Loftfordshire³ ADVICE NEEDED

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Michaelaface

Loftfordshire³ ADVICE NEEDED

Postby Michaelaface » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:12 am

Ok so I thought I'd start my thread again because;
1) my account randomly got deactivated when I changed my email on it, so I made a new account (was planning to make a new account anyway)
2) my last thread for this layout went off track a bit and is full of "update posts" that say "updates soon" with no actual updates
3) I really cba looking through the forums to find it now I have a new account and it isn't in my post history

MOVING ON

so yeah here is my layout, the third incarnation of "Loftfordshire" a fictitious location somewhere Lancashire/Yorkshire-ish set in the 1950's.

Layout details;
The track work is a mix of C&L fine-scale OO, Peco code 75 and hornby set-track (only in the fiddle yard)
DCC controlled because DCC, in my mind anyway, is a lot simpler to wire up and a lot easier to control

Buildings
i have quite a few metcalf buildings already built, lots of station building and engine shed stufff
im thinking of getting some hornby and bachmann buildings though because from the pictures on ehattons they acctually look quite good
I'd like to be able to build my own from scratch, dont think i possess the skills for that yet though

Board
Board size = 3.5meters x 1.7 meters and is 6 sheets of plywood, 9mm I think

Plan
I wanted to build something prototypical but I have neither the space nor the skills to achieve this yet, so instead I've based my plan on various layouts I came across trolling about through RMweb
the operation features I wanted to included were;
1) station - that can fit around 5/6 coaches comfortably and have a bay platform (possible terminus for a local branch?)
2) small goods yard with factory/warehouse (similar to a layout of Newhey I found on RMwebs)
3) small engine shed area for housing various shunters and small goods engines (for some sort of larger industrial area near-by?)

so yeah here's my final plan that I settled on (yes that should be a singleslip not a double, but I'm an idiot and ordered the wrong thing)

Progress
I've been building this on and off for a while now depending on when I've had money for things, but I've been waiting until I have the layout at a decent level of construction before posting, so I actually have something Interesting to post and lots of pictures, because everyone loves pictures
I've also been taking this REALLY slowly, and doing everything carefully and checking everything (for once) and so far its turning out great
so the board has been constructed (out of the one used for loftys 1 and 2)
I've finished laying the track and cork underlay
and as of tonight I have the inner loop wired up (so I could run some trains, been too long since I last did this!)
lots more to do though

ANYWAY here's some pictures from tonight of where I'm up to, was going to post some video's too but my camera work is awful and left me feeling rather nauseous

Question time
Signals Can anyone help me with where signals should be placed? as I have no clue which or what should go where
trap points anyone know where, if any, that these would go on my layout?

all other thoughts and comments welcome =]
Last edited by Michaelaface on Wed May 23, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SouthernBoy

Re: Loftfordshire³

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:21 am

I've nothing constructive to say on signals or trap points I'm afraid.

But I will say it's great to see some photos: Your track work flows wonderfully. You've certainly captured that 'prototypical feel' you worked so hard to achieve.

An impressive start :)

Oliver11

Postby Oliver11 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:31 pm

I'm not all that great with layout building, being that im currently building my first. Though you could always do a little research, as easy as typing 'oo gauge layout' into google images and just checking out what comes up. Might help any way.
Looks good so far and the layout plan looks pretty strong. It'll be an interesting one to watch grow :)
Have a look at my site: http://www.blewburtongreen.webs.com

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:55 am

SouthernBoy wrote:I've nothing constructive to say on signals or trap points I'm afraid.

But I will say it's great to see some photos: Your track work flows wonderfully. You've certainly captured that 'prototypical feel' you worked so hard to achieve.

An impressive start :)

thanks! =D

haha I hope so, its taken long enough just to get to this stage!

