Budgetbrooke

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
nickbrad

Budgetbrooke

Postby nickbrad » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi guys,
I am soon to begin building a layout in 00 gauge, but I am suffering from a complete mental block when it comes to planning which is where you lot come in.
I know that for some of you, designing track layouts is enjoyable and so I was hoping that by throwing down some basic ideas of what I would like, you guys could come up with suggestions.

Here's what you have to work with,
- 7ft x 2ft overall area
- diesel era, (not a kettle fan)
- single road platform capable of holding a Class 04 shunter and small/medium sized coach
- smallish MPD, (must be capable of holding at least 3 mainline diesel locos)
- some kind of freight terminal, (only need be big enough to handle a couple of bogie wagons)
- 2 hidden roads at the back capable of holding the length of trains mentioned above

Well folks, it's over to you, may I thank you in advance for your time and effort, no plan will be considered inadequate or useless, it may well be that I end up using elements from more than one plan.

Edit: green show the revisions I've made after original expectations were unrealistic.
Last edited by nickbrad on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.

whynot

Re: 00 gauge brainfreeze.

Postby whynot » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:45 pm

So... a shelf layout with hidden sidings! Have you started here to help free the brain? The principles described seem about right to me.

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/shelf-layout.htm
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:59 pm

Have thrown this together in AnyRail as a starting point... Just the basics really, the grey area on the left is the MPD area, the grey area on the right would be the freight depot (freight platform, with a warehouse, lorry yard, etc)...

Needs more work, of course, but as I said, a starting point for discussion.

PS: The difficult bit is the pointwork of the fiddle area and station entrance. To be able to fit a 3-car train in both sides of it, means that junction must be squashed in a bit.
To deal with that I've replaced it with another double slip... Also removed the 3rd road from the fiddle yard (you did specify 2, after all).

=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Kidneston (00) / Clatter (N) / Much Oakley (N) / Workbench |

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:29 pm

Thanks for that work dragonfly, it has highlighted one problem straightaway, I need to add a section as a fiddle yard, (which I can use outside on sunny days,) or run even shorter trains than I have planned.
The 7ft length is fixed as the main scenic section due to the only wall I have available to build the layout against has a door in it unfortunately.
I know many people will say at this point that N gauge will give me a lot more options, but I already have too much )) stuff to ever consider N gauge, even if I could live with the small size. (I'm quite ham fisted.)

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Loosely carrying on from what Dragonfly started, I have come up with this.
1-1-NicksPlan1.jpg

I have come to the realisation that I cannot run a couple of TEAs in on the rear of a class 60 in this sort of space, so working with the recently, (yesterday,) purchased "Charlie" Bachmann DCC loco as the basis of my traction for the layout, I have decided that it would be better to work on a light railway theme, very loosely based around the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway. (I originate from March in Cambridgeshire so it's fairly local to where I grew up.

A couple of points worth mentioning, the fiddle yard roads will reach the edge of the board to allow for possible future expansion if I find myself with available space. Also, I have incorporated a programming track/DC controlled track, (will be wired so either type of control can just be plugged in as 2ft is a lot of room to play with, especially once you decide that a heavily built up area won't feature in the plans.
I have gone for a tree backscene to split off the fiddle yard as a hill wouldn't look realistic in this scenario and on my plan above, a road overbridge wouldn't be able to lead anywhere either.

Anyway, if you can make any suggestions to either improve this or maybe even a different plan altogther, i'd be happy to see your ideas.

EDIT: My plan seems to have grown an extra 20cm width somehow so please ignore the programming track!
Last edited by nickbrad on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

S_Jay

Postby S_Jay » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:02 pm

My advice is to drop something. I would suggest a smaller station, the idea of and engine and 2 coaches in the diesel era is a non starter.

However having said that I had a go at this and came up with two plans. All Peco Streamline Code 100.

Plan One
I've not marked any areas other than to put a station and mark where the back scene would run. The fiddle yard is in red and has 3 lines, arranged in an unconventional manner.

Plan two
Based on this layout http://web.me.com/big.dee/Dyserth_Road_ ... lcome.html you get a lot for your money Plus lots of space at the front for scenic development. The green shed at the front is meant as an illustration. Again the red is the fiddle yard.

For me this size layout is suited to 70's diesel, don't forget that extra freight operations can be had with loco spares being bought in by rail. The station would be used by local workers (factory?). Any more modern, and you'd be struggling to justify the station.
My Layout, My world, My rules, if that's ok?
My layout with no progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=14866
My other layout with progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18394

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:55 pm

Matching the quality of Dyserth Road would be a dream come true, although it could be possible if I am patient.

