doom the layout from the start, i'm going to make a small layout with factory buildings on and see how it goes and set the trainset loop up on two single beds pushed together, and that'll have to do til i can actually get some frames, seeings as i can't get to and from the frames i was offered, so hopefully all goes well (although not by the looks of most of the reviews on the argos.ie site. i will have to set up and examine the table for myself and at least i can return it if i need to, and maybe be able to expand the layout with another paste table at an L shape angle in future, its a shame cork tiles cost as much as the bloody table for one pack!

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:31 am

Is this the one?
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store ... ASTE+TABLE

If it is then I think with a more sturdy top and some improved hinges it might be doable.
You might also want to beef up the legs a little and add some kind of centre support
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:35 pm

The very same but was 13 euros and 49 cent, its got a few marks from the trip home and the frame work needs a little sanding, trying to figure out what to do about legs in future, and about alignment, but i have no tools or skills so it will be harder, most of the reviews are written by appauld customers but are really funny. I intend to use card buildings most of the time and want to avoid putting pressure on the table, it needs some wood, glued underneath to stop it warping, might be able to do that witha cheap saw and some cheap sand paper from tesco if they still do it. I have some strong glue left from when i did the free metcalfe kit, its not wood glue but it might hold, the top is a little thin and looks like it will soak up anything, its likely i will get some cork tiles and layer over it just incase, i'm a little worried about drilling any holes for wires as its only stapled in at the sides, might have to measure the frame thickness and get some nails and hammer them in in strategic places to make sure it works, however atm its just sitting in the railway room with all the other bagged up stuff waiting to be moved to the other side of town on foot, tonights main load is the railway magazines and some other stuff thats just packed in around them, just hope the suitcase i have will hold them all, had to split them into two lots and put one in a different case as it was far too heavy (As i found out...my poor toes! :( ) Problem is that my case has mammoth tape all over the underside which grinds along the floor thanks to the bad wheel design, the tape is to cover the holes which were torn in the case on the way to the ferry terminal in dublin when we had to walk from busaras bus station to the North Wall Irish Ferries Terminal.

Wish me luck, we got the keys today, and found that the windows in the master bedroom and ensuite are jammed a crack open and don't close properly and at somepoint a bird had got in and sh*t on the windowsil, and theres loads of spiders to kill and stuff, must go as the GF wants my help (now that i am on the laptop and she's the one doing the work :P lol well not really, its just that i seem to have written an essay by mistake ;) )

Alex 8)

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Been looking at the layout. Would probably need a little more information about the lines and the direction they're going to be used before putting in Signals and trap points etc. Assuming they'll all be bi-directional?

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:47 am

damn hi-jackers!

and yeah I guess they would be bi-directional, in the sense that both tracks would be needed to form a loop for shunting into the bay platform and the sidings, I've been told that there is no need for a trap point on my layout as the headshunts serve this purpose

Stevefay

Postby Stevefay » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:50 pm

I like the track work, using C & L or any other fine scale track makes a world of difference.
Will watch with interest.
Cymru am Byth
Ranelagh Bridge west London Stabling Point in 7mm 1956/64

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:01 am

Hi. Just curious as to why you are using such a mixture of track? Settrack and C and L don't sound like a particularly happy match!
Regardless, your track work does have a wonderful prototypical 'flow' to it, Well done.
Regards,
Lee.
Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/br_blue/

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:38 am

Michaelaface wrote:damn hi-jackers!

and yeah I guess they would be bi-directional, in the sense that both tracks would be needed to form a loop for shunting into the bay platform and the sidings, I've been told that there is no need for a trap point on my layout as the headshunts serve this purpose

Are they bi-directional for passenger trains though? If so then I would strongly advise moving the point work located in the middle of the station to avoid having 4 different running shunt signals. Though it is do-able with them there, it just means the poor S&T department would have a lot of head scratching to do to interlock them in (if the railway were real! :P)

Anyway, heres what we have so far. The yard with the sheds in it need not be signalled, only on entrance and exit to the mainline, thus the diagram shows all the points "solid" meaning their hand operated. I haven't included distant signals, you may want to put them in a scale half mile from the signals giving entrance to the station if you wish. If you do, then they need to mirror the type of brackets I have placed on the diagram. You could, of course sacrifice the extra arms for a route indicator.
Attachments
sig.tiff
sig.tiff (35.74 KiB) Viewed 4586 times

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:20 pm

tom92240 wrote:
Michaelaface wrote:damn hi-jackers!

Are they bi-directional for passenger trains though? If so then I would strongly advise moving the point work located in the middle of the station to avoid having 4 different running shunt signals. Though it is do-able with them there, it just means the poor S&T department would have a lot of head scratching to do to interlock them in (if the railway were real! :P)

Anyway, heres what we have so far. The yard with the sheds in it need not be signalled, only on entrance and exit to the mainline, thus the diagram shows all the points "solid" meaning their hand operated. I haven't included distant signals, you may want to put them in a scale half mile from the signals giving entrance to the station if you wish. If you do, then they need to mirror the type of brackets I have placed on the diagram. You could, of course sacrifice the extra arms for a route indicator.

picture isn't loading on my pc?
and no they wouldn't be bi directional for passenger trains then?
my track plan is pretty much based on this layout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn1qaFEpSzU

n2oo wrote:Hi. Just curious as to why you are using such a mixture of track? Settrack and C and L don't sound like a particularly happy match!
Regardless, your track work does have a wonderful prototypical 'flow' to it, Well done.
Regards,
Lee.

mixture because I already had it and it saves money, setrack is only for the fiddle yard though, which seemed logical as I want straight consistent track there and for stock to be placed easily on the rails. I've used peco dual gauge fishplates and I've had no problems with locos on the change from code 75 to code 100, the peco code 75 points are because I currently don't posses the skills to build my own finescale points and you can't buy them pre-made

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi. Thanks for that. You can actually buy finescale points ready constructed, there are numerous companies, Marcway being one. They are quite expensive to purchase though.
I have used a combination of Exactoscale plain flexi track, and Peco code 75 points on my layout. I too don't posess the skill or time to build my own, I did give it a go though!

Cheers,

Lee.
Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:46 pm

oh? I thought it was just kits and the individual components that they sold? didn't know you could get them ready made?
hmm will consider this for the future
another point I had forgotten to add is I have no software that allows me to make plans that incorporate the dimensions of finescale points (could be lying here, I think you can in Xtrkcad but I'm pretty sure that they had no 00finescale option when I used it) and paying nearly £50 for templot to design just one layout didn't really seem worth it, considering I could get a loco for that or half the track for my layout

yeah I really would like to build my own points, looks something I'd probably enjoy doing, and probably take years to finish due to lazy

n2oo

Postby n2oo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi.
All of the components can be bought individually or as a kit, or even ready made. The more components you buy ready made, (common crossing, switchblades etc), the more expensive it is. The basic components are not too expensive.
I need a couple of 3' curved turnouts on my layout, so am going to have to bite the bullet and make my own. The templates arrived by post today....they are each about 18" long :shock:
But they look so much more realistic. Did you have a look at my layout?

Cheers,

Lee.
Regards,
Lee.

My Flickr page

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:17 pm

nope, it asked me to register so I've done that, not sure if it worked as the first 5 confirmation codes it asked me to fill in were impossible to read

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”