The Welton Layout - now with the new owner

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
kevin sharpe

Re: The Welton Layout - now with the new owner

Postby kevin sharpe » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:15 pm

Hi Paul
I had the same problem so i moved to N and never regretted doing so mind you it took about a year to get a N gauge eye :D so take a good look round the forum for ideas,also a plus if you want DCC most of the new n is ready to put a chip in and you can get sound as well
Kevin Sharpe

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Jimmy77 wrote:Hi Paul,

Your last layout was fantastic, it had a very realistic look to it. When I was younger I used to run OO stuff, and I remember seeing the N gauge rolling stock and thinking that wasn't for me. Now however the N gauge locos and carriages and wagons are just fantastic. The detailing is very fine, but saying that, the best way to choose in my opinion is to try and get your hands on some locomotives and rolling stock and check up close how good they are. Its all down to personal choice though, i've seen both N gauge and OO gauge layouts on this forum that just make me think wow i want that!

Cheers,

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy. I was just thinking of that, to get my hands on some locomotives & rolling stock to see how good they are. Mind you, I've seen some at a local Modelzone and I did think the quality was excellent, just like the OO ones. Not so keen on the older ones. I've had a look at Bachmann's website and noticed they are releasing rather a lot of new coaches in n gauge, so that would at least allow me some proper passenger trains with bigger station if I was to go for N gauge. Not so many DCC fitted locomotives though! I'm now thinking of going to look at some layouts at some exhibtions and see what I could achieve in a N gauge layout compare to the OO ones.

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:38 pm

whistlehead wrote:If I were you, I'd go with the large n-scale layout, and make a smaller 'shelf' layout in 00 scale so the 00 stock can be run now and then - this could even be kept underneath the N scale layout, out of the way. Unless of course, you have so much 00 scale stock already that you don't want to go to the trouble of re-starting a collection.

Chris

Even if I do go for N gauge, there's no way I would sell my OO collection. I will still keep them, cos I've always wanted a large OO layout, I just dont have that space here, so I will keep them until I have a space to create a large layout like my old one, Welton.

That's an idea, to have a small shelf layout in OO scale. I was also thinking, if I do go for N gauge, I would get those display cabinets to go on the wall for those OO locomotives & rolling stocks so that its not hidden away.

I already got some LGB locomotives & rollling stocks from years ago when I had a garden railway! So N gauge would be just another collection for me :)

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:47 pm

kevin sharpe wrote:Hi Paul
I had the same problem so i moved to N and never regretted doing so mind you it took about a year to get a N gauge eye :D so take a good look round the forum for ideas,also a plus if you want DCC most of the new n is ready to put a chip in and you can get sound as well
Kevin Sharpe

Thanks Kevin.

I used to have a N gauge layout years ago. In fact my very first proper layout was in n gauge and I must have been about 6-8 years old. Since then I had two more n gauge layouts, but was never always impressed with the details, so I went for OO, then O, then LGB, before returning to OO again recently (Welton). I noticed over the last few years N gauge have improved, with many dcc-ready locomotives, Hornby's Lyddle End buildings, Bachmann's N gauge Scenecraft buildings etc and I could easily make a new N gauge layout looking as realistic as I did with my Welton layout.

Only this time I could actually have a larger engine yard, more longer platforms, etc. So thats the thing about N gauge, I get more than with OO.

So still considering, still looking round for ideas, etc.

CheekyPaul

Re: The Welton Layout - for sale, again!

Postby CheekyPaul » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:27 pm

It's well over a year since I sold this layout to a young chap and it was only today when I found out this layout is up for sale again because the current owner wanted to concentrate on a smaller layout and changing from OO to O gauge.

If you happen to be interested in this layout, have a look at this link:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... -complete/

I can only hope the new owner would get to enjoy it as much as the present owner and I did!

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:33 pm

Wow, I had a lot to catch up on this one, (had only read to pg 14,) shocked to see the biggest part up for sale again, but I hope it makes it's way back to NRM and continues to bring pleasure for many years to come.

CheekyPaul

Re: The Welton Layout - gaining a third owner!

Postby CheekyPaul » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:13 pm

For the second time the layout have been sold.

I've been in touch with the present owner who is sad to see it go, however it seems the third owner is excited about having this layout.

Hopefully the new owner will continue to show it off on this site.....

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”