The Welton Layout - now with the new owner

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Re: Welton Central & Welton West stations

Postby Durseytu » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:47 pm

Woah I've just come across this one... I'm somewhat miffed I haven't notice this wonderful model until now! After reading this thread from start to end, I must say I was saddened to hear about your father, but he would no doubt be pleased to see you continuing the hobby in his railway room! You seem to take a somewhat refreshingly methodical approach to your model and it's scenery. You don't seem hurried at all in order to get something running, but are calmly working from the tricky bits upwards. I think when a lot of us first build a layout (myself included) you can sometimes ignore more important parts of the model in haste to get the trains running, which only cause problems later on. I shall keep em peeled for updates on this one! :D

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:42 pm

Durseytu wrote:Woah I've just come across this one... I'm somewhat miffed I haven't notice this wonderful model until now! After reading this thread from start to end, I must say I was saddened to hear about your father, but he would no doubt be pleased to see you continuing the hobby in his railway room! You seem to take a somewhat refreshingly methodical approach to your model and it's scenery. You don't seem hurried at all in order to get something running, but are calmly working from the tricky bits upwards. I think when a lot of us first build a layout (myself included) you can sometimes ignore more important parts of the model in haste to get the trains running, which only cause problems later on. I shall keep em peeled for updates on this one! :D

Cheers,

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. You may be miffed you did not notice this model until now, but at least its better to notice it late than never!

You are right in assuming I dont seem hurried at all in order to get something running, this is simply so that I can achieve what I have always want, long-term. I have seen some layouts ending up in the bin because it was not planned in advance and modellers tend to jump ahead just to have trains running, short-term. That I can understand, but in the end you are just going to end up with some problems, long term. By being patient, you will get your achievements in the end that will last for a long time!

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Time for a bit of a update to keep you entertained.... ;)

In my last photo, you can see I had just started to do some ballasting on the river bridge near the engine yard. This was so that it was easier to do it before the two boards went back into its original position in the garage where it would be difficult without having access to all sides of the board to do the job properly, especially as I did not want to bend over constantly to ballast the tracks.

At the moment the two boards are standing in the middle of the room, as you can see below:

Doesn't the photo reminds you of the very first photo, of how the room looked when my dad passed away, full of railway stuff! Like father like son eh? ;)

I decided while the boards were in the middle of the room, with access all round, it was time to do the engine yard too. The engine yard is located at the corner of the layout, and it would prove tricky to do any work in this section when the boards are put back together, and there are certain spots where I would not be able to reach. I don't think I would do a good job if I was forever bending over or having to climb over to reach some spots to ballast or whatever I may need to do.

I wanted the engine yard to be 'dirty' as you expected and as I found out through some experiment with different colour ballasts it would not work if I went for black ballast to create a 'dirty look' so i setted with using grey ballasts and then I would weather it later on, as well as using some of the greenscene texture paint in "yard filth". This is the method I did for the interior ground of the engine shed (as seen in one of the earlier photos).

But first, I had to fill in the gaps between the tracks, and I used foam boards and piece of cardboards to do so. The photo below shows the gaps filled around the locomotive pit at the coaling stage.

And with the coaling stage in its slot:

Then it was a case of doing the same thing around the engine shed, as seen below:

Notice how I made a small gap along round the engine shed (between the white bits and the 'dirty' ground that surrounds the locomotive pit). This allows the engine shed to slot in or taken out if I needed to, but at the same time it will allow me to do some interior details and show you them whenever I'm asked to! You'll see more of this later on! Anyway, the cardboards will be painted etc so you won't see the white bits.

The photos below shows how the engine sheds slots in:

Looking from differnt angle:

The photo below shows how close it looks to be real - I'm sure it will look almost realistic when I've done the rest, ie finishing off the grass, etc:

Then it was time to do some ballasting. I started with the tracks between the engine shed and the river. The photo below shows the ballast in its place.

