Budgetbrooke

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
nickbrad

Re: Budgetbrooke: Humble beginnings.

Postby nickbrad » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:30 pm

More Scarm renderings, worked on these today whilst waiting for the brown paint to dry on the baseboards.

4-1-Budgetbrookesidings_5.jpg
This shows a little block of trees near the signal box end, which will lead to an extension board I'm planning once the main 2 boards are complete. This board will also be able to double up as a standalone photographic board for my rolling stock.

4-2-budgetbrookeextention2.jpg
Plan view showing the added extra board.

4-3-Budgetbrookeextention1.jpg
Scarm rendered view of the extra board.

Real shots of the layout should be coming this week, I'm at the transport museum tonight though so work is halted for today.
Last edited by nickbrad on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:25 am

Ok, tot up time, as I haven't tallied up what I've spent since October.

- £172.87 = carried over
- £05.99 = full circle of 2nd radius curves and full circle of 3rd radius curves
- £05.00 = Humber Super Snipe estate
- £00.99 = Copper tape for use as bus rails for wiring
- £05.10 = Selection of wires
- £00.99 = Solder wire

Total so far = £190.94

I have some updated pictures on my phone which i'll upload once I've taken my daughter to school.

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:28 am

nickbrad wrote:Ok, tot up time, as I haven't tallied up what I've spent since October.

- £172.87 = carried over
- £05.99 = full circle of 2nd radius curves and full circle of 3rd radius curves
- £05.00 = Humber Super Snipe estate
- £00.99 = Copper tape for use as bus rails for wiring
- £05.10 = Selection of wires
- £00.99 = Solder wire

Total so far = £190.94

I have some updated pictures on my phone which i'll upload once I've taken my daughter to school.

Does it not scare you adding up what you spent?
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:38 am

Nope, I find it keeps me realistic. It'd scare me more to go spending and not know how much was invested into the project, then suddenly realise that I'd spent thousands of money on what is essentially just a hobby, regardless of how much enjoyment i get from it.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:17 am

Real pic time!

The first one shows the layout with the previous track removed and stacked up, yes that really is furry dust you can see!

4-4-Photo0232-1.jpg

Then we see the bare boards with a cover of all over brown poster paint. Decided to give it this as it's more realistic to see soil under any scenery than it is to have bright green grass as it was before, (even though that was more of a guide for me than an actual attempt at scenery).
4-6-Photo0234.jpg

In the following pics, (taken in poor light,) we can see trackwork being positioned based upon the plans above, without the SCARM renderings though it would be hard for me to visualise the finished article.

4-7-Photo0238.jpg

4-8-Photo0239.jpg

4-9-Photo0237.jpg

Spend, spend, spend.

- £190.94 = Carried over
- £03.35 = Hillman Imp
- £03.99 = AEC Mammoth lorry
- £06.94 = Thames trader lorry
- £05.74 = 3x Transit dropside vans
- £01.99 = 2x Imitation ironstone loads
- £02.50 = roll of cork matting
- £04.99 = Humbrol sand yellow matts spray

- Total so far = £220.44

The remaining budget is beginning to look a little tight, with a bachmann E-z Command on the shopping list and 3 more sets of points also being crucial. I'm currently watching 4 controllers on the 'bay, but if anyone has one for sale around the £30 mark, i'd be very interested in hearing from them.
Last edited by nickbrad on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:44 pm

In a calmer corner of my mind, I have been thinking about simplicity.

Ahem, what I've actually been thinking about is how to best tackle auto coupling on my layout. I have 3 uncoupling ramps that work with standard couplings, but these of course require straight track to affix them to the layout. I'm interested in switching to kadees, number 5's have the current vote, but i'm wondering if they can be activated by ordinary round magnets placed between the rails. I can't find a definitive answer to this and until i do, I'm not sure what direction to take. One thing's for sure though, I shalln't be fixing any track down until I've worked out exactly what I'm doing.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Budgetbrooke is on suspension due to personal circumstances. Hopefully it won't be permanent, but for now, I really can't say. I'll try and check in on you all from time to time if and when I get the chance.

nickbrad

Re: Budgetbrooke: On hold.