I'm drawn more to your first plan though, it flows better and I could easily see the 2 sidings on the right in use for seperate industries.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:57 pm

Been playing around and based on S-Jay's first plan, so far I have this;

1-2-NicksPlan2-1.jpg

You'll notice that the fiddle yard area is broken up into 3 short sidings, having measured my rolling stock which I intend to use on the layout, they are all sufficiently long enough for what I need. Once again, the two fiddle lines reach the edge of the board to allow for possible future expansion.

I need 3 x SL-E91 and 5 x SL-E92 which are quite pricey, (the model shop assured me that my class 60 and 50 will be fine with these small points, please post if you've experienced otherwise,) but I'm hoping ebay will be my friend on this.

The october issue of Model Rail which features many micro layouts and ideas, has gotten me fired up for this now and I am kind of glad that I am limited in space. Eventual plans are to have all points working via wire in tube method, (can't afford to go down the point motor route,) feature lighted semaphore signalling, (and ground signals,) for night-time running and altered sleeper spacing to make the trackwork look a little more realistic. All this and general scenery should keep me busy for a long time and I hope that you will all enjoy coming along on the journey as the build begins and progresses.

Oh, the line has also gained a name, "Budgetbrooke", to reflect the cheap nature in which I shall be building this and I'm planning to keep a weekly running total of the cost.

As always, comments and suggestions are most welcome.
Last edited by nickbrad on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:29 pm

After your early morning post on Sonic_Vi's thread I was going to ask you "Subtle sweeps suit you too, sir?", but you seem to have taken that on board already now.

The latest plan looks much better than the original apart from the fact that you can't hold a passenger train in the platform whilst still being able to receive or despatch a freight or light engine. Would that be important to you?

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:43 pm

Nope, not important at all, the scenery will depict a quiet backwater station/yard area, so the passenger train, (only one coach long,) will never be in the station at the same time as the freight arrives, (unless they arrive together and the wagons are detached in the station).
The coach I shall be using is only 1750mm long, (I'll post a pic later, but I've seen a burnt out one on another thread,) 4 wheel wagons are the order of the day and a preservation/private group give the excuse for the engine shed area. (Also the reason for my Class 60 to appear lol.)

NEvans

Postby NEvans » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:23 pm

Agree with the rest if you want all you've suggested (which would make for interesting opperations) you would need a couple of feet longer, but there is some other potentially nice layouts suggested.
First foray into N Gauge: SimpleTown 4'x2'

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:31 pm

I'm happy that I can accomodate my revised wishes on 7ft length, in fact, unless someone comes up with a better plan, then the last one I posted will be the final layout. :)

PD.

Postby PD. » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:05 pm

nickbrad wrote:Here's what you have to work with,
- 7ft x 2ft overall area

PD goes back to start of thread, re-reads and realises that a 7ft x 2ft oval in OO was NOT what the OP was asking for :D

I will go back to making a mess of my own threads I think :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Praha Hlavní Nádraží (Prague Main Station)

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:13 pm

Nope, an oval would be horrific in 2ft width for me, I couldn't live with the overhang of stock,(assuming they could even go round the bends,) plus my beloved class 60 wouldn't be able to put in an appearance for a fact. :lol:

Don't feel bad for assuming I was planning an oval though, Ben at B&H Models in Lincoln assumed the same thing when I mentioned the size of the board and started saying how I'd need Jintys, 4wheeled coaches and so on, I only asked him originally if my class 60 would cope with Peco small radius points lol.

Incidentally, potentially setting myself up for failure, I've decided to put up a couple of deadlines;

- 12th November 2011 -- Have trackwork installed and wired up
- 19th November 2011 -- Have working semaphore signals including lighting up at night

nickbrad

Re: Budgetbrooke, plans are afoot.

Postby nickbrad » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:46 pm

Ok, I'm fairly certain that this is the final plan, pending testing on the actual baseboard when it's built.
1-3-NicksPlanWired.jpg

Ok, some explanations then for all those lines.

Firstly, the red and black lines are pretty simple, power from the controller to the tracks. DCC means no isolating sections are needed, but I'm wondering if I need to put some isolating fishplates in at the purple arrow or not. This is the only thing i'm unsure of with DCC, whether or not the track feeds need to be isolated from each other or not to prevent a short.

Any way, the pink line is where the baseboard will be split into 2 in case I move house or whatever, one board will be slightly longer than the other, but basically I want to avoid the pointwork. (I may move the whole track plan to the left a bit yet, I don't know).

The green lines are for my own reference for when I install the 'Wire In Tube' point controls. With a layout of this size, I don't need or want the expense of point motors when I can just move a lever on the front of the layout.

The blue squiggle shows roughly the course of the little brook, (to give reason to the layout/village's name,) plus I get to model a basic bridge, even if it is on the headshunt for the engine shed.
Last edited by nickbrad on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”