Budgetbrooke

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Budgetbrooke: Restarted.

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Budgetbrooke ....... just remember to keep it simple and tightly financed.
I have great admiration for working at the lowest costing, even if just to prove
that you don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy railway modelling.

I'll have to keep my head down after that as I've blown several thousands over the last 5 years

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:28 pm

I envisage about £75 still needs to be spent on major things like the controller and 3 remaining points, but other than that, I've got most of what I need to build this layout; materials for scenery, locos and rolling stock, minature people and vehicles to populate.....

I have made an additional purchase recently, but all will be revealed once it arrives from overseas, plus the price is very agreeable :wink:

Jimmy77

Postby Jimmy77 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:25 am

Good luck with the build!

You mention you are after a controller, I think somewhere I have an old hornby or lima one somewhere in the workshop if you are interested? I don't want anything for it. If interested let me know and I'll see if I can find it.

Cheers,

Jimmy
My N gauge layout in the workshop
Layout

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:23 pm

I actually have both a Hornby and a Lima DC controller, but I'm planning to use this as a first foray into DCC, hence why I've budgeted around £40 for it. Thanks anyway though :D

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi folks, not a lot of work's happened due to a trip to Cambridgeshire to see my grandad who's very ill, but I did mention a recent purchase in my last post so now they've arrived, I can reveal what they are. :)
I decided lighting was going to feature very early on and I was browsing ebay when I came across a set of 10 small street lamps for an amazing price, (revealed below,) all I needed to do was source a 6v DC power supply for them, which conveniently someone was selling for just £4.99 including p&p.
That was it, I quickly clicked on both and crossed my fingers that I wasn't outbid on the power supply, (lights were BIN). My bid held and now they're all safely here ready to use.

I've decided that while I'm at it, i'll pull all the purchases together here in one list to save people going back through the thread if they want to recap on my purchases.

- £29.70 = Bachmann DCC "Charlie" shunter
- £03.99 = Bachmann HO scale Central Pacific coach
- £04.29 = Peco SL-E91 Small radius point
- £31.00 = Bachmann DCC "Charlie" and "Digby" shunters
- £05.85 = 00 gauge figures (25 standing and 10 sitting)
- £05.70 = Hornby R912 Controller, (to allow basic control untill a DCC unit comes along)
- £03.90 = 2 x Peco ST271 Uncoupling ramps
- £03.99 = Hornby Dublo Fruit D wagon
- £07.44 = Basic soldering iron kit
- £02.20 = Peco kit for coachmaster #15 BSK (for modelling interior of Bachmann coach above)
- £10.40 = 4 x 2"x1" timber, 8ft long
- £15.00 = 8ft x 4ft 12mm MDF
- £05.00 = box of 250 woodscrews 2" long
- £00.50 = 2 x PVA glue sticks
- £04.89 = Oxford Diecast Land Rover
- £30.75 = 3 x SL-E92 Small radius LH points
- £02.00 = Matte photo paper
- £00.99 = PVA glue
- £01.00 = Green poster paint (base layer for grass section)
- £02.50 = Precision craft knife
- £01.78 = 00 gauge Audi A4
- £05.99 = full circle of 2nd radius curves and full circle of 3rd radius curves
- £05.00 = Humber Super Snipe estate
- £00.99 = Copper tape for use as bus rails for wiring
- £05.10 = Selection of wires
- £00.99 = Solder wire
- £03.35 = Hillman Imp
- £03.99 = AEC Mammoth lorry
- £06.94 = Thames trader lorry
- £05.74 = 3x Transit dropside vans
- £01.99 = 2x Imitation ironstone loads
- £02.50 = roll of cork matting
- £04.99 = Humbrol sand yellow matt spray
- £02.00 = Coal Grit
- £04.99 = Power supply for lighting
- £01.20 = 10 x Street lamps
- £227.63 = Total so far.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Thu May 02, 2013 1:02 pm

Well, over a month has passed and no more update, that must mean nothing has happened, yes? Well, actually no, quite a bit has happened.

