Budgetbrooke

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
nickbrad

Re: Budgetbrooke: The continuation.

Postby nickbrad » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:15 pm

In all honesty, no i haven't. I think I'm going to have to give it a proper look soon, I've been busy running errands for my ex this morning so haven't even finished the plans for the competition builds, but it definitely needs sorting as a second loco until the dcc controller comes along. (Birthday present to myself if nothing arrives sooner.)

PinkNosedPenguin

Re: Budgetbrooke: Restarted.

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:32 pm

nickbrad wrote:I guess what I am trying to say is that the mental capacity to progress hasn't always been there, but right now I am feeling in a fairly good place these days, I am fighting the demon fight and although I cannot win, I sure don't plan to lose any time soon.
Sounds like you've had a really rough time of it nick, so I truly hope you are coming out the other end now, and pleased to hear you are now in a better place :) . I think this hobby has the potential to help you as it can be a great stress reliever. Basically its all about fun at the end of the day, so build your layout however you want! Hopefully forum members will be here to offer encouragement and advice along the way. I wish you all the best with the layout and will be following your progress with interest :D

nickbrad

Re: Budgetbrooke: Restarted.

Postby nickbrad » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:14 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Sounds like you've had a really rough time of it nick, so I truly hope you are coming out the other end now, and pleased to hear you are now in a better place :) . I think this hobby has the potential to help you as it can be a great stress reliever. Basically its all about fun at the end of the day, so build your layout however you want! Hopefully forum members will be here to offer encouragement and advice along the way. I wish you all the best with the layout and will be following your progress with interest :D

Thanks PNP, it has been hard at times, but I just think of how some other people out there have had it harder than me, and I can't give up. Only I can battle this, no one can do it for me :)

Back to the subject at hand. I've been tinkering with the branches on my tree, looking at loads of pictures of trees on google, but one thing strikes me, there is no typical shaped elm tree. Colour is important, but regards the shape, they can come in all sorts of sizes with different spreads depending on where they are so i am just going to have to go with something that looks right to me

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:28 pm

Board 1 is alive!

I have just completed the wiring of board 1, (again,) with all track glued down with pva and all tracks are powered along with all points changing easily with my little "Heath Robinson" rods in straws. To say that it's track that hasn't been cleaned, an old Lima DC controller just looped to the end of one of the tracks and my 040 shunter that could do with a bit of maintenance isn't bad.

Board 2 will be a quick half hr job tomorrow afternoon, then I can think about scenery and cracking on with this competition, (after cleaning all the track and giving it a proper run). Auto coupling hasn't gone the way I planned so far, but I will return to that later, possibly after I have gotten a couple of wagons working over the existing sited magnets.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:09 pm

Nothing much to report, tracks have been cut for the remaining sidings, but have yet to be laid. The frenzy of saturday night's attempted build for the competition has seen a building mostly completed for the line, I do want to paint the window frames and glaze them with Krystal Klear, but finding somewhere that stocks it and won't cost £8+ including postage is proving troublesome so far. I do want it for my locos, (which came with black plastic inside the whole cab from Bachmann,) but not at that price. Not even the show at the weekend unearthed any.

What I have been doing though is testing a couple of locos kindly lent to me by Chris, (Emettman). For those that follow his workbench thread and also his February competition thread, will know that he has been busily building and testing radio controlled locos. Now these would be totally out of place on a large high speed mainline layout, but for small shunting style layouts, they are fantastic.

I have taken a video on my phone of one of the locos in action and I would like to thank Chris for the generous lending of these so I can test them out before building one or two of my own.
Click here for link

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:49 pm

Nickbrad

What a gent chris is!

See we are nice guys on here :)

Video looks great - best of luck with you attempt at radio controlled battery powered locos

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:36 pm

Hmmm - r/c locos - what an interesting topic. Certainly runs nicely in the video (though I was bit worried at the half-way point that you were going to drive it off the end :lol: ). Wonder if you could fit a battery with enough juice into an N gauge loco :?:

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:41 pm

I think the issue with an N gauge loco would be that even large mainline locos would struggle to fit a AAA holder inside the shell, then the speed would cancel out any practical use. If anyone would like to try it though, I'd be happy to follow their attempt. :)

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:06 pm

Maybe some of those tiny watch batteries, You could perhaps have one or two in various corners and crevices then wire them up together... :D
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:15 pm

I'll think I'll leave it to the experts :lol:

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:45 pm

Well the time has come for the two battery powered shunters to head back south, hopefully this will push me to complete the wiring now now that I cannot rely on batteries to move things. The track is all laid, but I plan to throw some brown poster paint down before taking any more pics, the blue foam is becoming offensive to my eyes and there isn't much to show at this stage anyway beyond 3 sidings and a point.

The hut has received it's brickwork and will have the window frames painted later, but glazing is still not done as of yet, I may have to bite the bullet and buy woodland scenics glaze, but at over £5 for a small bottle, I am undecided......

Next up, I am thinking about building an engine shed from a kit, but we'll have to see how finances are at the end of the month.

Mattc6911

Re: Budgetbrooke

Postby Mattc6911 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Nick can you see any of the Images in this thread ? I can see the images on page 5 and on some other pages... Just experimenting with something

Cheers
Matt

Mattc6911

Postby Mattc6911 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:56 pm

3-7-Photo0174.jpg
Last edited by Mattc6911 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:45 am, edited 6 times in total.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:46 am

I liked the link of one of Chris' locos. Has possibilities.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:44 pm

I don't know how you did that, but I can see it and it does indeed have great possibilities.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”