Moorcroft (St Anthonys): Infront Cat's Garden Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Danny

Postby Danny » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:14 am

Hiya Tim

Hope your layout didn't get to much of a bashing from the weather over the weekend.

Looking forward to seeing some progress as it is getting warmer :).

Danny.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:14 pm

Don't worry Danny! It's tough as old mothers-in-law:wink:

Weather's weird again today (which makes my joints tingle- most odd experience, though I guess I'm used to it now :roll: ) so not done much. Still keeps on hailing intermittedly!

Oddly enough though, the sky has cleared in the last ten minutes and is clear blue!! Today, I'm mostly just clearing my dining room out so I have plenty of space to get on with the next base board. I'm going to make it on a 48"x18" sheet of 1/2 inch (12mm) ply with diagonal cross bracing for extra strength.

Once done, I'll then be able to properly finish off the table top structure so that all it requires is a paint job when the warmer weather comes (painting + cold weather = you're having a laugh mate!).

I may do a bit of wiring later today, especially if the hail doesn't come back. We shall see...

Cheers fellas

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:26 pm

Good day gentlemen and occasional lady.

Thought I'd just give a quick update. I didn't get around to doing anymore wiring, largely 'cos I just wanted to get the next bit of structure finished...and what a pain in the ar*e it has been!

I realised I had to measure up and build the station throat before I could think about finishing the table top section I was working on...easier said than done. The difficulty lay in that this next section is quite pivotal in that it is the first section to sit atop the lower level tracks. Thus, I have had to struggle sorting out issues of strength, clearance and accessibility for maintenance. Fortunately I think I've cracked it and, weather permitted, I should finish this section and the table-top part by next weekend...I hope.

The station throat is the first section that looks like a conventional railway baseboard in that it is made of half inch ply on (hand cut!) wooden cross members. I had to tailor make them because, logistics being a complete sh*t, I had to use wood of 21mm thickness (my hand is still shaking from excess use of the jigsaw) to properly marry it up with the trackbase leading up to it. What made it all the more tricky was the fact I needed to make it fully removable but to fit inside a permenant structure.

If it sounds a complicated mouthful to understand, try bl**dy sorting it out too! It was worth it though, 'cos a couple of friends have come round and commented about how good it looks, notwithstanding that it's made of scrap wood, so it looks a bit patchworky!

Big thanks to Mike (Mr T) from whom I received the first of my Red Cross Track Appeal parcels today, which I must admit made me smile sooo much. Thanks mate <still no thumbs up icon!> Maybe I will get this bl**dy thing finished! :wink:

Oh, and before I forget, I think I may have decided on a name for my as yet anonymous stations. I'd already chosen Blaxton Castle for the branchline station, as it will be next to the castle. Which will be made of black stone!

However, in view of the passing of my dear friends Sue (Munro) and Tony (Moorcroft) I have decided that the main station will be called Moorcroft (St Anthonys) and the 'ex GWR' platform will be Moorcroft (Munro Street). Beats having a Royal Doulton plate I think!

Cheers all, have a good Saturday night...and fingers firmly crossed for tonight's big game (just about to kick off :roll: )

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:54 pm

Great to hear your progressing with the layout:D 8)

Thanks

BR

FishBowlMan

Postby FishBowlMan » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:12 am

Hey Tim,

what a lovely tribute to departed friends by naming the stations after them.

The names you have chosen fit well and don't sound contrived.

Nice one,

John.
There is no room inside a box.

davek

Postby davek » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:29 am

FishBowlMan wrote:Hey Tim,
what a lovely tribute to departed friends by naming the stations after them.
The names you have chosen fit well and don't sound contrived.
Nice one,
John.

Seconded. Well done on the carpentry!! Sounds a pig to do!

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:43 am

Yet more genius from the Tim factory.....

Nice one mate, sounds like you are doing really well.....you need to borrow that camera again now as the progress sounds rapid!

All the best mate and keep the updates coming...

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:37 am

Weather forecast is excellent for Monday Tuesday and Wednesday... so ... no slacking, Tim!

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:21 pm

Derek wrote:Weather forecast is excellent for Monday Tuesday and Wednesday... so ... no slacking, Tim!

Cheeky :wink:

Warning: don't go to a Portuguese party if they are playing football. I did last night. Mind you, it was a brilliant game. The third goal was utterly stunning. Trouble is, my head is still trying to find its way home. I haven't been that pi**ed since about 1992.

More to the point, how the f*** did I manage to type legible posts at 5am this morning? :roll:

Funnily enough, I don't really have a hangover...but I think that might be 'cos I'm still tipsy :twisted: ..."SALUTE!"

I'm just going to mess about with points and stuff on the station throat board today. I fear if I do anything more adventurous I may accidentally cut my fingers off. Not a good idea.

Cheers (and too many beers...)

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:11 pm

Not so much an update as a notification: yes, it is the same thread, but I felt that, seeing as though I now have a name for the station, I might as well use it :wink:

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:28 pm

good work my man
michael

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:20 pm

Really like the name change mate, sounds good and of course done for a really good reason although I do kinda miss seeing the old name....

Nice one mate,

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

MrT

Postby MrT » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:32 am

Infrontcat wrote:Big thanks to Mike (Mr T) from whom I received the first of my Red Cross Track Appeal parcels today, which I must admit made me smile sooo much. Thanks mate <still no thumbs up icon!> Maybe I will get this bl**dy thing finished! :wink:

No problems mate, I hope its some use. Good luck with it all.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:23 pm

Pardon the French, but f*** me I love this site! Moorcroft St Anthonys is now well and truly back on course, thanks largely to the unbeleivable generosity of the members that have helped with my Blue Peter-like "Red Cross Track Appeal"...to the extent that I have enough to get on with for now! :)

Not quite sure how short I am from the final target, but I promise I'll try to make a 'Trackometer' to show how near I am to the final total when I get a chance.

Anyhow, I'm out in the garden in a mo so I can lay some track. Rock on!!!

Cheers

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

bunji

Postby bunji » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:19 pm

Glad to here things are somewhat (dare I say it? Yes! I shall!) back on track for now, Tim. :D

Oh boy am I funny. 8)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”