Braybridge - 5' x 1' - Now up for sale

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Hammy

Re: Winter Project - 5' x 1' - OO gauge - Update

Postby Hammy » Sat May 19, 2012 9:09 pm

this is looking very nice, the outdoors shots are brilliant. the pic of the 108 heading past the 'box onto the bridge could easily be mistaken for a real life picture!

Two Hoots

Postby Two Hoots » Sun May 27, 2012 7:55 pm

WAAHHH!!!! :cry: I WANT A STATIC GRASS THINGAMAJIG!!!

You've done a great job... :D

jamest

Postby jamest » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind comments.

It's been good modeling weather but I've had some decorating to do before I'm allowed back in the garage!

I have managed to get a bit further with the signal box area at the end of the platform. I've added a 'wooden' ramp at the front (might not be the right name for it!) and dirtied it up a bit more. I've also fixed down the hut and relay boxes and added a little weed and bush growth around them.

I've also bought a class 50 off a well known auction site. I've always wanted one and dangerously just missed out on one at a good price (under 50 quid). So the site then taunts me with other prospective 50's and I fell for it and parted with a few more quid for another one! Unfortunately it is one of the earlier 50's made by Hornby with the circuit board problem. It foxed me for a while until I googled it, and it seems to run ok (with lights) with the 'fix' of rotating the chip 180 degrees. It is a lovely model though and has a good range of detail parts to fit.

I've also invested in the new Bachmann timber wagons - they are an ideal use for the siding. I have applied some black paint to the sides of the scenic board and fiddle yards which is slightly visible in the following pictures:

And the spotter pics from the bridge!:

Cheers,
James

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:50 am

Nice additions to the layout James. The timer wagons look the biz !! Will definitely have to get some of them.

Regards
Scott
All Aboooooard !!

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:25 pm

Looking brilliant so far. I might have to invest in some of that grasmaster stuff. The outdoor shots look almost real- natural light really brings the whole thing to life.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

jamest

Postby jamest » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi all,

Been quiet for a while but I had an enjoyable trip to Exeter for their show a few weeks ago. It reinforced the need to dust off my airbrush and 'have a go' at dirtying a few things up. I needed to blacken the track where the locos sit, and I also wanted to spray an earth colour on the undersides of the rolling stock.

I mixed up a thinned batch of humbrol enamel matt black and metallic grey (No.56 I think) for the dark colour and a simple thinned pot of enamel dark earth (No.29). I had a real go at the track and after initially thinking I'd done too much - I stepped back and now I'm happier with it! I used the dark earth to tone it down a bit and then set about some rolling stock.

I decided to follow the principle of applying dirt and then cleaning the stock with thinners and a cotton bud. I started with some coaches and moved on to a Railfreight OCA and van. Once I had practiced a bit, I took a deep breath, and had a bash at the hoover.

One thing that I learnt was that there is no need to panic - even if you leave it a while the paint is workable depending on the amount of thinners used. I have a dirty mug full of brush cleaning thinners and this was used to dip the cotton bud into - dry it slightly and then apply in vertical streaks. I also learnt that the buds can be used for a long time - as they dirty up they behave in different ways and after a while you have a range of buds in various states that you can swap between to get different effects.

With the OCA I cleaned the 'panels' on the side in a rectangular motion before finishing off in a vertical stroke. This left a nice build up of dirt in the edges and crevices.

Anyway - I'm pretty pleased with the results, although the hoover still looks quite clean - the camera is lying a bit there! The one cardinal sin I have committed so far is that I am 'generally' dirtying things up, and not working from actual photographs of real life stock.

P1010909.JPG
P1010909.JPG (46 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

P1010916.JPG
P1010916.JPG (44.9 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

P1010919.JPG
P1010919.JPG (44.58 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

P1010911.JPG
P1010911.JPG (52.71 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

P1010906.JPG
P1010906.JPG (37.03 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

Regards,
James

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:41 pm

as always James, looking good. I'm yet to bit the bullet and weather my loco's and stock, but you've done a nice job. I think the hoover needs more though!!

Let me know when you come to sell as I want first dibs on this one!

Regards
Matt

jamest

Postby jamest » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:34 am

matt1471 wrote:as always James, looking good. I'm yet to bit the bullet and weather my loco's and stock, but you've done a nice job. I think the hoover needs more though!!

Let me know when you come to sell as I want first dibs on this one!

Regards
Matt

Cheers Matt,

The hoover was a bit of a pain actually - it was an impulse buy from ebay. It turned out to be one with a faulty circuit board (common knowledge if I'd bothered to google it!). It ran in fine on DC but went nowhere on DCC. Much head-scratching later I tried the chip the other way around (before I googled it) and it ran! I was nervous as I thought it would do damage, but it turns out hornby recommend it as a quick fix.

They will send out replacement boards but have no stock at the moment. Given it is an old problem I don't hold out any hope of them getting any soon. You can order them for around a tenner, but as the reverse chip is working (including the rear lights) I see it as a tenner wasted (especially as I'd need to change the board!).

It also started to sound awful when running, which I had attributed to the reverse chip, but it turned out to be a lack of oil in one of the bogie's. It must have developed while it was running in (I left it alone in the garage). But of lube and it was fine.

So if you buy a hoover be wary if it is a early one (unless they say the chip has been replaced - some do).

Regards,
James

jamest

Postby jamest » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi all,

A strange natural phenomenon occurred in North Devon today. A large round yellow object was observed in the sky - can't remember whats it called!!!

I took the opportunity to place the layout out in the 'sun' to photograph the weathered stock and judge how the track work looks in natural light. My garage is a nice place to work but the light could be better.

I'm really pleased with how it looks in the sunlight and I think it shows up the weathering on the hoover and coaches much better.

Here is the wagon again:

P1010928.JPG
P1010928.JPG (48.23 KiB) Viewed 1724 times

And the hoover shots:

P1010927.JPG
P1010927.JPG (50.6 KiB) Viewed 1724 times

P1010926.JPG
P1010926.JPG (56.5 KiB) Viewed 1724 times

P1010925.JPG
P1010925.JPG (64.5 KiB) Viewed 1724 times

P1010923.JPG
P1010923.JPG (70.44 KiB) Viewed 1724 times

Cheers,
James

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:36 am

:shock: That looks brilliant in the sunlight...

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:02 am

There's no substitute for natural daylight, detail work looked good inside, now outside it really does show how good the workmanship is.

Be very proud.

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

BluePullman21

Postby BluePullman21 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:15 am

This truly is a brilliant layout 8)

Cheers,
William

jamest

Postby jamest » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi all,

Thanks very much for your all your kind comments.

I'm really pleased I took the plunge and had a go at weathering. The RTR stuff available is pretty good nowadays and with a little effort on the dirt side even a relative numpty like me can get something unique and pretty realistic!

Regards,
James

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:04 pm

Just nicely weathered enough that; good work! :)
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!
My OO work in progress: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36766

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:52 pm

just encountered this, thats one beautiful layout man
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”