Gav's Tr@in Set II - Forgot To Tell You It's Finished!!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Spavo

Gav's Tr@in Set II - Forgot To Tell You It's Finished!!

Postby Spavo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Hello guys,

So I'm back in building and preparation mode....I'll be moving into a new apartment at the weekend and as I'll be having a spare room for the 1st time since forever....so there's only one thing for it, yet another train set!

The room is not that big but I will end of with a space of 340cm x 278cm with a board depth of 80cm, so not a bad size at all.

I'll be doing all the usual nonsense of settrack mixed with peco flexi and as ever it will be a roundy roundy twin mainline with through station and an independent branchline snaking round the inner edge of the board.

A full track plan will be published as soon as I have time but I have created on Anyrail the 4 main boards to give you a flavour of how the layout will operate.

The twin mainlines will be elevated around 2 sides of the board, right at the back so I have the luxury of plenty of space at the front.

All my usual mish mash of stock will be used on the new layout and I'm hoping for a build time to running of around 2 months, after that it will be a case of all the finer detail.

So enough of the chatter...here are the photo's of the plans for the 4 main boards.....if there are any glaring errors don't be shy in letting me know....

Board 1 Carriage Sidings and Through Station

This is the through station with passing loops and island platforms, out of the photo are twin crossovers to allow the down main across the up main and into the carriage sidings which are obviously to the right.

The lines at the top of the photo are the branch line which will run straight through with a bay platform.

As usual there will be a station pilot, this is the short single siding to the top right of the main station.

Board 2 Crossovers

These are the mainline crossovers interlinked with each way access onto the branch line....using this system any train can reach any track in either direction, self explanatory really!

Board 3 Engine Sheds & Yard

This board will definitely have some improvement when I get to lay the track as it is way too regimented and actually quite dull.

The loco yard is accessed from the loop for the branchline and although I don't mind this too much what I don't like are the straight and regimented sidings for the diesel stock on the right of the picture. I'm working on it!

Board 4 Branch Line Station and Yard

Alternatively I love the way the branch line station and fiddle yard has worked out, there is plenty of interest in shunting small freights and the workings are bi-directional which was really important to me.

So that's my lot for now.....here is the room I'll be working in....it's pretty dull....but a blank canvas....I won't be bothering you with too many updates, only when there is something actually happening.....

So thanks for looking and I'll be seeing you all very soon...

Gav.
Last edited by Spavo on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

pointstaken

Re: Gav's Tr@in Set II

Postby pointstaken » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:48 pm

Gavin,
Pleasure to see you back on the forum - don't stay away so long in future.
That is going to be a nice layout, judging by the plans. Looking forward to your updates.

Regards,
Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:17 pm

About time you showed up me old matey. Good to have you back.

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:58 am

Congratulations on your new apartment and railway room! It's good to see you back on the forum again and I know this will be a nice layout when you build it. The old one certainly did! :D
Carpe Diem!

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:12 pm

Hey Guys and thanks for the welcome back......I've really missed being around....

So a tiny update.....I sat up half the evening last night and remodelled the engine storage, it was driving me nuts and all those straight lines were killing me....

So here is the new plan....

The front 4 roads on the right will be the diesel area....with some decent use of some flexi I should be able to make the roads wide enough for the servicing unit etc etc......the 5th siding will be the overflow from the steam side on the left as I have more steamers than diesels....

On the left hand side the bottom siding is the arrivals road for the diesels, then the 4 above that are for the steamers....it may look a little over complicated but I have found over the years modelling that I do love to move quality loco's about....now sure my Hornby B12's aren't much fun over complicated pointwork but my goodness to move some of the bachmann and heljan stuff at crawling speeds through a yard is a real joy.

That's it for now....I'll be missing for a week or so, it's time for the dreaded dismantling of the old layout and then the starting of the boards for the new one....deep joy!!

See you all soon,

Gav.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:03 pm

Corr, I go away for a couple of weeks and look who walks in :wink:

Good to see you back Gav,

What scale are you going for this time :?:

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:41 pm

this looks very promising.

i will be keeping an eye on your new project :wink:

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:52 am

Thanks Hammy.....

LOFTY!!!! My old mucker....how are you mate....great to see you.....

Yes I am back from the basement of dreams mate and starting all over....seriously high amount of work, domestic drama and cashflow will keep this little project from running too fast but hell why not I thought...

It's OO gauge mate......my N gauge days are on hold until sometime down the line when I can not have to work and enjoy fiddling around with myself all day! lol!

Great to see you mate.....

Gav.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:39 pm

Just a small update for you guys.......I have omitted all the tedious parts such as making the basboards etc etc, tedious for me I mean.....

So I have a blank canvas to work with and have been enjoying myself in planning out the track, I have kept pretty much to my original trackplan but where possible used more flexi to get away from dead straight tracks and the like...

The fiddle yard is almost laid......the headshunt will pass way back alongside the passing loop for the down main and as you can see from the photo I have a lovely amount of space for my freight as well as spare passenger stock and the like.