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:54 pm

I really like how the track flows into the crossings/slip - the three-way point looks good as well - I think you the beginnings of a winner here. I would certainly continue to lay track following your plan - then run a few trains to see if it all works and adjust/re-lay as needed. Once all is working well - then the fun part of scenery - I am also in a similar predicament on my layout re: signals - I am researching track plans and old photos to get a general idea where they should go - part of it also included designating the 'up' and 'down' lines as well.
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:23 am

Eastern wrote:I really like how the track flows into the crossings/slip - the three-way point looks good as well - I think you the beginnings of a winner here. I would certainly continue to lay track following your plan - then run a few trains to see if it all works and adjust/re-lay as needed. Once all is working well - then the fun part of scenery - I am also in a similar predicament on my layout re: signals - I am researching track plans and old photos to get a general idea where they should go - part of it also included designating the 'up' and 'down' lines as well.

I've been doing that and so far so good, spent ages rolling coaches over all the points and curves and making small adjustments here and there and now I've the inner loop wired up it has been subject to many trains (not an excuse for playing with trains honest 8) ) and everything has worked perfectly first time, which caught me by surprise, even all my locos ran fine. I'd had problems with a few on the old versions of lofty but they ran fine on this, still a while off before I'll fix the track permanently though. Yeah I should do that too, but that usually means reading and my concentration usually fails me at this point. Also, our layouts are similar sizes, I think mines a bit longer and yours is a bit wider, but for some reason yours looks considerably larger, just an odd point I've noticed

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:17 pm

Sizewise - East Cheltwell is 12' x 8' comprised of 8 individual 2' x 4' modules - I guess once you start putting scenery down the perspective (and perception of size) will change - also taking pics at track level also gives a different viewpoint. Good to hear the test runs are going well. Nothing worse than painting and ballasting and then discovering a problem. Regarding signals, here is a link from another forum which at first glimpse had some good advice and links.
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:03 pm

i don't even have a layout to do *updates soon* on :P But i will hopefully have one at somepoint in the new year. If we move out to a place with a bigger railway (spare) room than this place then i might be able to make a L-shaped layout that will probably be flat but have plenty of industrial buildings on it, i got a retort house in the post today for the proposed layout in my head :)

Will have to keep my eye on this thread :P

Alex 8)

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:26 pm

Eastern wrote:Sizewise - East Cheltwell is 12' x 8' comprised of 8 individual 2' x 4' modules - I guess once you start putting scenery down the perspective (and perception of size) will change - also taking pics at track level also gives a different viewpoint. Good to hear the test runs are going well. Nothing worse than painting and ballasting and then discovering a problem. Regarding signals, here is a link from another forum which at first glimpse had some good advice and links.

ahhh slightly bigger on both counts then, haha yeah that's what happened on lofty 1 and 2, rushed ahead before making sure everything worked owell =/ and I'll check out that link!

Alexander Court wrote:i don't even have a layout to do *updates soon* on :P But i will hopefully have one at somepoint in the new year. If we move out to a place with a bigger railway (spare) room than this place then i might be able to make a L-shaped layout that will probably be flat but have plenty of industrial buildings on it, i got a retort house in the post today for the proposed layout in my head :)

Will have to keep my eye on this thread :P

Alex 8)

still having trouble getting wood in ireland?

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:09 am

Well the problem i have is that i have found the wood, i just can't do anything with it if i were to buy it as i have none of the skills or tools required to build a baseboard, and i don't know anyone in town who would do it for me, i would like them to quote a price that i could pay them for specific work as the materials are 2 miles away from me and i can't carry them myself all the way back, and then have nowhere to work on them.

I have a little bit of money now, but very little and i doubt i would be able to afford much, but i would hope to afford the boards i want. I'm being ambitious but rubbish, again.

Alex 8)

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:15 am

small update, been working on the fiddle yard and here's a possible arrangement of track and stock

yes I know most of it is hideous, I badly need new coaches and wagons

I also have half the layout wired up now, here's a video of some trains running to test it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QC6ELDD ... e=youtu.be

forest446

Postby forest446 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:16 am

looking good i shall be keeping an eye on this one.
my layout got to the track down and testing stage stayed like that a year (i got distracted playing trains)
changed my mind on some of the bit rearranged an got more track bits to add operational intrest back to testing (honest)
keep us upated on your progress
A railroad engineer must be sure not to loose his train of thought or he might go down the wrong track.

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:21 pm

Looking good Mike :D
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:53 am

who?

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:23 pm

*Looking Good Michaela :D
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”