Castell Mawr - A joint GWR/LMS route

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Castell Mawr - A joint GWR/LMS route

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:39 pm

Inner brick lining added and given a err.... brick coloured coat of paint.
Spent most of my time since the earlier postings watching the T de F on T.V
Phew what a pile-up poor Mark Cavendish seems to be in the wars this year.
Think we had a lot less pile-ups back in my days (1960's)

Not looking bad !

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:37 pm

My last 2 boards are now standing on legs in the garage.
One nice sunny day was all I needed.

Now I have to cut the curved trackbed and supports, but these are the last 2 so when track is laid & live
I should be able to run the whole layout - when I find space to assemble it all together.
Still loads of landscape to develop before I can add any greenery.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:59 pm

Dispite all of the previous pictures I have only just realised that the end boards are not squares :oops:

Hope you get some more fine weather soon so that you can join it all up

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:53 am

Hi lofty,

I wanted to get my 180 degrre turns at each end as light and compact as possible. We had some 4' x 2' 9 mm ply boards
spare and decided on unequal hexagons. Sawing a corner off and attaching at the other end ! Each operating well end is
just a 'V' with a single aspect, where the outside has 3 angles, both boards joining at 90 degrees to the main board join.
It works on the cutting end O.K - However as it's been built in stages the interesting time will be when it's all joined
together, are the alignments accurate enough ???? will it all snap together square ????.
I don't expect problems, but if for some reason it's so far out it can't join accurately enough I can always add small filler
boards to join in between the corner boards and these can be cut any shape we require (always have a plan 'B').

Last evening I ordered another load of embossed plasticard from Slaters for retaining walls and bridge construction. This
end presents some challenges, but should be fun of sorts, no worse I'm certain that playing football on a cold wet day &
getting kicked a few times !!

Geoff T.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:43 pm

Dad-1 wrote:However as it's been built in stages the interesting time will be when it's all joined together, are the alignments accurate enough ???? will it all snap together square ????.

I did think that but didn't want you to blame me if it doesn't fit :lol:

What alignment and holding together method are you using :?: (apologies if its earlier in the thread and I cannot remember seeing it)

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:28 pm

Hi lofty,

Certain I did say, but it's all so long ago I've almost forgotten !!

The adjoining beams were drilled as (12) pairs with three dowel holes that have wooden dowels, the central one being longer so that is engaged first then a slight sideways rock engages the other two. The actual holding together is done by case type snap latches, one each side. These latches also carry all the track current which means I don't have to plug the DCC bus together. And yes that has proved 100% functional (so far).
For easy set up there are just 3 electrical plugs - 1) plugging the controller to track feed; 2) north station goods line points; 3) south station goods line points: Those points are crossover pairs needing just 3 wires each and have chocolate block plug connections.
I say to people I'm naturally lazy, so much though go's into reducing work .......... Why do you think I took to simple DCC so easily, simples, 2 wires !!

Geoff T.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:02 pm

Cheers for that, i think I recollect the mention of wooden dowels.

Interesting concept on the latches carrying the power.

Does that mean that you are using DCC for point operation as well, all from the same Bus

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi lofty,

Yes, currently 7 point decoders all running from the track DCC bus. I do have a 4 amp power supply for my Selects which should be adequate. Our other system is a Dynamis with Pro-Box.

I have though built in a spare power socket on the desk, currently just leading to cut ends under the board. If we have any problems
of overloading the DCC bus by re-charging capacitors in point decoders I can add in another independant DCC circuit.
The plan is that the layout will normally be used with a Dynamis infrared system so operators are free to roam, but I have available 3 x Selects
and one of these could be set on the desk and used for all point changing.

I do have problems with the Dynamis, I forget to point it at the infrared receiver and nothing happens ..... crash !! I'm having to train myself to think first, very difficult when you're an old dog like me !!

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Rained all morning, that was good, as I'd taken the wife shopping and she soon lost interest !!
After the T de F had finished, that was another tough day !! I managed a little time in the garage. Linked the low corner boards onto the end of the fiddleyard/sidings boards.

I'm now able to start cutting track to length, solder on dropper wires and prepare to fix.
I still need a good dry day to get out and cut several more track risers. These need to go in before all that track bed is glued into it's permanent home.
Still I'm excited as these are the last two for track work ..... scenics not far away now.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:41 pm

I've kind of noticed it's 10 days since I last posted anything.
I have been slow and even the improved weather has drawn me away as I have to get a layout ready for an exhibition on 18th August.
Anyway one low board has track laid and wired and I'm just starting the landscape build-up.

All stuck with full strength woodworker PVA and it becomes quite strong, even before the final plaster covering.

Loads to do, but as I'm into hospital on Thursday for a spinal operation It may be a couple of weeks before I get on here again.

Geoff T.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:42 pm

Good luck Geoff - really hope for a positive outcome for you.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:46 pm

All the best for your op Geoff.
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:44 am

Hi, just read you thread for the first time. I think you are doing a great job! Looks really good. I love the bit in the cutting and the photos outside. The light is amazing.

Keep up the good work

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

siquelme

Postby siquelme » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Good luck with your operation!

Hopefully wont keep you out of modelling to long
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks for the good wishes fellahs !!

5 days in today and feeling good. Legs working better than for the last couple of years
back still rather sore, but wound not angry and healing well.
Already been out for a little play, but bending can still hurt. So what do I do ?
drop more things than ever !!

Nothing serious being done though , still difficult to settle & concentrate on anything.

Geoff T.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”