Sadly my grandad passed away just over a week after I went to see him. This meant another trip to Cambridgeshire for the funeral and so naturally the layout was put lower on the list of priorities, also, I've moved out of the YMCA into a shared house which although that meant more expense, it also meant a little more room. With that in mind, plus having one of those Ikea room divider thingies which was too overpowering and unnecessary for what I needed, plans altered slightly and I've gained about 2ft in length but sacrificed some width.
The main outer sections of the room divider are quite chunky, (over an inch thick,) yet very light and so I've decided that the two longest sections will become the base for my layout which will mean that the babbling brook can once again appear in the plans. (Cutting that out of the board will be fun, but hey ho, we'll see.)
Anywho, this morning I have drilled both boards for the track wiring and points, leaving wiring as the next stage. As I don't have the DCC controller yet, it could have posed a problem, but as I'm only planning on having 1 loco "in steam", I've sectioned it using insulated fishplates at certain points and can wire it up to all be live permanently and use a dc controller for now.

One other change is the use of foam underlay instead of the cork I was originally planning. I've been reading lots of stories of the cork breaking up over time, hopefully the dense craft foam I have purchased won't have that issue, but we'll have to see.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Thu May 02, 2013 11:38 pm

5-1-Photo0487_zpsaf8431b5.jpg

This shows the two boards at the end of play today with the pointwork in position on one of the boards, yet to purchase the 3 points needed for the second board, but once the wires have been purchased on tuesday, i'll be breaking out the soldering iron and tracklaying will commence. I've got a really positive buzz going on at the minute with this, if I can keep the mojo up, I may have trains running in a couple of weeks. :D
Last edited by nickbrad on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Hmmm, another promised timescale that didn't materialise. :lol:

Well, after the Doncaster show at the weekend, once again I'm returning to this with hopes that I will actually get somewhere. To force myself onwards, I am breaking out the soldering iron this afternoon to get the first pieces of track wired up. If this goes well, I may even try modifying one of the points ready for DCC operation. One issue I have though is that one of the points I own is the older type without the cuts in the trackwork before the frog and so investment in a Draper mini tool will be required so I can cut the track and then solder in the required wires. I can use that point to feed the bottom most sidings so it can wait for now.

I do have some additions and subtractions to make to the running total though so i'll get that out of the way first.

- £03.90 = 2 x Peco ST271 Uncoupling ramps
- £15.00 = 8ft x 4ft 12mm MDF
- £01.00 = Green poster paint (base layer for grass section)
- £02.50 = roll of cork matting

None of these are now needed/being used so I am removing them from the cost. The MDF became a shelving unit, but the timber is still being used on the legs so that stays in the costings. The baseboard as can be seen in previous posts is made from an Ikea shelving unit which was given to me free. They are lightweight, yet sturdy enough for my needs.

Sub total at £205.23.

Now for the recent purchases,

- £2.50 = 4x Baseboard Alignment dowels (probably only use 2 and sell the other 2 on)
- £1.50 = 200g fine ballast grey
- £7.60 = Hornby Industrial Shunter

Total = 216.83

The shunter has some damage and also some modifications it seems, so I am debating whether to try repairing it or whether to use the chassis as a basis for attempting to build a Ruston Planet shunter. see here
The chassis is a good runner, (now I've cleaned the wheels,) the main reason for buying it though is that until I buy my DCC controller, I don't really want to risk damaging the dcc locos on DC power.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:37 pm

Ok, so I went out to a friend's house for tea so didn't break out the soldering iron last night, but today I did!