Postby nickbrad » Mon May 14, 2012 11:26 am

Time to drag this from the depths with a little expenditure, namely on so grit to imitate coal for a wagon load;

- £220.44 = Carried Over
- £2.00 = Coal Grit
- £222.44 = Total so far.

Ok, not a massive expenditure and nothing to show yet, but hopefully within the next month, construction can restart.

tractor37

Re: Budgetbrooke: Restarted.

Postby tractor37 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:05 pm

And the said grit has been bagged up for you and will be sent out within a day or two depending on when I can get out of work... :D

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed May 16, 2012 3:46 pm

No worries, I'm building a "shelf" version of Budgetbrooke for now as it's having to be housed in the loft which dictates a maximum 1ft width if I ever want to be able to move it. Construction hopefully commences this weekend providing I can get some new blades for the jigsaw.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Oh look, another 6 months have passed and no progress :lol:

I'm now living in sheltered accomodation so big changes have taken place, but the great thing is that my room is all mine with no wifey/gf/swmbo to say I can't have a layout as the centrepiece. Boards will be recovered this week hopefully, then I'm going to get on with getting some track laid down and powered by the end of November. Wiring will be done so as to let me use my Hornby controller for now, but simply switch 2 wires over to run an E-Z command when that comes along in the new year.

Sadly the internet access I have atm doesn't allow me to see pictures hosted on photobucket which makes following my old Scarm renderings fun, (google shows them up in minature using google images) but I may resort to the library if need be lol.

kyriake

Postby kyriake » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:35 am

firstly im looking forward to helping you with the layout, budget brooke is still nearly the same with an extension of 8 ft by 2 ft, which is going to house a country terminus, small frieght yard, a petrol refinery and a loco works. the good thing is in the short space available we have even managed to get a 3rd radius curve in to link the 2 sections.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:33 pm

After another long absence I'm back once again and other than pull out of the Norma V tour I have managed................. nothing. :(

A visit to the forums, coupled with watching lots of train dvds and following the AVR progress on facebook and youtube, my mojo is restored and I'm raring to go. My old Scarm files are lost due to a HDD failure so I shall have to re -do them with some minor alterations no doubt, but that's not really a major issue and now I have my own pc up and running again, I can keep updates coming as they happen.
This weekend is the Lincolnshire YMCA's Sleep Easy event which raises money to assist with people moving back into the community after a stay at the YMCA so no work will be taking place until next week, but if there's no progress by the 11th of March, someone please shout, curse at me or kick me up the backside as I don't want to stagnate once again now I'm so fired up.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:58 pm

Trackwork has commenced, need 3 points still, but other than that, it's full steam ahead! Scenery is also being planned, updated Scarm renderings are nearly complete, a slight alteration was needed as the plan is to be able to connect with Kyriake's layout when that gets built, (i'll be measuring up with him this weekend).

(Pictures are imminent, hopefully in the next couple of days if I can get my phone to talk to my pc lol.)

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:33 pm

I've not got as far as I'd like trackwise, so I thought I'd post up some of the latest Scarm renderings. I know they aren't as good as seeing real tracks on baseboards, but it does show some work being done at least.

4-10-6b04f2f7-4fb5-4d35-93bb-ac6fdaaab74c_zpsff93df81.jpg

Overall shot with basic scenery added, (the brooke running through is saved on my latest update, but i'll post that with the pics of my actual tracklaying so far).

4-11-4068de60-584f-4075-bfbc-b08f5d3a3c31_zpsdf1ee905.jpg

This shows the end with the signalbox and line to the fiddleyard/later extention

4-12-1281d1dc-562d-4b39-8939-8f343ad67200_zpsa476b5e6.jpg

This is an overall shot from the opposite view with the engine shed in the distance.

Edit: Dammit and blast, photobucket seemed to save the resizing, but not the crop, which is bizarre as I resized them after I cropped them. Fixed now, although I had to do some weird enhancement on them in order for the forum to work with them.
Last edited by nickbrad on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”