The Welton Layout - now with the new owner

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
CheekyPaul

Re: Welton Central & West stations: Welton West completed!

Postby CheekyPaul » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:51 am

Kevuk3 wrote:Thanks for that Paul , where did you get your liners from , there seem to be lots of very different finishes but the ones you used are ideal.

Kev

I got mine from a local garden centre. I used to use the ones from B&Q but they turned out to be rubbish in the end, a bit too thin and the colour tend to fade away later on, which meant I've had to replace some liners that faded away on the layout.

The important thing is to get a liner that looks thick, so that its easy to trim them to the height you want it to be etc

Kevuk3

Postby Kevuk3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Chhers Paul , realy appreciate the advice.

Kev

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Over the last few days I did some more work on the layout, and have managed to finish the Welton Central platforms.

The other day I showed you some photos of the platforms covered in scalescenes but it wasn't done. Since then I had the platform edges added:

It was then glued down to the actual platforms at Welton Central, following by the two toilet buildings and then the grass on the embankments:

And now with the station buildings loosely placed in its position, as well as the goods shed:

Those with good eyes for details will noticed I've not covered up one small ramp on one of the platforms in the above photos - I had forgot about it when I took those photos, and it has since been sorted.

I need to add some vegetations on the embankments then the Welton Central will be done!

CheekyPaul

Re: Welton Central & West stations: Welton Central almost do

Postby CheekyPaul » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:34 pm

Few days ago I was telling you about how the colour of the grass around the river near the engine yard was fading away because I had been using cheap quality liners. I wanted to replace those liners using the same ones I used around Welton West. But first, I had to move all locomotives from the engine yard and they all ended up at Welton Central station:

Let me remind you how bad the colours had faded away:

and this is after I replaced the liners:

I just need to add vegetations then it'll all be done.

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:38 pm

Lets have another look at Welton Central Station with all those locomotives:

Today I've been adding more vegetations on the embankments between the two stations, and they are left overnight to dry before I can even vacuum the layout and then allow the locomotives to return to the engine yard.

Kevuk3

Postby Kevuk3 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:44 pm

Fantastic work , really like how its progressing. Bit worried about the liners seeing how those cheap ones faded , i need to make sure i get good ones as i want to try that effect for my embankments.

Kev

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Kevuk3 wrote:Fantastic work , really like how its progressing. Bit worried about the liners seeing how those cheap ones faded , i need to make sure i get good ones as i want to try that effect for my embankments.

Kev

When I say cheap, just make sure the liners are thick enough, then that should be good enough to last long.

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:46 pm

I've managed to do add more vegetation in the last day and am almost that close to completing the layout.

Here's how the embankments at the back of the layout are looking:

What do you think? I am wondering whether I've done too much with the vegetations or if they looks ok?

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Today I've started adding vegetation between the engine yard and Welton Central but first I had to move the locomotives again so I had the fiddle yard filled up but it didnt have enough space for all locomotives and they took over Welton West station:

CheekyPaul

Re: Welton Central & West stations: Layout almost done!

Postby CheekyPaul » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:43 pm

It was my birthday yesterday, and it has always been a rule that I get to have a day out on my birthdays, for example, last year I went to Didcot Railway Centre, and the year before the York Railway Museum.

As it was raining almost everywhere, I had difficulties with deciding what I should do on my birthday, then I had an idea. I've always wanted to go to The Engine Shed shop in Ford in Sussex and at least it was something to do during a wet weather.

So off I went and had a nice journey to Ford, from Reading, by car, driving through some nice villages etc and getting ideas for the new layout. It took about 90 minutes to get to the shop and once I entered inside, it was worth a trip.

it was a pleasure to see practically everything on display, even items I hadn't thought of or seen before. Of course, there were many OO locomotives on display, and as I had some money for my birthday, I couldnt resist buying something!

I settled for a locomotive I've always liked, the look of it etc, and bought it!

its a Bachmann N Class 31869 BR Black Early Emblem, with DCC on board. Even though all my other locomotives are late crest, I thought I would weather this locomotive so that it looks like its still operating, but coming to an end. I'll do that once I've started the new layout later this year.

Here's two photos of the locomotive on my layout:

CheekyPaul

Re: Welton Central & West stations: New locomotive!

Postby CheekyPaul » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:55 pm

I've been asked few times how big the layout is - I will give the exact measurements very soon, but here is a picture of the layout as a whole just to give you an idea the scale of it (excuse the mess though!):

You can see on the far left, a fiddle yard, and then on the right of the fiddle yard we have the location of Welton West Station. On the top right corner of the layout is the engine yard, and then finally we have Welton Central.

The photo above was a quick one - I'll do a proper one another time. The layout is still going to be put up for sale very soon, probably next week or so, but feel free to get in touch if you're interested.

HARRYMALLARD

Postby HARRYMALLARD » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:38 am

Looks great Paul, the white streaks form the washout plugs looks great. Happy belated birthday too :D
My layouts:

Clicky here --> Image
Gasworks Lane micro layout

lerysc

Postby lerysc » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:21 pm

CheekyPaul wrote:I got mine from a local garden centre. I used to use the ones from B&Q but they turned out to be rubbish in the end, a bit too thin and the colour tend to fade away later on, which meant I've had to replace some liners that faded away on the layout.

The important thing is to get a liner that looks thick, so that its easy to trim them to the height you want it to be etc

I found this literally 2 hours after having popped to b and q and bought one of theirs to try this out. D'oh! Still, at least it was only one!

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:24 am

HARRYMALLARD wrote:Looks great Paul, the white streaks form the washout plugs looks great. Happy belated birthday too :D

Thank you Harry!

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:26 am

lerysc wrote:
CheekyPaul wrote:I got mine from a local garden centre. I used to use the ones from B&Q but they turned out to be rubbish in the end, a bit too thin and the colour tend to fade away later on, which meant I've had to replace some liners that faded away on the layout.

I found this literally 2 hours after having popped to b and q and bought one of theirs to try this out. D'oh! Still, at least it was only one!

You can always try it out yourself and see what happens? Maybe you'll have better luck than me. After all, if it doesnt work, you can easily replace it.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”