I have burns on my fingers now, (predictably,) but more importantly, I have one board almost wired up :D

(I apologise for the quality, but all I have to hand is my phone)
5-2-baseboard1top_zpsba72a7c7.jpg

This is the top with all but 1 line wired up and temporarily in place. (The second shed road is missing atm)

5-3-Baseboard1underside_zpsa963b49d.jpg

This shows the underside, now you'll notice two things, firstly is that the copper tape didn't go on straight. I had quite a few problems with this stuff sticking, it may be the shiny surface doesn't give sufficient grip, I don't know. Secondly, the wires have quite long loops on them. This is intentional as the points need to come out so I can modify them to avoid shorts being created by the wheel backs. I deinitely need a fine tip on my soldering iron before I do that, the current one is like a flat screwdriver and not ideal.

The important thing though is that without cleaning the track and looping the ends of the wires from my old Lima controller quickly round the ends of one of the tracks, I was able to drive my budget shunter from one end to the other and back, using all the points and sidings. No cutouts, no shorts and no stuttering. Sadly though, although I thought I was recording it on my phone for you all, there seems to be something wrong with my phone and it didn't actually record anything. Hey ho, it works though and the smile on my face is about a mile wide :D :D :D
Last edited by nickbrad on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:06 pm

A small update, currently rewiring the points following Brian Lambert's advice here, but have noticed an issue with the small shunter I purchased off here last week. It seems the wheel back to backs don't line up and it's causing the front wheels to jump when leading over point frogs and if going slow enough, will actually derail the train. How easy or difficult is it to move the wheels out by about a millimeter, bearing in mind the body has been glued on so ideally I'd rather not be hacking it about.
As it turns out though, I already have one of these chassis in the form of an old Barclay Class 06 which is missing the cab and has been for some years now. Another great runner and has no issues with the points whatsoever so this will now become my primary motive power until the red one is sorted, but I will have to grab some plasticard and make a cab/new body for it sooner rather than later I think.

5-4-class06side_zpsc7eb6bb9.jpg

Class 06 (or what remains of it)

5-5-redshunterwheels_zps8e2bee8c.jpg

Underside of red shunter, showing the difference in wheel back to back measurements, (hopefully)

Using my old phone which the speaker has broken in, but does give better pictures, although that's a relative term when compared to most people's photos on here.
Last edited by nickbrad on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:17 am

Sooo, 11 months to the day since I last posted on this and beyond thinking, I haven't actually done anything to the model apart from stand the boards on their end and let the double sided tape lose grip leaving the tracks dangling on their feeds, breaking some in the process :lol:

I am not going to make any claims to deadlines or promise regular updates or anything like that as history shows I will break them. However, now my pc is fixed, I at least have to opportunity to update.

With that in mind, I got most of my stock out, (left 2 of the partwork coaches out, the second Bachmann Charlie, 2nd livestock wagon, ICI petrochemicals TTA wagon, and assorted stock for recreating the Titfield Thunderbolt,) and took some pics which can be found below.

5-6-16-1-15stock_zpse62568ee.jpg

The above shows a poor overall stock layout, with the stock on the left not bound for this particular model railway, the stock on the right is what I plan to use and the two locos front centre are possible candidates for R/C battery conversion.

5-7-16-1-15stocka_zpsd382821b.jpg

This one shows the left hand side closer, the two brake vans and wagon are old Lima models and are so light you can easy flick them up in the air with one finger, not at all suitable for use without weighing down quite a bit. The parcels van at the back and the Typhoo Tea van both have lost buffers which is a shame, but poor storage is to blame.

5-8-16-1-15stockb_zps62c76d5b.jpg

This one shows the two 040's better along with the stock that will feature on the line. The HO coach is due for some serious alteration, the floor and bogies will probably be the only things to survive, but as D&S Wisbech and Upwell coach kits are like hen's teeth, the intention is to build an approximation of those coaches, (the bogies are wrong for an accurate recreation and as I am not modelling the actual line, a detailed replica isn't essential for my enjoyment).