Basically the arriving stock will come into the siding on the left hand side, this will be shunted into the other 3 sidings where the goods sheds will be etc and the same siding on the left will be used for the preparation of the next run....I am looking at approximately 15 wagons for the mainline runs and 10 for the branch, of course the mainline will have a 1 in 40 gradient in both directions so I'l need to keep an eye on loco power on the mainline.

That's it for now....more updates next week as I am away this weekend and will miss being able to crack on but needs must.

See you soon all,

Gav.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:39 am

Hello again all,

So I have been moving along steadily, not getting as much time on the layout as I would like but nevertheless things are going well.

I have around 25% of the track laid and the droppers installed for the DCC bus....the rest of the trackplan has taken shape with a few tweaks here and there......

I have made the incline, it doesn't serve any purpose at all except for the visual effect at the back of the layout, it is 1 in 40 gradient in both directions peaking at 6cm above baseboard height. As usual for me I have glued the raised areas on small pillars then used expanding foam underneath for support and to hide the edges.....by the way with the expanding foam should you wish to use this technique only use small amounts, let it cure for 4 hours and then go again, it is pretty strong stuff and can easily lift the boards off the support columns when it expands fully......so just watch for that.....

Then after the foam has cured, you need to cut off all the round bulbouse parts or it looks like a lunar landscape....then with filler and a pallet knive, make any adjustments to gaps or holes and to give it some interesting features and your done....well hopefully anyway. A quick coat of paint and you're ready to scenic it with whatever method you choose.

So a few pics for you....not very exciting I'm afraid but that's what updates are all about right??

Here is the almost complete trackwork for the main station and the entrance to the loco yards from the left hand side.

It is going to be a BIG station.....what I have always wanted to 2 with two passing loops on the mainline and then a separate feed onto the branchline platforms which also continue right round the board...I'm pretty pleased with the operational prospects of the station, it looks just like I hoped it would....

Having decided to swap the locations for the goods yard and the loco sheds I have been re-working the yard points to give me some decent length sidings as well as the run round loop for the branchline....this is about right now....

And finally here are a couple of shots of the unfinished raised part of the layout.....with the foam and cement mix ready for painting....although a little bit rough looking once it is painted and the scatter and scenic items are on I'm sure it will be fine....

So that's just about it for now.....I have plenty more track laying to be getting on with and of course the incline to paint so I'll see you all in a few days!

All the best

Gav.

craw607

Postby craw607 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi Gav.
Things seem to be moving along quite nicely and layout starting to take shape.
John

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Hi mate

Bloody hell, you've been a busy little sod haven't you? :) Nice to see you've got a fair bit up and done already. Any idea on the look of the station buildings yet? Or you gonna make it up as you go along as per normal? :P

Just of to Wales for the weekend so take your time with the answer... :lol:

Catcha later mate

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Spaaaavoooo! :D i wish i could get my butt as organised, liking the trackwork so far mate, interested to see a pannier waddle between the points bypassing the crossover in the first pic lol. Hope all's well chap and keep the updates coming!

Chris

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:25 am

Thanks Guys and great to see you....just like the old times!

So Tim yes.....It's going to be Mr Superquick as usual for better or for worse.....the roadway and main station entrance will be at the front of the board and from there on in it will be the usual made to measure platfrom kit in red brick or maybe the Metcalfe one that I normally use.

It's going to be 3 island platforms with the good old overbridges connecting the lot....I've never really done a big station before with lots of through lines so this will be fun for me....

Terrier me old mate....yes.....you won't find much of my trackwork in the Hornby geometry books! The little beauty I have created there looks a bit weird to say the least but as you I am looking forward to seeing if any of the rolling stock make it over the piece of pointwork without incident!!!

Have a great weekend lads and I'll see you all next week.

Gav.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:07 am

Hello Again,

So the track laying is all finished and I am really happy with it......although this layout has a whole lot of track for the size of the boards that is just a personal choice that I make, the whole thing about a layout for me is running trains....yes of course I like to do the scenic side but within reason the more track on the board the better for me......

I have left some good space across the whole board for a roadway etc but more importantly the whole point of the layout is about being "Behind a large station" so it will be more about access roads to small industrial units towards the centre of the layout rather than shops and a high street.

So the bus is just going in now, I should have that finished today....then it will be a matter of planning my buildings and buying some kits for the things I need.

After that....ballasting.....oh yeah! lol!

So here are a few pics of the crucial parts of the layout.....

So here is the main station throat with the branchline to the left, two station pilot roads, then the mainlines with the access to the loco sheds and sidings to the right.

Here are the North Junction crossovers, basically after much head scratching I managed to find a way for each of the lines to be accessible to any of the others, it works perfectly and I'm really pleased with it.

Here are the private sidings just off the branchline....whether this will be a cattle dock and warehouse or the like I've not decided yet but I am looking forward to having some small industry here.

And finally here is the goods yard, goods yard roads to the bottom of the pic, the two lines to the right are the mainlines, inside those are the branchline loops and then the roads to the top of the picture are for carriage sidings and overflow.

So that's my lot for now, I am looking forward to cracking on but it'll be the weekend thanks to work work work...

All the best guys,

Gav.
Last edited by Spavo on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”