The ballast may be light grey, but that won't be an issue, because it is going to be weathered anyway, and will look similar to the interior ground of the engine shed as seen in the photo above. To achieve that, I had to fill in the gap between the sleepers with ballast and have it glued in. When dried, its a case of adding the 'yard filth' texture paint, as seen below, showing different stages of creating that 'dirty' effect, then I would weather it later on.

And the result should look like this (prior to being weathered):

I will do the same thing between the rails too so that it blends in instead of sticking out like a sore thumb. The photo below shows how it looks with the texture paint. So now all I need to do is to do the rest of the yard!

A closer shot of the disused line (yet to be weathered etc):

In the photo above, the ballasts that appears much lighter have ony just been added (today) and have not been glued in yet.

An overview of the yard from an angle never to be seen when the boards are returned to its original position when the job is all done:

You can see I've added some texture paint at the bottom of the photo around the pit.

Well, thats how far I've got to today! Will do more over the next few days and hopefully I will be able to put the boards back and then I'll be able to run trains once again!!
Last edited by CheekyPaul on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:52 pm

I have been busy over the last two days doing some painting using the texture paint " filth yard" I mentioned before, and I have managed to do a large area of the engine yard. Still got another half of the yard to do though! See photos below, taken showing what I've painted, but also showing the tracks betwen the engine sheds and the coaling stage having been ballasted.

That is how the engine yard is looking tonight. Still got more work to do though! The photos were taken quickly, but when the engine yard is all finished, I will take some proper photos with proper lightings so that you can see the yard in details.
Last edited by CheekyPaul on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:38 pm

That trackwork and ballasting looks superb and very realistic. Reminds me a lot of Wansford on the Nene Valley Railway which basically has earth for ballast around the yard. You've done a great job of blending everything in.

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:16 pm

cmeonthemove wrote:That trackwork and ballasting looks superb and very realistic. Reminds me a lot of Wansford on the Nene Valley Railway which basically has earth for ballast around the yard. You've done a great job of blending everything in.

Thank you Chris. I am pleased with how it is turning out, far better than I was expecting it to be!

This morning I've managed to do the rest of the yard and it is looking more real now! I'll let it dry before doing another coat. Never thought it would be so tiring, to paint the whole yard, but its worth it in the end!

I will take some photos as soon as I've done the second coat.

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:35 pm

Well, since the last photo was taken couple of days ago, I've managed to do more work with the yard and have almost finished with painting using texture paint -"Yard Flith". I am now just sorting out little jobs such as adding little walls etc, so that the sooner I finish with the engine yard, the sooner I can get on with the rest of the layout.

Oh, I've not got round to finish off ballasting the track that goes through the coaling stage, so thats something I'm going to do next as well.

I've not got round to weather the yard yet, to make it more 'dirty' ie caused by steam locomotives when standing in the sidings, just like inside the engine sheds, because at the moment the yard is looking a bit too clean and new, but I am pleased with how it turned out! Wasnt expecting it to be that good!

The photos below shows how the yard is looking at the moment. Do excuse some slightly poor quality photos, they were taken with one of my old camera that I grabbed quickly just to take those photos, the main thing is you can see what's what. (I'll use my new camera when the yard is completed).

With the engine sheds and coaling stage in its place to show you the overall image of the yard:

I could not resist seeing how the yard looks with some locomotives:

Hope you like how the yard is turning out so far. Do tell me what you think of it, bearing in mind I've yet to do more details ie weathering, etc.
Last edited by CheekyPaul on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:20 am

so jealous of how this layout is looking, even if it is still early stages

the "yard grime" looks great

auricom

Postby auricom » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:52 am

I absolutely LOVE this layout already. The look and feel that you've created is incredible. Really jealous of how good you have got the ballast to look in the sidings, I agree with Chris (cme) and say it also reminds me of Wansford at NVR. Can't wait to see more.
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:07 am

Michaelaface wrote:so jealous of how this layout is looking, even if it is still early stages

the "yard grime" looks great

Thanks Michael. I'm pleased with how it is looking, considering this is my first proper job with building a layout.