5-9-16-1-15stockc_zpscf486ce7.jpg

Here we see the remainder of my stock, apart from the aforementioned absentees,) I have no idea what happened to the brake van, it seems to have gotten a whitewash on the side at some point in it's life, but it's a good roller and much better weight than the two Lima models, (this is an old Hornby one,) so it will have a place on my line. I can't really make any justification for the grey guards van other than I love the shape. if someone has evidence of these types running in the Wisbech area though I'd be pleased to see it. :D

5-10-16-1-15coalwagons_zps2f0de5ac.jpg

Finally a close up of the two triang coal wagons. The reason being, I would love to track down a third one. It's well documented that the last train to run on the W&U tramway was a Class 04, with 3 coal wagons and an SR brake van. The colour is right, even down to the white stripe, I just need to get that 3rd wagon to make up the rake, if anyone has one spare, I'd happily trade with stock from the second picture.

Anyway, i'm off to fiddle with some cereal box to mock up a model of a typical W&U depot building, of which a lone survivor still exists at Outwell.
Last edited by nickbrad on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:11 pm

Only a very small update, points hunting is still ongoing, I need two of the 3 to be able to progress on the second board.

In the meantime, I have been giving thought to the track leading off scene on the second board. Now the fens aren't known for their hills and so the typical road bridge is going to be hard to excuse. My SCARM renderings show my long term thoughts on how to disguise the exit, ie trees. Now ebay is littered with cheap chinese trees which although fitting into the budget ethos, my problem with them is that they are too short for what I want.
A typical chinese tree is around 14-18 cm tall for 00, much too short for a fully grown tree. Also, as ParkeNd discovered, durability isn't a strong point with those trees so again, they aren't for me as I don't want to replace the trees in a hurry. One other route is dedicated specimin trees, (as featured on Parkend, although in N,) but at around £5 a pop, they don't fit with my ethos for the layout as I want at least 6 trees which could buy me the 3 remaining points I need new. Option 3, the one I have decided upon, is make my own. To that end I have ordered a 45m reel of florist wire meaning an addition to the running total.

- £1.99 = Florist wire

Total = £218.82

I may fail at making my own trees, but until I try, I won't know. Plus it gives me something to do whilst waiting for second hand points to appear, (I am keeping an eye of the bay of E).

Also, I made my cardboard mockup of the small building I wanted, it's very crude and not picture worthy, but it's serving an important role of being moved around so I can decide on it's final position before getting some plasticard and making a final version. I cannot find evidence of one of these standing at Upwell, however I assume the terminus must have had some kind of building for the goods yard, and all other goods depots along the W&U featured one of these buildings as can be evidenced in photos of the line.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:36 pm

Ok, first off, more purchases.

- £3.50 = 6mm heating insulation board (1200mm x 60mm)
- £0.99 = 2x toggle clasps

- Total = 223.80

The insulation board is to provide a base for the track to lay on, whilst allowing point control to be laid just below the track's surface. Some of you may wonder why I'm bothering to record small, seemingly irrelevant purchases, but I want to look back at the end of this project and be able to say "this is what can be achieved with just £****". I don't feel I could fairly say that without recording the little bits.

I have solved how I am going to operate the points now beyond just "wire in tube". All my searching for "proper" wire inside a tube to purchase has been a little more pricey than I wanted to pay, but I was having to really think about how to do it on the cheap. I purchased a box of paperclips a long time back with ideas of using them for fencing or possibly handrails etc, when unbending one the other night showed promise with it's rigidity when rerouting points on top of the baseboard. (Nothing seemed suitable for doing in through my deep boards.) However, paperclips are rather short and certainly wouldn't reach to the edge of the board on their own...... unless multiple clips are soldered together. This isn't going to be very neat and so I wanted to place the "wire" inside something to protect it beyond a groove in the scenery and that's when I saw the answer on another site, STRAWS. I have some cocktail straws which have a narrow bore, but if they are too narrow, ordinary drinking straws will provide the solution.

