Castell Mawr - A joint GWR/LMS route

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Castell Mawr - A joint GWR/LMS route

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:38 am

Trying to sort out last little scenic joints.
Here is the signal for sidings with the dolly for wrong way running in the 6 foot to protect
crossing gates.

Back to wandering between the TV (TdF & GP) and layout.
Note the bracket signal is still under construction hence the dropped arms on both signals.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:16 pm

Starting to look very good indeed - all coming along nicely. I am another who is got a day of Silverstone and model railway mixed together (yes I am actually getting on with a few bits and bobs on the railway!).
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:50 pm

What a nice picture :)
The singals look great, I like the one in the far corner facing the other way. Its one of those things that you dont really notice when their missing but really stand out when their there. You couldn't run a railway with signals :wink:

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:21 am

Tried to do some work outdoors as home for a day ........
Three boards out to refine connection interfaces, did that O.K.
started weathering more track and a rain shower came in !!

Fine rain that soaked me while I was putting it all away, running
off boards when put on their sides .......

Obviously the signals are work in progress, as are the two buildings
as in fact the whole layout is !! I do like to photograph as more grass
is laid because it always looks so much better.

A midland compound just peeping around the corner by the only
area still to be finished on the outer cutting face.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:37 pm

I suspect that your background in modelling aircraft has influenced the paint job on the hanger.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:47 pm

I love this layout. Only one question really... Whens its next outing?

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:49 pm

It just could have been this coming weekend Mike,

I came home today to find a message from our show organiser that one club has called to say they can't make it.
Could I step in ? ...... with what I thought !! I can't strip two short planks out of the loft by Thursday and CM needs
a large van which I'm not going to get organised tomorrow .......
I refuse to be rushed - that's how things get damaged. As well as that CM needs a crew of 3 and to date I can only
lay my hands on one other operator down here, who is already committed to running the clubs layout.
I shall 'Have a go' at our organiser - If they want me to run I must have a few weeks notice, not that I'm a perfectionist,
but I insist on well presented & well running layouts ....... even for one still under construction.

More fencing been done while away this week, also made up the workshops lifting doors and well on the way with
the office wing that fills one of those darned great holes, camera at caravan as only home this afternoon to get
something for club night. Club night will be fun, seeing how they take to aircraft models, taking 4 big bombers,
Washington, Vulcan, Valiant & Victor that are in my international travel box.

Geoff T.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:04 am

The crossing gates in the last picture look like a challenge worthy of Unstoppable.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Unstoppable ?
Almost like the slow progress ...... Still the latest pictures before this end is put away to allow work on the other end !

Still loads of work to do on buildings, but the workshop offices coming together

I think anyone who designs a layout without a nice office desk is missing a trick, control equipment and coffees. Makes a nice
work bench as well !!

I think this is a bombproof concrete roof ......... Can't decide if I should make a thinner one ?

Spending all tomorrow getting stuff ready for the Bridport MRC exhibition on Saturday (heat waves are bad for business)

Geoff T.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:13 pm

I think this is a bombproof concrete roof ......... Can't decide if I should make a thinner one ?

Just the usual job stretching tactics "make it good and heavy lads, we'll be back here in a couple of days when they decide it needs thicker walls"
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:08 pm

I like it as it is. Looks very sturdy. I was looking at the pigs that have wandered off to run the railway :)

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:09 pm

Dark nights can be a blessing ........ but then again ......
Decided to do some work on my level crossing board by adding some grass on verges running into the military
establishment. In fact the first work on this layout since July !!
It's also been the first time I've tried working indoors since we left Northamptonshire and I'm finding problems
associated with downsizing. I no longer have a 10 foot worktop with access to both sides and that's making it hard
work, meaning I have to work even more slowly !! (& probably vacuum the kitchen floor before I go to bed)

The pillbox side was/is scheduled for tonight, but I may wait while the other side sets. At least I can run an 06 shunter
over all 6 tracks.
I must press on with CM and am contemplating bringing a couple of trestles into the kitchen for future work.

Geoff T.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:26 pm

Very nice :) I'm really impressed by the gravel area. The colouring looks spot on. Can you tell me more about the pill box? The painting looks rather good

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi THE CHIEF,

That is the standard Hornby resin version, don't know if it's still in their range. It has the odd design shortcoming
in as much as there is no internal blast wall just inside the door. Having said that it's quite a nice shape & size, even
the exterior colour is fine, but they have light coloured interiors and all I've done is paint mine black and darken the
gun ports a little.
Just finished adding grass on the knoll, but will do the front vertical bank another day as I'm trying to keep my glue
overspill to an absolute minimum due to the board being nearly completed.

Now where is that second gate for that part lifted ex-military siding ? Not seen it for well over a year, but I know
it's somewhere in the loft.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:42 pm

I found the missing gate ...... although this one was not painted white, so it
could easily be just 'another', but it's the same make as the first and now has it's
second post installed.

O.K very little progress, but every sq inch of grass makes me feel like I'm progressing !!

A 7F pulling chalk wagons to a cement works, plus a few empty presflo for loading

Geoff T.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”