St. Mary Hoo - a clapped out SR branch terminus in P4

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Rustyrail

Re: St. Mary Hoo - a clapped out SR branch terminus in P4

Postby Rustyrail » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:54 pm

One of my favourite views of the layout; now looking more or less complete apart from point ballasting and detailing. The landscape in the background will soon change and develop giving a more rounded view when the layout is at an exhibition. At the far end, beyond the old level crossing phase 3 will begin. This will be the old SR line to Allhallows in the east, and the CEGB complex proper with a variety of run down sidings and parts of the power station building. The old SR line will be fully electrified but I think will be out of use and very overgrown (hardly visible below grass and bramble bushes) more than the existing layout. The boards and the course of the track will curve to the right.

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:05 pm

A close up of the new bridge fencing, copied from the example at Hythe on the southern region (also where I copied the bridge from). That signal does work, but I've not wired it up yet!

Last edited by Rustyrail on Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:18 pm

A rare aerial view of SMH showing the Acme Models etched brass pylon kit; this was one of two test etches that I bought from the company from an ad that I saw in an old Model Railway Journal magazine. They are no longer made and never appeared on the market as a kit; mine had no instructions, just a hand drawn plan! They are very hard to make and this one took about a month to complete. I will make the other up and include it on the new part of the layout. You can also see my gorse bushes which I've been slowly developing. A lot more of these will appear around the military railway area. This photo gives you a good idea about the length of the three way point; it's huge and about the same as two Peco long radius points placed back to back!

Last edited by Rustyrail on Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:32 pm

THE CHIEF wrote:I like seeing the hiden bits of layouts. Thats why I like forums over magazines. That filter signal is a good example of forward planning.

Cheers Mike; like many other aspects of the SMH project it was something that I'd always thought about, but for a short time there was a small scratch built semaphore signal there (that I still have and which will feature on either the CEGB complex or the military railway). I have two working mechanical SR ground shunt signals that I scratch built and these will find their way onto the layout in due course. They have LEDs lighting the tiny spectacles. The colour light junction feather will be electrically linked to the new junction point.

All the best
Simon

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Rustyrail wrote:
THE CHIEF wrote:I like seeing the hiden bits of layouts. Thats why I like forums over magazines. That filter signal is a good example of forward planning.

Cheers Mike; like many other aspects of the SMH project it was something that I'd always thought about, but for a short time there was a small scratch built semaphore signal there (that I still have and which will feature on either the CEGB complex or the military railway). I have two working mechanical SR ground shunt signals that I scratch built and these will find their way onto the layout in due course. They have LEDs lighting the tiny spectacles. The colour light junction feather will be electrically linked to the new junction point.

All the best
Simon

To keep up your high standard you should put one of those boxes with the white "X" over the signal to indicate not in use!!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:46 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:
Rustyrail wrote:

All the best
Simon

To keep up your high standard you should put one of those boxes with the white "X" over the signal to indicate not in use!!

Jim

I was thinking about that Jim and may well take your advice... for future occasions!

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:24 pm

When phase 3 gets built the CEGB power station complex will be accessed by the line, second from the right, that passes the buffer stop in the background. I'm thinking of installing working warning flashing lights to protect the CEGB part of the crossing. Two locos have been assigned to the CEGB so far; the Hunslet diesel shunter seen elsewhere in this thread and a High Level Kits big Barclay steam loco (which is in the workshops and half built). They will be joined by a J94 austerity, converted from the Hornby model to P4.

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:34 pm

And here is one of those shunters basking in the afternoon sun and in between shunting duties; an old Impetus Kits Hunslet which I bought off Ebay of all places! Why anyone wants to sell P4 kit built locos that they've spent hours fettling and swearing at is always quite surprising to me! Needless to say, P4 locos rtr on sale anywhere are very rare indeed, mainly I think, because of their complexity (compensation, etc).

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Fantastic stuff. The pylon is a great feature, rarely modelled aswell. How hard is it to P4 a new bachmann diesel? Can you get EM style drop in wheel sets? I know theres a lot more to it but just to get running. Out of interest with the much finer flanges and rail are P4 models more susceptible to derailment?

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Hello Mike,

To convert a Bachmann diesel to P4 is pretty easy (depending a bit on what class of diesel it is); using Ultrascale conversion packs (these are available for OO, EM and P4) you literally remove the bogie side frames/keeper plate and pull the existing wheel sets out and slot the new ones in. The only other thing needed for P4 is to bend the phosphor bronze pick ups outwards due to the wider gauge. Once you've clipped the bogie frames/keeper plate assembly back on, that's it! Just give it a good test run before painting the wheels. It's exactly the same for EM and OO replacement wheels. The fine flanges of P4 can cause problems if the track is uneven (but not always in my experience) but with plenty of weight, you can get very trouble free running. The Bachmann/Dapol, etc, bogie diesels don't need compensation, just make sure there is some play there.

Cheers
Simon

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:11 pm

Here's an excellent video showing arching on third rail side exit ramps at Tonbridge, with a subsequent small fire started!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCX1Es2f530

And another video of arching in the snow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ6PqpCbsLE

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:48 pm

Hi Simon,

I note how you describe converting diesels to P4. How easy was your Bachmann 08? I have looked at what the S4 forum has to say on the matter and there are alarming tales of shifting cranks (which appears to affect both the Bachmann and Hornby versions. I had thought of re-wheeling one of my 08 locos as a first step, but now I am not so sure!

Re-wheeling a Hornby class 73 seems an easy job in comparison, so maybe I'll start there (in three or four month's time when the Ultrascale wheels arrive!).

All the best,

Colin
Last edited by Colin Parks on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Hello Colin!

Umm, I've not read about this crank problem with the 08 Ultrascale wheels; mine has been faultless since I converted it several years ago. From what I can remember the conversion wasn't too difficult but definitely took more time than say a Bachmann class 25 or a Hornby class 31, and was a fair bit harder. So you are taking the P4 plunge then (re the class 73 wheels)? Does this mean you won't be buying one of the elusive Dapol class 73s?

Cheers
Simon

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:25 pm

Hi Simon,

I am contemplating a change to P4 at some point. At least for some of the stock would be converted, cost being an issue as much as anything. The idea of sprung axles and realistic suspension is very appealing, and probably also prudent with P4 flanges. The hardest thing to convert appears to be the humble four-wheeled wagon.

It has been mentioned to me that P4 point-work using flat-bottom rail requires extra filing of the rail foot at crossings and check rail areas to get the rail heads close enough together. How did you get on with your one point built using such rail?

All the best,

Colin

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:28 pm

A delight, as usual.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”