I'm hoping to get round to 'weather' the yard grime sometimes this week and make it a bit more live in. Can't wait to see how it will turn out. Still working on the edges of the yard, ie little walls etc, at the moment.

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:09 am

auricom wrote:I absolutely LOVE this layout already. The look and feel that you've created is incredible. Really jealous of how good you have got the ballast to look in the sidings, I agree with Chris (cme) and say it also reminds me of Wansford at NVR. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks auricom!

I've not been to NVR so its a bit of a surprise to be told my engine yard reminds people of Wansford. I shall have to look into this and see what people are talking about!

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:00 pm

More updates!

Earlier on in my forum, i talked about whether to have a disused line near Welton West, at the curved part of the line towards Welton Central. I toyed with the idea that it could be an old branch line, taking you to another village or two, and that this line has been closed for a while. The line would remain, disused, but the junction itself, where the branch line joins the main line has been removed, thus cutting the line off.

The more I think about it, the more I like it and have decided to go ahead with this idea. However, because the 'disused' line would go straight to the edge of the board, I would need to have something to suggest the line doesn't end there, and that would be to have a tunnel. I was thinking maybe a road bridge over the disused line just before the tunnel mouth to make it a bit more interesting. Maybe a old narrow gauge railway bridge instead of a road bridge. I'll deal with this when I get round to work on this part of the layout.

But for now, I've laid a piece of foam board where the disused line will be. Then, I had a piece of track laid on a piece of cardboard and sprayed in sleeper grime. I will glue this piece onto the foam board when I've put the boards back together so that I can make sure the disused line lines up with the main line, but in the photos below, I've rest it on the foam board to see how it will look.

I may even call this Welton Junction... we'll see!
Last edited by CheekyPaul on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:06 pm

Now back to the engine yard.

I wanted a small wall running along at the back of the yard, with a gate or two, purely to give the feeling of the yard being enclosed and protected from public wandering in but at the same time I had to be aware of of the backdrop. As I haven't decided what I am going to do about the backdrop, I am keeping it simple for the time being and keep it white. (I will be adding backdrops when the boards are all put together again).

I thought of maybe having some metal fencings but then I realised its see-through which means you would be able to see where the backdrop would join the board at the back of the board and I cannot have this so it has to be solid walls. After looking round on the internet to see what kind of wall I could use, bearing in mind I didn't fancy doing some painting. Then I came across Hornby's Skaledale Brick Walling sets and I rather like the look of it, especially as it would work with the engine shed and the coaling stage, both being brick too. I thought maybe have some shrubs between the walls and the backdrop would work too! They had some walls with timber gates so even better. I went and bought some, played around with it to determine on where the wall should be etc. Once decided, I started putting the walls together.

Close shot of the wall:

I used some piece of cardboard, cut in strips, to glue the walls together. You won't see it on the layout because it'll be hidden from viewing:

When it was dried, it was strong enough to stay together prior to being placed on the layout, making it easier to handle. Trouble is, there are tiny gaps between each piece of walls:

I had to fill in the gaps before the walls was glued on the layout, so I used some DAS modelling clay and left it to dry. When dried, it gave an impression the walls were repaired and that worked for me:

But it appears to be a bit too clean for the engine yard, so I had to weather it a bit, using the Carrs Weathering powders:

You can just about see the joints but those walls will be sitting at the back of the layout so you won't really see it!

Now the walls are ready to be fixed down to the layout and the following photos shows how they looks:

With the walls glued down, its now a case of finishing off the yard surface around the walls. More Yard Flith painting etc.

Hope you agree they look good!
Last edited by CheekyPaul on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:11 pm

Impressive work going on here CheekyPaul - and nicely documented too - all quite inspirational.

I think there's great layout in the making here :)

CheekyPaul

Postby CheekyPaul » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:45 pm

SouthernBoy wrote:Impressive work going on here CheekyPaul - and nicely documented too - all quite inspirational.

I think there's great layout in the making here :)

Thank you. I hope my layout continues to inspire not just you but the others too as I proceed with the development of my layout because it should goes to show that if I can do it, being a beginner, then you can do it too! :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”