In the meantime, I had some polystyrene packing from my cooker purchase 18 months ago, but it was a bit thick to use on it's own to cover the boards, so I attempted to use this free material by cutting it in half lengthways. Whilst the end result was by no means bad, there are some high spots/depressions that mean it isn't really suitable for laying track on, hence my purchase of the insulation board above. My polystyrene will be good enough to to cover the non tracked sections of board, meaning I only need 1 sheet, despite having nearly 3 metres of track to cover in length.

I'll try to have some progress pics up by friday for you all.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:00 am

Not sure if the progress pics will appear, I've been busier than I expected this week and so layout time has been limited, but things have progressed a little.

The insulation board arrived today and as i feared, it was cracked pretty much right across the width of it about halfway along, luckily though the break was only about 90% through so I have been able to use it, simply by placing the cracked side down. Stress marks can still be seen on the top, but that will be covered by scenery eventually. I cut it lengthways and have stuck half down after unsoldering all the dropper wires from underneath and it is currently weighted down waiting for the neat pva to dry. Whilst I was at it, I also soldered the couple of dropper wires that had become detached from the tracks, so tomorrow hopefully I can rewire board 1 and possibly even look at sticking a polystyrene base on the rest of the board around the insulation board. I'll grab a picture once the track is relaid.

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:13 am

nickbrad wrote:Ok, first off, more purchases.

-I have solved how I am going to operate the points now beyond just "wire in tube". All my searching for "proper" wire inside a tube to purchase has been a little more pricey than I wanted to pay, but I was having to really think about how to do it on the cheap. I purchased a box of paperclips a long time back with ideas of using them for fencing or possibly handrails etc, when unbending one the other night showed promise with it's rigidity when rerouting points on top of the baseboard. (Nothing seemed suitable for doing in through my deep boards.) However, paperclips are rather short and certainly wouldn't reach to the edge of the board on their own...... unless multiple clips are soldered together. This isn't going to be very neat and so I wanted to place the "wire" inside something to protect it beyond a groove in the scenery and that's when I saw the answer on another site, STRAWS. I have some cocktail straws which have a narrow bore, but if they are too narrow, ordinary drinking straws will provide the solution.

This is how I did mine: and very cheap!

LIFTED FROM PAGE 11 OF TROUVE:

So for all of you who wanted to know how I would get on with my first WIT turnout control installation:

Well, apart from switching on the mains power, I think this has been one of the simplest jobs I have ever done on a model railway – helped of course by all 8 points being within 15cms of the front of the layout, from where it is operated.

I had ordered, some Modratec kit, the wire, the flexible tube and the turnout assembly units. Unfortunately the turnout assemblies were out of stock.

However, I happened to pop into my modelshop today looking for some plastic rod to make some downpipes for the buildings in the square, and discovered the one that was the right size – 1.3mm, had wire through the middle.

This gave me an idea, I saw some K&R 2.28mm diameter Aluminium tube in there as well and for the princely sum of £6.50 came away with 6 rods and 3 tubes to test my idea.

So having got home, I tested the rod, it was a perfect fit for the hole in the turnout and when the wire was bent, it stayed bent. So I drilled a suitably sized hole for the tube as close as possible to the bottom of the baseboard at the exact angle to be in line with the turnout operation, cut the tube to about 10mm short of the distance from the hole in the Turnout to the edge of the board. I then threaded the rod through the tube, pushed the whole lot through the predrilled hole, bent the end of the wire under the board to a right angle, pushed it up through the hole that had been drilled weeks ago for planned under board point motors and it fitted snugly into the turnout hole. I tested it, it worked perfectly, so I superglued the tube into the baseboard side, cut the rod to about 4cm protruding from the tube, then bent it downwards and I have a perfect working WIT turnout control.

Repeated for the rest, all worked first time, so for £6.50 I have no more finger of god and enough rod left to do the downpipes for about 17 buildings!

Chuffed!

The photos are on P11 of my Trouve thread.

It works really well.

Hope this helps

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”